How "dark" are inside-cabins ?

Sailor1959

Yes, it will be pretty pitch dark except for the hallway lighting that you can see along the crack at the bottom of the door. I try to bring a night light to plug in to get a little light in the room.

Pro-Tip: take of couple of battery operated 'tea lights" for each side of the bed

leave the bathroom light on...but close the door almost all the way

leave the tv on to a channel that plays only the wave sound...which may be too bright if you like a dark room

You've already gotten the best tips. Yes, if you turn everything off, it will be pitch dark.

Best tips--bring a night light. Leave bathroom light on and door cracked open. Turn the TV to the "View from the Bridge" channel and mute the sound. That way, when it gets light outside, the TV screen will light up. This is less than optimal on cruises to Alaska.

There is a little "glow" thing by the bathroom door, but this isn't really a light.

we bring a cute lantern-style nightlight (battery operated) with three settings and use it on the lowest setting. I also bring a battery operated "closet" light that you press on, and use it in the bathroom at night so that the bathroom light doesn't blind/wake everyone else up.

The only time we ever slept through breakfast and lunch was when we had an inside cabin. We’ve never slept so well.

A little plug in night light or battery operated tea lights will help if your claustrophobic. Otherwise, enjoy the dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

V E R Y dark.

If you are in rough seas, the bathroom door (left ajar) will slam back and forth.

I bring motion detector battery operated lights to guide me to the bathroom.

All other suggestions are very helpful.

The only time we ever slept through breakfast and lunch was when we had an inside cabin. We’ve never slept so well.

A little plug in night light or battery operated tea lights will help if your claustrophobic. Otherwise, enjoy the dark!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to agree with you. I had the best sleep of my life in an interior cabin. If I didn't have a wake up call and the phone rang, I would have slept through the entire day. There's nothing like it.

We've had some rough seas where I've gotten up and closed the bathroom door, but most of the time I can leave it "cracked" with no issue. You get next to nothing under the exterior door of the cabin and the bathroom door when closed. At one point I took a tiny flashlight and put it on the table next to the bed.

Are there automatic night-lights in inside-cabins ?

If we turn OFF the lights... will it be pitch dark ?

TIA,

Yep - pitch black except for maybe the light coming under the door - I usually put a towel down there so it blocks the light. There are no night lights per se but you can always bring one.

Many years ago when we were young and poor we always booked inside cabins. I will admit that I have had some of the best nights (and days) of sleeping in those inside cabins when I had no clue whether it was day or night. Now we are no longer poor (or young) and usually have cabins with balconies and the early morning light that usually leaks around the curtains.....wake me at the crack of dawn. On Princess this is not a bad thing because I quietly sneak out of our cabin (leaving DW soundly sleeping) and wonder down to the International Cafe (my home when on a Princess ship) where I usually meet a few others who have sleep issues :).

Hank

Many years ago when we were young and poor we always booked inside cabins. I will admit that I have had some of the best nights (and days) of sleeping in those inside cabins when I had no clue whether it was day or night.

My query was for friends who will be sailing with us and to save fund$ they opted for an inside-cabin.

DW and I started with an outside-cabin (circa mid-70s) and once we booked a balcony... it's strictly Balcony for us.

A suite is on my Bucket-List but... money (or the lack of) gets in the way. ;p

Fortunately/Unfortunately... I have a built-in "clock" where I automatically wake up after 6-hours or so.

I agree with you regarding the International Cafe as my savior. :cool:

I loved the darkness of the inside cabin, slept like a baby! But yeah, definitely pitch black and no way to tell night from day.

Got a balcony room on my second cruise and while I loved the morning sunrise photo opportunities, I definitely didn’t sleep as well (though that could also be because the second time I was with my grandma and she needed to keep the bathroom light on and door opened for the first half of the trip to get to the bathroom. I eventually bought her a torch so I could get some sleep through the night!).