New Ship New Venue Needed??

Something else to think about.

Everyones case in different.

We have a 16 year old daughter who has CP is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair. She has just returned from her 13th cruise.

A cruise is a great way for Mum and Dad to have a break from the normal life of housework, cooking and cleaning as well as caring for a disabled child.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Absolutely, we just took our little 5yr grandson on a 3 night cruise, he had two days off school.

His parents separated at Xmas, he moved house, started Kindy.

He walked off the ship with his lanyard and cruise card, t shirt he painted and medal he won around his neck and a big smile!!!

I agree it isnt beneficial all the time and every ones circumstances are different.

What is it about parents taking kids out of school willy nilly? You can't tell me they are all home-schooled. A parent with a child of school age has a responsibility to have the child in school IMO. A cruise to the Pacific Islands is generally not a high educational itinerary for most passengers. I can see why education departments are trying to crack down on kids missing school for holidays.

Perhaps I should duck and run now from all the parents/grandparents who do cruise with school age children in term time.

Every circumstance is different, I run my own business, it would stupid of me to take time off at the busiest times, My son is on the autistic spectrum, at the end of year 2 at school he was still at kindergarten level, he was at a private school with lots of learning programs for kids with difficulties but it still was not enough, we had no choice but to pull him out of school and home school him, now after 2 years of home school he has caught up to his correct year level after lots of hard work, time and effort.

I would love nothing more to be able to send my son to school but I don't have that choice.

Learning can be done anywhere and once outside the constraints of the education system it's amazing what kids will learn and want to learn about.

Before you judge others maybe you should walk a mile in their shoes.

I don't understand why cruise lines like Celebrity don't have Adults only itineraries?

There seem to be a lot of people who would prefer to travel without kids on board and we don't all want to spend the amounts charged by the luxury cruise lines. At the moment it seems that every cruise line based in Australia is aimed at families; not ideal for a early 40s Childfree couple like my husband and I (and yes we travel outside of school holidays and still we can't avoid them).

I don't understand why cruise lines like Celebrity don't have Adults only itineraries?

There seem to be a lot of people who would prefer to travel without kids on board and we don't all want to spend the amounts charged by the luxury cruise lines. At the moment it seems that every cruise line based in Australia is aimed at families; not ideal for a early 40s Childfree couple like my husband and I (and yes we travel outside of school holidays and still we can't avoid them).

I think the cruise lines that limit the amount of kids on board like P&O do a pretty good job as they only have so much room in the kid's clubs and the kids actually enjoy going to them. Other lines X and Princess are basically pricing families /kids off them with limited activities and the additional costs. It really only leaves RCI and Carnival that are sitting somewhere in between where they cater for so many kids and families but do not limit it to that number.

First off, the major lines are good at finding what is in their financial interest, so it can be seen there is still more money to be made for catering for all, than just for niche markets.

That said, the only viable way to do it is to do it on a ship wide basis, as P&O do. It's far too complicated and confusing to do it on an itinerary basis. Simply, people book as groups, invite friends then have problems because they find others can't come and get very annoyed. Similarly, people have an experience on one itinerary than make a natural assumption on another itinerary and similar get surprised and thus annoyed when it is different. Adding to that, the complication just on those travel staff who do know the difference, but then need to search out the different rules on each sailing when working with customers.

We cruised NZ on Celebrity last month and I don't think I saw a single kid onboard, although there probably were a few. However there would probably be more on a South Pacific cruise.

We also did a Carnival South Pacific cruise and found it quite easy to stay out of the way of the kids most of the time. We used the Serenity area, had the late traditional dinner sitting, and frequented the Piano Bar after dinner. The only time we saw kids was around some of the bars during pre-dinner drinks, or when getting lunch from the buffet.

We've also been on a number of other cruises, including two Christmas cruises, but have rarely been annoyed by kids on a ship. Most ships have adults-only areas and pools and, at least in our region, these seem to stay kid-free.

I think the cruise lines that limit the amount of kids on board like P&O do a pretty good job as they only have so much room in the kid's clubs and the kids actually enjoy going to them. Other lines X and Princess are basically pricing families /kids off them with limited activities and the additional costs. It really only leaves RCI and Carnival that are sitting somewhere in between where they cater for so many kids and families but do not limit it to that number.

I think you'll find Princess limits the number of children too. The parents who choose these trips know their kids aren't going to get the whizz bang ziplines and wave pools but what they do get is the opportunity to mix with other kids on a real level, share experiences and develop friendships.

We've frequently seen young teens dressed to the nines on formal night going off to their disco, sharing happy/sad farewells at dawn on embarkation day, but aside from swatting for exams in the quiet of the library or dining with their parents in the MDR we've not noticed them around the ship the whole cruise. Where were they hiding? Or is it that they and we, were so busy with our own activities that we didn't notice how many kids were onboard until it was time to get off?

I think you'll find Princess limits the number of children too. The parents who choose these trips know their kids aren't going to get the whizz bang ziplines and wave pools but what they do get is the opportunity to mix with other kids on a real level, share experiences and develop friendships.

