Packing Cubes

ChuckL88

Hi all

I am planning for my first cruise and just want to get opinions on packing cubes.

a) Do you use them and why?

b) Where did you get yours and price range?

c) How do you pack them e.g. rolling or folding?

d) What do you pack in them and how do you pack what you don't pack in them?

Pro Packing Cubes Lightweight Travel Cube Luggage Organizers -

4 Piece Set

4.7 out of 5 stars 1,290 customer reviews

| 65 answered questions

I get them from amazon..... example....I may use the larger one for my underwear and socks, medium for my hair stuff, smaller ones for just about anything that I want to be able to grab quickly, and categorize stuff. Possibilities endless!

Sometimes I roll things, sometimes lay them flat on each other like tshirts.....depends where we are going and how long we will be gone

And how much I overpack is my problem

The best part of these, when you get to your room, just lay them in designated drawers..... I bought another similar large one also for my swim bottoms and cover ups....

:cool:

This set was twenty bucks

absolutely love them.. I got them on amazon all different sizes and colors , talk about organization I love the fact that

I can have one for everything I will need for my pre cruise night without going into the suitcase and looking through everything , I have all my clothes I will need for my day I leave the hotel , I pack all my dirty laundry in one to come home with so that one hits the laundry room , one hits the bathroom , while everything else hits the bedroom .

Pro Packing Cubes Lightweight Travel Cube Luggage Organizers -

4 Piece Set

4.7 out of 5 stars 1,290 customer reviews

| 65 answered questions

I get them from amazon..... example....I may use the larger one for my underwear and socks, medium for my hair stuff, smaller ones for just about anything that I want to be able to grab quickly, and categorize stuff. Possibilities endless!

Sometimes I roll things, sometimes lay them flat on each other like tshirts.....depends where we are going and how long we will be gone

And how much I overpack is my problem

The best part of these, when you get to your room, just lay them in designated drawers..... I bought another similar large one also for my swim bottoms and cover ups....

:cool:

This set was twenty bucks

Thanks for the response KC :)

Bought from Ebags, ultralight packing cubes, usually roll clothes into them. Great to keep all your stuff organized!

Have used these for a couple of years and many trips and they have held up well!

Thanks for the reply utopia :)

absolutely love them.. I got them on amazon all different sizes and colors , talk about organization I love the fact that

I can have one for everything I will need for my pre cruise night without going into the suitcase and looking through everything , I have all my clothes I will need for my day I leave the hotel , I pack all my dirty laundry in one to come home with so that one hits the laundry room , one hits the bathroom , while everything else hits the bedroom .

Hi keene state mom

Love your enthusiasm for them, and your motto at the end.

I couldn't understand the hype about packing cubes years ago, and then I got a sample pack of 3 cubes from a freebie from eBags. So I tried the 3 out. LOVED THEM! I was thrilled that the next platinum gift we got from Carnival was packing cubes. I pack everything but shoes in them. My suitcase looks so neat--for the outbound trip anyway. I like the ones that have a little handle on the top.

Edited by mizLORInj

I ordered the Amazon Basics packing cubes and they are fantastic. I started with Rick Steves' (a couple of free ones when I bought a suitcase from his Travel Store) but they are pricier.

For the large, flat "cube," I pack clothing flat. For other shapes, I roll (since I believe rolling is the most space-saving).

My offspring don't yet understand the value in packing cubes.

After reading this thread and a review from a cruiser that used packing cubes I decided to buy some. I purchased these from Amazon.

7 Set Waterproof Packing Cube - 3 Travel Cubes + 3 Pouches + 1 Shoe Bag (Deep Blue) in 2 colours. $16.99 each

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B074R81R3R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using them for about 10 years. I roll my clothes in them, less wrinkles.

I got mine in various places....Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, and I got a 3 pack on closeout at Lands end. Sierra Trading Post is another good place to try.

I will use the larger and medium ones for shirts, shorts, etc. and the small one in the top zip compartment of my carryon bag to hold my flight medication, keys for suitcases, cash, iPod, and passport/boarding pass for airplane.

I don’t put sweatshirts in the cube, too bulky.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn’t understand the big fuss until I tried them, now I am also a believer. I use a small cube for a sundress, sandals, and undies in my carryon for the first night (just in case luggage is late), bathing suits/coverups/sarongs in a medium, and lingerie/sleepwear in another medium. I put dresses and shorts outfits in a large cube so I can take the cube to the closet and stand there to put everything on hangers to avoid tripping over my SO by walking back and forth. I gather all unused clothing into one cube for the trip home. I use the plastic bags that newspapers are delivered in for my shoes, storing them on the narrow shelf at the top of the closet and always putting the last pair I wore back into the bag when I take out a different pair, so they are extremely easy to pack. The individual bags also fit into a cube.

Bought Compression Packing Cubes last week from Amazon. It's our first time trying any cubes and I got the compression ones to try to cut down on the number of suitcases we take on our cruises.

I don't know that I would pack anything that might be subject to too much wrinkling, but used them for underwear, jammies, bathing suits, etc. and they compress to take up about half the normal space.

quite frankly the Hefty Jumbo zip/lock bags work better than anything I've tried over about 25 cruises and I'm a wrinkle ****. About 3-4 T-Shirts and 2-3 polo shirt per bag-don't over stuff. Smaller bags can be used for just about every thing else including socks, underwear, ties, belts, toiletries and its so much easier to unpack because everything is organized and visible. I've tried a bunch of the more expensive options that everybody raves about and I get better results from the Hefty bags

Bought Compression Packing Cubes last week from Amazon. It's our first time trying any cubes and I got the compression ones to try to cut down on the number of suitcases we take on our cruises.

I don't know that I would pack anything that might be subject to too much wrinkling, but used them for underwear, jammies, bathing suits, etc. and they compress to take up about half the normal space.

Compression bags are the best to eliminate wrinkles. Pack suit, shirts, dresses all in one bag. The trick is to not fold anything separately. Lay them all out flat on. Top of each other and fold one at a time over a soft core item like lingerie. Hard to explain but works like a charm. Packed all our cruise clothes that way and left them in a packed bag the whole time we did a 10 day land tour in Alaska before the cruise. Not a wrinkle!

My problem with the cubes is that now I don’t have small items like socks to fill shoes and odd spots with. :D

I have several that are semi-permanent for use from cruise to cruise.

One for electronics - chargers, extension cord, flash light, battery chargers for camera

One first aid kit - bandaids, antiseptic, cold pills, Advil, suntan lotion, aloe Vera

One for cosmetics for me; one for hubby's shaving stuff

They sit on the shelf between cruises. I usually replenish them at the end of a cruise so that they are ready to go the next time.

I just started using cubes and they seem to help. I like the fact that everything is together. Swimsuits and covers together, dresses, underwear, I even used one for my power cords and electronic batteries and camera stuff. Created a lot of organization because of the compartments. I kept my stuff in them once in the cabin because it was easier to keep them in the cube and stack in the closet. I bought a mid range set from amazon and watched a ton of videos on you tube about packing in them. The first time , it didn’t cut down on amount of things I brought but I see where they are helpful and I will keep trying to fit everything in one carry on. We drive to the port so I can keep practicing until I perfect it. Although I got the shoe bags, I didn’t use them, instead I bought dollar store plastic shower caps and put my shoes in those to keep everything clean. I then used the shoe bags for other stuff. I had nothing loose in my suitcase and that seemed to help. When we returned, I mixed up my husbands and my stuff and my sons things and just put them in random cubes, then I could fit all of the stuff randomly in each of our suitcases. We also had laundry done on the cruise and those bags were tightly packed so I could just throw those in the suitcase too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums