Hello again

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:44 AM.
West Country, UK
4,285 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Seems it wasn't a rumour, Sharon. I feel sad for Aussies who have already made travel plans to cruise on Adonia after March, 2018. I was actually looking at the same cruises for myself, because they had great itineraries. However, I no longer book cruises ahead, after MSC changed a TA cruise from departing Genoa, Italy to departing Kiel, Germany (which we cruised on).

Good news for Azamara, which will now have three small ships in its fleet.
Indeed it is sad for those booked. I have to say that, much as I loved the cruise to Scotland and Ireland, we both came to the conclusion we didn't really like the ship. She is great for port-heavy itineraries, but not enough open deck space IMO for lots of sea days or inside for poor weather.

Sorry I haven't been around much but now have publisher for my world cruise book plus another after that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

To come:-
Saga Sapphire Xmas Markets 2017
Aurora circumnavigation of South America 2018

Oriana - Iceland & Greenland July 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

>
West Country, UK
4,285 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Haven't organised anything yet, Ruby but planning on flying to Singapore, spending ? days there, then overnight in Hong Kong at end of cruise, flying home for Christmas.

Cruise is
Singapore
Ko Samui
Bangkok, Klong Toey (3)
Saigon (2)
Da Nang - Hue and Hoi An
- Halong Bay, Hanoi (2)
Hong Kong
14 days

Azamara has just bought the Adonia from P&O UK - all R ships - so we might see them Down Under more often.

Might you be able to take photos of the ship, inside and in port for me Marion? Next book is on the R ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

>
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Might you be able to take photos of the ship, inside and in port for me Marion? Next book is on the R ships.
Sorry Sharon, I don't take my camera with me when I travel anymore - one less heavy thing to worry about. However, I still think like a photographer, so am aware of "perfect" shots.

I have just holidayed at Kangaroo Island, a photographer's paradise of spectacular scenery and wildlife, yet didn't take my camera.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
West Country, UK
4,285 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Sorry Sharon, I don't take my camera with me when I travel anymore - one less heavy thing to worry about. However, I still think like a photographer, so am aware of "perfect" shots.

I have just holidayed at Kangaroo Island, a photographer's paradise of spectacular scenery and wildlife, yet didn't take my camera.
Oh well - just a thought. I really enjoyed Kangaroo Is, except our private guide drove everywhere at around 70mph! We had to ask him to slow down or stop for photos - could barely spot a kangaroo at that speed!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Oh well - just a thought. I really enjoyed Kangaroo Is, except our private guide drove everywhere at around 70mph! We had to ask him to slow down or stop for photos - could barely spot a kangaroo at that speed!
Kangaroo Island wildlife are at their best at dawn and dusk, so not ideal for a day trip (like a lot of places).

Your comments on Adonia were interesting, because I was comparing it to cruising on Hurtigruten up the Norwegian coast. I love their Panorama Lounges, where we lived on our previous Norwegian Coastal Voyage, as well as to FI, SG and Antarctica.

Wishing you all the best with your next world cruise book.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Saga Ruby
Sharon - I enjoy reading a series of mystery books whose main character is Dr. Siri Paiborne, the national coroner for Cambodia. The author is Colin Cotterill. I just finished The Rat Catcher's Olympics and eagerly await next year's proffering.
I never dreamed that I would like to read about Southeast Asia murders, but my geography of that region has increased dramatically, such as Thailand being just across the river from Cambodia. And references of The War ring a bell in my memory of the reality of the failures of the Communist system. The author has indirectly taught me excellent details of that region.
If you would like to learn about this region while enjoying fine storytelling, I highly recommend these books.
Ruby
Sounds like a good read, Ruby. I used to read a lot of books, but now mainly read non fiction. I agree you can learn a lot about a region from reading books. Prior to my first visit to Bangkok, I read a book about a young Canadian girl who went to Thailand. It changed my attitude, so enhanced my visit.
Have you been to South East Asia?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

West Country, UK
4,285 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Kangaroo Island wildlife are at their best at dawn and dusk, so not ideal for a day trip (like a lot of places).

Your comments on Adonia were interesting, because I was comparing it to cruising on Hurtigruten up the Norwegian coast. I love their Panorama Lounges, where we lived on our previous Norwegian Coastal Voyage, as well as to FI, SG and Antarctica.

Wishing you all the best with your next world cruise book.
Ah, that's when I like to be outdoors.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>
Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Sounds like a good read, Ruby. I used to read a lot of books, but now mainly read non fiction. I agree you can learn a lot about a region from reading books. Prior to my first visit to Bangkok, I read a book about a young Canadian girl who went to Thailand. It changed my attitude, so enhanced my visit.
Have you been to South East Asia?
I have been in SE Asia enuf to say Enuf. I have not done detailed travels in the smaller countries but I have thoroughly done Bangkok and surrounds, southern Thailand, and Hong Kong. Some places I want to see something, some places I want to soak up the local culture.

