Northern Lights in November

manonabike

It's now under 12 months until we go off in search of the Northern Lights. I was wondering how cold this cruise gets and what clothing we should get (ideally in the end of season sales hence asking now)? I quite fancy a fur lined parka.

Any other tips for excursions especially with young children (2 & 5).

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A quick Google search for weather in your ports (try "November Alesund weather, for example) will get you the factual data.

Yes, this year it was -2 to -14 but a lot depends on what you’re doing. Is the dog sled trip going to freeze us or watching the lights is cozy? The raw data only gives you so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A quick Google search for weather in your ports (try "November Alesund weather, for example) will get you the factual data.

Ålesund is not that far North and influenced by the temperature of the sea and the Gulf Stream - rather search Kirkenes - might even be +10 C (50F) in Ålesund - further north it might be -10 C (15 F).

Bring warm footwear for snow /rain, gloves, hat, sweater/fleece and weather proof/wind breaker clothing - it will be windy on the upper decks of the ship.

Enjoy your cruise - I'm also planning a Northern Light Cruise - probably beginning of 2019.

For more inspiration my Midnight Sun Cruise review

This is my wife mid june with gloves, hat and weather proof clothing!

IMG_9615.JPG

The suggestion for Alesund was simply an example. The OP should use a couple of ports on their cruise.

If the "raw data" gives me -2 to -14 degrees F, I am going to be bundled up thoroughly. I don't need more than that. Nobody is going to be able to predict exactly how you will feel, based on the activities you might do.

Yes, this year it was -2 to -14 but a lot depends on what you’re doing. Is the dog sled trip going to freeze us or watching the lights is cozy? The raw data only gives you so much.

Not likely to be -14 F in November, but certainly in January / February in Kirkenes - also very much depend on the wind and chill factor.

The weather is wildly unpredictable, so be prepared for anything in the range.

This just underscores the old advice that layers are your best option. Not only are they more likely to keep you warm (because warm air gets trapped between them and creates better insulation), but also because you have no idea whether it's going to be at the top end of the spectrum or the bottom!

If you're looking to capitalize on end-of-season sales, my advice would be wool technical base layers. A wool base layer top and bottom will go extremely far in making existing clothes more cold-weather appropriate, and technical garments will wick moisture, so that if you end up overdressed, you won't have problems with sweat making you feel clammy and uncomfortable.

Second choice would be insulated winter shoes. In especially cold temperatures, my feet are always the first thing to become uncomfortably cold, and when I bought my first pair of insulated winter shoes, it was amazing how much longer I could stay outside.

And as mentioned earlier, when traveling by ship, a windproof jacket is essential, since the breeze from the moving ship is going to make it feel much colder even if there's no wind. It doesn't matter too much how thick a jacket is if the wind can get through it. The combination of a wool baselayer, thick fleece, and a windproof/waterproof shell is often as effective as all but the heaviest of parkas.

I've not done a NL cruise, but I've been to Iceland twice, including once in winter. I imagine dressing is similar - lots of layers. The standard advice is a good moisture wicking base layer, either smart wool or performance fabric. (I love my Arctryx Rho gear, and wear the top as a regular shirt in our Texas winters.) Next a fleece layer, can even be cheap Old Navy, etc. Over that, on the bottom a water/wind proof layer. On top, a warm coat (hooded to help block the wind), followed by a water/wind proof layer. Avoid down, as it tends to get soggy when wet. Avoid jeans/anything cotton as well, as they get wet and never warm up.

Add a good hat with ear coverings, a scarf or neck gaiter, good mittens/gloves. You can fly with chemical hand warmers, which can be a slice of heaven for chilled hands and feet.

Footwear depends on what you'll be doing in ports, whether you'll need simply warm vs warm, waterproof, and sturdy. Good smart wool socks are a must.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not done this cruise but we took a trip to Iceland the last week of October. The weather is definitely unpredictable. We only had rain 1 day and it was sunny and clear the other 6. It was not even that cold. It was in the 40-50 degree range every day. However, you would randomly need warmer clothes because the wind would come and make it feel cold for periods of time. Layers is the best thing you can wear like everyone else said. We had heavy parkas from Eddie Bauer which were wind and water proof. We only wore them a few times because of the warm weather but you will probably need one. One of the best things that kept us warm were under armor type of shirts. I got them at Target so they were cheaper and made a good base layer. If you plan on visiting the water falls and want to walk behind them during this cruise definitely take waterproof pants to throw on. The most important piece of clothing we had were our waterproof boots. Even if it was not raining, they kept our feet warm and were comfortable. We lucked out weather wise I believe. I hope you get to see the Northern Lights. We were fortunate enough to see them and they were AMAZING!!

• 7 months later...

Excursions just released. Have got the dilemma of ‘Do we book the Norther Lights excursion (very expensive for a family of 4) or do we hope to see them from the ship? We do have a balcony.

2nd question: has anyone done Dog sledding in December? It’s not offered by P&O but could do an independent booking.

Thanks in advance.

Excursions just released. Have got the dilemma of ‘Do we book the Norther Lights excursion (very expensive for a family of 4) or do we hope to see them from the ship? We do have a balcony.

2nd question: has anyone done Dog sledding in December? It’s not offered by P&O but could do an independent booking.

What is your itinerary? It should be possible to see from the ship - depends on clouds and possible the position of the moon. I'm sailing in January and does certainly expect to see the Northern light from the ship.

The advantage of the excursion is that a bus will drive you to a spot with much better chances to see the Northern Light.

Dog sledging in December is great (and cold) - the tour company will provide extra warm clothing for the tour.

What is your itinerary? It should be possible to see from the ship - depends on clouds and possible the position of the moon. I'm sailing in January and does certainly expect to see the Northern light from the ship.

The advantage of the excursion is that a bus will drive you to a spot with much better chances to see the Northern Light.

Dog sledging in December is great (and cold) - the tour company will provide extra warm clothing for the tour.

We have a couple of nights in Alta so hopefully at least one will be clear.

We have a couple of nights in Alta so hopefully at least one will be clear.

Should be good chances. Sunset will be just after noon - depending of date. Will be dark. Full moon is November 23, which might impact the view.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If seeing the lights is important to you, take the tour. It could well be cloudy at the ship or just no lights there, but the tour guides are all in touch with each other and if one sees them, the others go to that region so everyone sees them. No tour wants disappointed customers so they all work together to get the most happy visitors.

After November 26 it will be polar night in Alta - you will have twilight from 9 am to 2 pm. Moon will be in it's last phase and not causing problems. I do not know the harbour in Alta and the amount of light in the harbour or from the city - but it might decrease the chances to see the light form the ship - it might we wise to follow the advise of Nitemare - it will be a pity to miss the Northern light once in Alta - there are many local tour providers - search the web or visit http://www.visitalta.no/en/ - assuming you stay over bight in Alta.