Good to know that they do have good kid's clubs but numbers are limited.

I just have one problem with kids on my upcoming p&o cruise.

My sister and brother in law are coming and bringing their 3 children so just a little inescapable. Especially the one who will be 6 by then and is my roommate [emoji14].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've frequently seen young teens dressed to the nines on formal night going off to their disco, sharing happy/sad farewells at dawn on embarkation day, but aside from swatting for exams in the quiet of the library or dining with their parents in the MDR we've not noticed them around the ship the whole cruise. Where were they hiding? Or is it that they and we, were so busy with our own activities that we didn't notice how many kids were onboard until it was time to get off?

Yep Princess have a limit on kid numbers.

I can answer this (as someone who has taken kids out of school). Our workplaces require staff to rotate when they take their leave (ie. the entire team can't all be on leave in July school holidays). Also, most work places have certain times of the year when they are really busy & you can't take leave. Take into account most families have 2 parents working (with different busy periods in their jobs). The reality then becomes that its not always possible to take leave during the school holidays.

Personally, we only take the kids out of school if there is no other option. Even then we try to tack it onto the end or start of term so as not to disrupt their learning too much. They also bring school work with them and are able to log in to their classroom where ever we can get internet access.

Yes getting time off work is not easy im only alowed 1 christmas off in 7 years

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Forums mobile app

I just have one problem with kids on my upcoming p&o cruise.

My sister and brother in law are coming and bringing their 3 children so just a little inescapable. Especially the one who will be 6 by then and is my roommate [emoji14].

Just lock the door.

Limit kids numbers on Princess??? Isn't it a retirement village (cruise). Lol Sorry had to. Been on one. Very slow paced. Not to bad. Will go back in 12 years when i hit 60... Sorry if i offended..

We did a PNG cruise on Sun Princess and, although there were a lot of us older folk on that cruise, Crooners was hopping every night until we reached Brisbane. Quite a few people disembarked then and a new group, with quite a few younger ones, joined the cruise. Things were a lot quieter in Crooners for the last two nights.

I feel I have a pretty low tolerance for children misbehaving despite having 3 of my own. I've never really experienced bad behaviour by children on Carnival or P&O, including during school holidays. See much worse on an average day out at the beach or lunch at a cafe in Sydney.

The kids were all either in the pool, at kids club or doing the kid-oriented activities. Very easy to avoid by just going to the adults pool, to later dining or activities that wouldn't interest kids.

As soon as my kids have taken themselves off to kids club my main cruise aim is always to avoid all children as much as possible. I've always found that was pretty easy just by going to quieter parts of the ship. Obviously the main pool deck is not the place to go for peace and quiet. :)

I think I once had someone do a knock and run on our door and that is about it.

As for the trivia, game shows, deck games etc, I thought having kids there enhanced the atmosphere as they are all so enthusiastic.

Of course if you can't stand children at all then it is going to be an issue.

I feel I have a pretty low tolerance for children misbehaving despite having 3 of my own. I've never really experienced bad behaviour by children on Carnival or P&O, including during school holidays. See much worse on an average day out at the beach or lunch at a cafe in Sydney.

The kids were all either in the pool, at kids club or doing the kid-oriented activities. Very easy to avoid by just going to the adults pool, to later dining or activities that wouldn't interest kids.

As soon as my kids have taken themselves off to kids club my main cruise aim is always to avoid all children as much as possible. I've always found that was pretty easy just by going to quieter parts of the ship. Obviously the main pool deck is not the place to go for peace and quiet. :)

I think I once had someone do a knock and run on our door and that is about it.

As for the trivia, game shows, deck games etc, I thought having kids there enhanced the atmosphere as they are all so enthusiastic.

Of course if you can't stand children at all then it is going to be an issue.

That gives me hope as I was concerned about naughty children on my next cruise. On the solstice I only saw ones who were behaved. Adults only spaces will suit me just fine!

Going with 3 nephews who love to swim and are likely to go to the kids club they should have plenty to do. If they're naughty to me their parents can deal with them. They'll ban them from something fun for sure. [emoji14]

That gives me hope as I was concerned about naughty children on my next cruise. On the solstice I only saw ones who were behaved. Adults only spaces will suit me just fine!

Going with 3 nephews who love to swim and are likely to go to the kids club they should have plenty to do. If they're naughty to me their parents can deal with them. They'll ban them from something fun for sure. [emoji14]

A bit of discipline early will stop most misbehaviour later.

BTW, I don't think Corporal Punishment is necessary, there are much better forms of discipline.

Our last P&O cruise they had "Youth Security" staff monitoring the swimming pools and public areas. Great idea! Made sure everyone was safe and kids behaviour wasn't detracting from other people's holidays.

I wonder if they make cabin calls. Say around 6.30 if the nephew decides to wake me up. I'm not a morning person [emoji6]

I wonder if they make cabin calls. Say around 6.30 if the nephew decides to wake me up. I'm not a morning person [emoji6]

I'd be getting him a swipe card for Mum and Dad's cabin so he can take himself off for some quality time with them in the morning. :)