Kangaroos - I was staying on the Gold Coast in Oz, Marion's part of the world, and a taxi driver was taking me into Cairns to shop. He said they have to be careful on the road to keep a look-out for 'roos. Something about kangaroos escaping into the surrounding countryside many years ago and, being efficient breeders, now populate certain areas.

Outside of Brisbane, I visited a tourist ranch which let us soak up the Aussie experience on any level you can imagine. When our van drove up to the entrance. there were huge, dark-red 'roos sprawled all over that beautiful green lawn, I wouldn't want to tangle with a kangaroo that size on the highway at speed.

Ruby
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Kangaroos - I was staying on the Gold Coast in Oz, Marion's part of the world, and a taxi driver was taking me into Cairns to shop. He said they have to be careful on the road to keep a look-out for 'roos. Something about kangaroos escaping into the surrounding countryside many years ago and, being efficient breeders, now populate certain areas.
Outside of Brisbane, I visited a tourist ranch which let us soak up the Aussie experience on any level you can imagine. When our van drove up to the entrance. there were huge, dark-red 'roos sprawled all over that beautiful green lawn, I wouldn't want to tangle with a kangaroo that size on the highway at speed.
Ruby
You have certainly had a lot of interesting experiences during your travels, Ruby.
I see kangaroos resting under the trees on a Golf Course at Hope Island at the Gold Coast. One was recently outside the fenced golf course, on the edge of the road, so you have to keep an eye out for kangaroos. We hit one in a hire car in southern Western Australia, despite driving slowly. They are most active at dawn and dusk.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
You have certainly had a lot of interesting experiences during your travels, Ruby.

I sometimes wonder if I have had these marvy experiences because I am a solo traveler. I noticed that guides act one way with couples, another way with me when they see that I am interested and up to date on current events of their country. My most favorite activity with my guides is to invite them to join me for lunch.

The Las Vegas massacre has kept me low. I watch TV too much to see the most recent news updates, but I go to bed early and take naps in my chair because fatigue speaketh. I read a book, Columbine, many years ago and it was so beautifully written and researched that I learned a lot about psychopaths. I believe that this shooter will ultimately be diagnosed as a psychopath. But, whatever the reason, my heart breaks for victims in these too-many killings.

Here's to better days.
Ruby
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I sometimes wonder if I have had these marvy experiences because I am a solo traveler. I noticed that guides act one way with couples, another way with me when they see that I am interested and up to date on current events of their country. My most favorite activity with my guides is to invite them to join me for lunch.
The Las Vegas massacre has kept me low. I watch TV too much to see the most recent news updates, but I go to bed early and take naps in my chair because fatigue speaketh. I read a book, Columbine, many years ago and it was so beautifully written and researched that I learned a lot about psychopaths. I believe that this shooter will ultimately be diagnosed as a psychopath. But, whatever the reason, my heart breaks for victims in these too-many killings.
Here's to better days.
Ruby
I suspect it is because of your sense of adventure/discovery! The advantage of being a solo traveler is that you can be spontaneous, change your mind and just go with the flow. You are also brave!
Just read an email from the shooter to a prostitute that he was bad because of his father. I suspect there might be some truth in that. But then why him and not his brother?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I suspect it is because of your sense of adventure/discovery! The advantage of being a solo traveler is that you can be spontaneous, change your mind and just go with the flow. You are also brave!
Just read an email from the shooter to a prostitute that he was bad because of his father. I suspect there might be some truth in that. But then why him and not his brother?
It is true that I enjoy being able to spin on a dime upon arrival in some exotic port. When I walked down the gangway in Lam Shabang, the port of Bangkok, my car and guide were waiting by the elephants who were welcoming us. My guide said she wanted to inform me that the River Kwai was dry, it was a long trip, and did I want to change our itinerary. Why, yes indeedy, I did.
Decades ago, a friend of mine said she was interested in joining me on an Alaskan cruise which was fine with me. But then she realized that the cost of the cruise was outside her budget. I was silently relieved because she was a dedicated shopper, I am not, we would have spent our brief port stops looking for tees.
I learned the concept of studying up on local politics when I visited a B&B in New Zealand. I happened to mention how nice it was that a woman, Mrs. Clark, was the prime minister. The B&B owner was quite startled that I knew that a female was in power in NZ. I also experienced a 7.2 earthquake at that same home. Being alone and a Texan, I had no idea why the Earth was shaking.
The Vegas shooter and his brother - I have always been interested to see the vast differences among siblings. My sister and I were raised in the same house, by the same parents, and yet we could not be more different.
Life is a funny ole thang.
Ruby
Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I'm trying to remember something. Back in the '80s, there were three Italian ships in one cruise line and it seemed like everyone was crazy about their ships and their services. I was happily cruising on RVL so didn't pay much attention. Can you name that cruise line and the 3 ships?

