waterproof camera

What kind of camera do you use? I am wanting to get a waterproof camera for our excursions but I am looking to see what others use. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, preferably less than 100 bucks. My husband has thought about just getting a lifeproof case for our phones but I am a little iffy about that. Any ideas?

This little thing was great for me. It is a waterproof case with neck strap that lets you use your iphone from inside the "baggie" to take photos. i also bought a floating wrist strap for just in case it got dropped in the water. I highly recommend the float regardless of camera. I have now used this on several different vacations including cave tubing in Belize and at the local waterpark while going down slides.

JOTO Universal Waterproof Case

Waterproof Camera Float (2-pack)

What kind of camera do you use? I am wanting to get a waterproof camera for our excursions but I am looking to see what others use. Not wanting to spend a ton of money, preferably less than 100 bucks. My husband has thought about just getting a lifeproof case for our phones but I am a little iffy about that. Any ideas?

If you really don't want to spend more than $100 on a camera, don't bother, your phone will do a better job.

I bought a little point and shoot Nikon from someone I know who had no further use for it before out French Polynesia cruise. I bought it specifically to use underwater while snorkeling. I have a dry bag for my DSLR, but would never trust one for that type of longer term submersion with an expensive phone or camera.

The little point and shoot was fine for what I used it for, but wouldn't have been good as my only camera.

Bottom line, check out eBay for a deal on a waterproof point and shoot, you might be able to find a camera that would have been $200-300 new for $50-100 because someone bought it for a one time use and no longer needs it.

• 2 years later...

I can recommend the waterproof point and shoots from Nikon. Excellent results.

Remember that taking any kind of picture through some kind of case will reduce the quality of the picture. It all depends on the case and materials. I would personally think that flexible plastic for a phone "baggie" would potentially have the most potential for distortion, with optical glass or optical plastic having the least.

Here are the current Nikon offerings:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/compact-digital-cameras/waterproof-shockproof.page

Are you looking for waterproof so you can take it in the water, or just so your camera isn't damaged if it gets wet? Many newer phones are "splashproof" or actually briefly submersible ( but I wouldn't take my phone snorkeling, especially in salt water...).

There are Canon folks and there are Nikon folks.......

:D

I am a Canon person.

But any of the major brands are fine and work well. Personally, I would go with a real underwater camera, not try to use my phone in a bag.

And, what happens if your bag leaks? You want to replace your phone? On a cruise? And when did you last back it up??? :D