Bliss - Bring Your Luggage Tags to Seattle

Could it be that Bliss is so much larger than the other ships that usually dock in Seattle? There may be concerns that congestion in and around the port may be much worse than usual.

That and the port probably doesn't want to hire any additional staff, even part time until absolutely necessary.

Could it be that Bliss is so much larger than the other ships that usually dock in Seattle? There may be concerns that congestion in and around the port may be much worse than usual.

I would think this would be a major factor. There isn’t that much room in front of pier 66.

Just how much:

The BLISS is 1082 feet long 20 decks high 4000+ passengers

The JEWEL is 971 feet long 15 decks high 2400+ passengers

So a ship about 1/3 bigger and longer and higher and it is reported that with the

JEWEL class ships there is inadequate pier space to handle it GO FIGURE !

Just how much:

So a ship about 1/3 bigger and longer and higher and it is reported that with the

:o:o:o:o:o

That and the port probably doesn't want to hire any additional staff, even part time until absolutely necessary.

Noted that the stevedores are union and management wants to keep the cost down.

Part time and temporary help is not in the union play book !

It appears that the status quo is the solution.

Are there special luggage tag porters? I thought all the pier workers were union.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If arriving by air and using the NCL transfer service the pier porters will be bypassed by the cruise customer.

NCL is requesting that you use the mailed or website baggage tags be applied after claiming airport baggage

and a Truck Service will take care of the rest (read copy of NCL letter image post #1) - TIP the Truck service

driver and maybe he will split the pool with the pier staff.

Baggage handled by the Transfer Bus will no doubt be handled as usual with luggage being given to the

porters by the customer after getting it off the bus. Tip accordingly at that time.

As for those passengers that check-in at the dock the union staff porters will take care of your luggage tagged

or not (union rules require union porters to tag untagged bags). Tip accordingly at that time.

Regardless it is going to be "ZOO" !

1981194998_NCLSEATTLEBAG.thumb.jpg.13113469f45ca9b962cd189321cad332.jpg

Kind of misleading. Its the same with every NCL cruise. Print off the tags that are with your edocs and attach them to your luggage. It is NOT using YOUR OWN tags.

Your Own = "Not done by porters". The intent was pretty obvious.

We sail NCL several times a year. We have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We sailed on NCL a couple of weeks ago and NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We have sailed to Alaska the past 3 years from Seattle on the Jewel and have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise".

A reduction in the expense for NCL to have a cruise and thus a saving in the cost of the cruise to passengers.

NCL actually signed a 15-year lease for the Bell Street cruise terminal and splitting the $30M cost of upgrading the facility with the Port of Seattle. NCL is investing in its customers, not skimping on them.

Just how much:

Didn't they just expand the pier in order to accommodate the Bliss? I don't think it's going to be a problem with the pier itself, as much as manpower and traffic flow on Alaskan Way. Just remembering all the double parked Uber's, taxi's and shuttles last year for the Pearl sailing, I can't help but think that it will be almost twice as bad for the Bliss. I'm thinking it's going to take a few sailing before the logistic's are worked out on the end of the port authority.

Either that or a possible strike, it's about time for one on the west coast again.

Everyone seems to be ignoring the line in the ketter that says : ENCLOSED ARE YOUR LUGGAGE TAGS. It seems that NCL is sending Bliss passengers luggage tags, or is it that the OP is in a suite or the Haven and they are reminding him to attach his own tags. No where in the letter does it mention printing your own luggage tags.

Another issue that people seem to be missing is that if the union workers need to attach your luggage tag, they will need to look you up in the manifest they have. this takes time can can cause delays and some traffic congestion area the port area. Ideally in a perfect world, it should be a very quick process of dropping off luggage to the porters and enter the terminal.

I dont know the layout of the Seattle terminal, but i know the New York Terminal can get very crowded very quickly at the entrance of the terminal. By having people show up prepare, it can reduce the crowds

Everyone seems to be ignoring the line in the ketter that says : ENCLOSED ARE YOUR LUGGAGE TAGS. It seems that NCL is sending Bliss passengers luggage tags, or is it that the OP is in a suite or the Haven and they are reminding him to attach his own tags. No where in the letter does it mention printing your own luggage tags.

Nope. We can not afford the Haven prices on the Bliss to Alaska. We are in a Deck 15 mini-suite. These are the first non-suite luggage tags we have received since they discontinued mailing them.

That being said, the Bliss is Dark Purple (every ship has it's own color). And they decided that it was a "good idea" to print our cabin details in black ink over a dark purple background. Needless to say, it is very hard/impossible to make out the cabin numbers. So, we're going to use the ones in our edocs which are black on a white background with the "dark purple" only at the bottoms.

Normally, you never want to get that email or snail mail envelope labeled "important information about your cruise". It is normally never good news. But,,, it was just unusable luggage tags.

Just how much:

It was a cluster puck crowd wise getting on and off the Jewel. I can't imagine what it will be like with more pax. The new terminal might be bigger but I'm pretty sure the streets are the same Lol

It was a cluster puck crowd wise getting on and off the Jewel. I can't imagine what it will be like with more pax. The new terminal might be bigger but I'm pretty sure the streets are the same Lol

Totally agree. We normally arrive early and drive to the car rental place near the port, and take the car rental shuttle over to the port. The streets around the port are a total zoo,,, mostly because people decide that they are going to drop people off in the middle of the street.

I didn't know the Seattle port is that crazy busy. I'm glad I booked the Marriott across the street for next month.

I starting to think maybe I should have. But, I thought I read somewhere even though the Mariott is across the street, it's really not walkable to the pier.

NCL advises all guests to bring their own luggage tags to the Port of Seattle and not get stuck waiting for a union worker to tag it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's going to be a royal pain. Here I have a cruise from Miami to Los Angeles, and I have to bring luggage tags to Seattle???

They could have told me LAST week, when I was already there! :halo::evilsmile::evilsmile:

I starting to think maybe I should have. But, I thought I read somewhere even though the Mariott is across the street, it's really not walkable to the pier.

From the Mariott it's an easy walk to the pier. Down to the Bell St, pedestrian bridge that takes you right to the pier. I walked it from the Hilton on 6th street not too bad of a walk if you avoid the Pike Pl Market.

I didnt know the seattle port is that crazy busy. I'm glad I booked the marriott across the street for next month.

It no so much crazy as the terminal is right on the main street with a very small drop off area. Hopefully, some of the terminal improvements have fixed that or made changes to the traffic flow during disembarkation and embarkation times.