Credit Card Charged in error


Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:42 AM.
14 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by pete14
Just out of interest, does the £100 OBC cover the amount you lost through this error plus your out of pocket expenses?
This offer had nothing to do with an expense claim. I did not incur charges but that was not the only embarrassment caused by this fiasco. I was informed that each case was dealt with individually.As I posted, I decided to accept their offer
England
920 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
Originally posted by P&O SUE
I notice everyone has been emailing 'customer services'. I saw a post on FB and they emailed 'paymentsupport @pocruises.com' so I emailed them a got a reply same day with a £50 OBC offer.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Many thanks for the email address. I had received two of the emails regarding this issue whilst on Aurora a few weeks ago. I hadn't incurred any loss as a result, but your post made me think "nothing ventured....". So I sent an email and within 36 hours received an apology and £100 OBC for our next cruise. Very happy with that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
P&O Cruises Experience – 143 nights over 13 cruises (Aurora x 3, Azura, Britannia x 3, Oceana x 2, Oriana x 2, Ventura x 2)
P&O Cruises to Come - 74 nights over 5 cruises (2018 - Aurora, Arcadia, Aurora, 2019 - Aurora x 2)

674(A) Oriana 14/5/96. Southampton to Istanbul (Fly back). 8 nights. Outside Cabin.
E620 Oceana 11/8/06. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
E720 Oceana 12/8/07. Canaries. 13 nights. Outside Cabin.
X912 Oriana 24/7/09. Baltic. 14 nights. Outside Cabin.
A118 Azura 5/8/11. Eastern Mediterranean. 16 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
N321 Ventura 18/8/13. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Superior Deluxe Balcony Cabin.
B517 Britannia 15/8/15. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
B622 Britannia 23/7/16. Norwegian Fjords. 7 nights. Forward Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.
N703 Ventura 15/2/17. Amsterdam & Bruges. 4 nights. Penthouse Suite.
R705 Aurora 13/5/17. Baltic. 16 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
B721 Britannia 22/7/17. Western Mediterranean. 14 nights. Aft Suite + Adjacent Balcony Cabin.

R718 Aurora 20/10/17. Zeebrugge (although didn’t dock due to storm). 2 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin. Back to Back with;
R719 Aurora 22/10/17. Spain & France. 7 nights. Accessible Balcony Cabin.
Southsea
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by Selbourne
Many thanks for the email address. I had received two of the emails regarding this issue whilst on Aurora a few weeks ago. I hadn't incurred any loss as a result, but your post made me think "nothing ventured....". So I sent an email and within 36 hours received an apology and £100 OBC for our next cruise. Very happy with that.
Well done you Selbourne (and P&O Sue), lets hope all still waiting (and some who were hesitant) do the same.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
Stoke on Trent
461 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by barriead
Well done you Selbourne (and P&O Sue), lets hope all still waiting (and some who were hesitant) do the same.
Why? You lost nothing. If they hadn't told you this error had happened you wouldn't even have known.
Southsea
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by pete14
Why? You lost nothing. If they hadn't told you this error had happened you wouldn't even have known.
Pete14, if you have followed this thread you may have noted the anger, upset and worry that somebody accessing your Bank Account without permission can cause.

While it may not have bothered you personally...it did bother me and others on here...Carnival could not bring themselves to send a personal apology so on that basis alone I will certainly enjoy the £100 goodwill payment on my next cruise, and as Carnival have decided this is how they are going to deal with "their mess" its only right everyone affected by this should also receive the goodwill payments.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
Stoke on Trent
461 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by barriead
Pete14, if you have followed this thread you may have noted the anger, upset and worry that somebody accessing your Bank Account without permission can cause.

While it may not have bothered you personally...it did bother me and others on here...Carnival could not bring themselves to send a personal apology so on that basis alone I will certainly enjoy the £100 goodwill payment on my next cruise, and as Carnival have decided this is how they are going to deal with "their mess" its only right everyone affected by this should also receive the goodwill payments.
If you had followed the thread, you will have noticed that recently I had to be issued with a new debit card due to a well known high street company (or a third party supplier) being hacked and bank details (possibly including mine) being accessed. Fortunately I lost nothing so I have not even considered expecting a payment. I will rely on the regulator of such things to take action and not seem to profit from their alleged negligence.
Southsea
178 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by pete14
If you had followed the thread, you will have noticed that recently I had to be issued with a new debit card due to a well known high street company (or a third party supplier) being hacked and bank details (possibly including mine) being accessed. Fortunately I lost nothing so I have not even considered expecting a payment. I will rely on the regulator of such things to take action and not seem to profit from their alleged negligence.
Hmmm, your taking the moral high ground here is mute as the "goodwill payments" have been offered by Carnival as an apology for their wrongdoing and not generated by people after compensation...that is still being dealt with.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Regards
Barrie
Norfolk UK
764 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Still waiting for a response from Customer Services. However, in the meantime I emailed the Chief Executive of Carnival, [email protected] and had a response from someone in his team in just over 24 hours sorting things out to our satisfaction. Might be worth a second email for anyone who hasn't heard back from normal channels.
14 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
I had to email twice before I got a response. To all affected....please dont give up. They have got away lightly so you make sure you are awarded some gesture for your inconvecience
Scotland
793 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
We'll I am still patiently waiting for a reply from P&O. I did not contact them for compensation, only for an
explaination as to why they retained my card details without my permission, in breach of data protection and subsequently reused them months later without my authority.

Many people on Facebook have also asked this question. So far there has been no reply and they appear to be constantly evading the question.


Does this mean that they still don't know what caused this several weeks on or that they have no intention of telling people who have a legitimate interest in knowing as their credit / debit accounts were affected.


If they don't know how it happened is it fair to assume that it could happen again?


If they do know then it would be reassuring to customers if they came out and told us that x happened and we have done x to make sure it does not happen again.


In responses from customer services has anyone out there been given a credible explanation about this so far (something other than simply passing the blame onto their third party provider)?
UK
278 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Eglesbrech
why they retained my card details without my permission, in breach of data protection
Merely keeping card details is not a breach of the DPA. Failing to apply suitable protection to them may not be either, depending on the circumstances. However, inadequate control will be in breach of the Payment Card Industry - Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).

As it happens, I have not been affected by this issue - but have had P&O apply an erroneous on-board charge to my credit card immediately after my last cruise, which they cannot explain and which they say may take weeks to refund because of the backlog of other problems.
Scotland
793 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
Originally posted by Teddy123
Merely keeping card details is not a breach of the DPA. Failing to apply suitable protection to them may not be either, depending on the circumstances. However, inadequate control will be in breach of the Payment Card Industry - Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).

As it happens, I have not been affected by this issue - but have had P&O apply an erroneous on-board charge to my credit card immediately after my last cruise, which they cannot explain and which they say may take weeks to refund because of the backlog of other problems.
Just out of interest was the erroneous charge made before of after this recent debacle?

Wouldn't argue with you re the ins and outs DPA or PCI as I am only a lay person trying to understand why a company has retained my details for apparently no good reason and then processed them again. On a simple reading I would have thought that they were not allowed to keep details longer than necessary and that reprocessing would be a real issue but I will await a reply.
UK
278 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
This was at the end of May. My card was charged the correct amount for my on-board spend, then a separate small amount as if I had made another purchase at 3am - which I hadn't. I guess this may have just been human error rather than the same problem others had - although P&O have provided no explanation.