The reason that I ask is that, many moons ago, I was in Singapore on RVL and noticed that the cruise ship docked at the next berth had its name literally painted over and a new name on the bow. I looked carefully at the painted-out, bas-relief name and it was one of those ex-Italian ships.
I do remember that, in those days, pax went to the laundry rooms on each deck to use their hair dryers which never appealed to me, so I made a mental note not to sail on this cruise line.

In Singapore, I suddenly realized that the new owners were too cheap to remove the protruding original name and had simply painted over it. I'm sorry I missed traveling on that cruise line.

Can you help?

Ruby
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
You might be referring to the ships of the Home Line which was started after WWII with Italian, Swedish and German interests. They went out of business in 1988 after being purchased by Holland America. Originally they started out with some very old liners which were converted for the post WWII immigration to North and South America but later concentrated on Caribbean cruising, mostly from New York and sometimes Florida. The ships were not registered in Italy and did not have Italian names with the exception of the ITALIA, the former post WWI KUNGSHOLM Swedish American Line. Their crew, however, was Italian and they had a great reputation and following, especially in the New York area. In the 80's they had the OCEANIC, which was built at Malfacone, Italy. I sailed on her once to Bermuda and Nassau. She was a lovely ship and had important design innovations which became the standard for subsequent ships, i.e. centrally placed pool with Magrodome, funnel towards the stern and even some cabins with balconies. Other ships of the line were the Doric (originally the SHALOM which was built for the Zim Line), the ATLANTIC, now the MSC Melody, and the 2nd HOMERIC, later Holland America's WESTERDAM, now THOMPSON DREAM. I'm not sure which ship you may have seen in Singapore. Wikipedia has more details about the Home Line's complicated history and their ships. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Lines
There are still people who remember this line very well and rave about their time on board and especially the food and service. They post on the CC thread "Whatever Happened To..."
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ships on Which I've Sailed
C. Columbus
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Mercury
Constitution
Crown Odyssey
Danau Prinzessin
Eurodam
Europa
Fairsky
Fascination
France
Galaxy
Galileo Galilei
Leonardo da Vinci
Michelangelo
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Oceanic
Oriana
QE2
QM2
Queen Victoria
R6
Raffaello
Rotterdam VI
Royal Princess
Royal Viking Star
Sagafjord
Saga Rose
Santa Rosa
Sardegna
Seven Seas Mariner
Seven Seas Navigator
Seven Seas Voyager
Sicilia
Silver Cloud
Silver Spirit
Silver Wind
Sky Princess
Sovereign of The Seas
Stella Solaris
Valtur Prima
Volendam

Some of The Classic Vessels Visited But, Alas, Not Sailed On
Amerikanis
Angelina Lauro
Atlantic (Home Lines)
Argentina (Moore-McCormack)
Berlin (North German LLoyd)
Bremen (North German LLoyd)
Canberra
Cristoforo Colombo
Cunard Countess
Doric
Gripsholm
Guglielmo Marconi
Nordic Prince
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary
Queen of Bermuda
Rotterdam V
Royal Viking Sun
Saga Ruby
Saturnia
Savannah
Scandanavia
Song of America
Statendam V
Statendam VI
Tropicale
United States
Veendam
Volendam
491 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
So what do you think, Ruby? Could this be the answer to your question?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ships on Which I've Sailed
C. Columbus
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Mercury
Constitution
Crown Odyssey
Danau Prinzessin
Eurodam
Europa
Fairsky
Fascination
France
Galaxy
Galileo Galilei
Leonardo da Vinci
Michelangelo
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Oceanic
Oriana
QE2
QM2
Queen Victoria
R6
Raffaello
Rotterdam VI
Royal Princess
Royal Viking Star
Sagafjord
Saga Rose
Santa Rosa
Sardegna
Seven Seas Mariner
Seven Seas Navigator
Seven Seas Voyager
Sicilia
Silver Cloud
Silver Spirit
Silver Wind
Sky Princess
Sovereign of The Seas
Stella Solaris
Valtur Prima
Volendam

Some of The Classic Vessels Visited But, Alas, Not Sailed On
Amerikanis
Angelina Lauro
Atlantic (Home Lines)
Argentina (Moore-McCormack)
Berlin (North German LLoyd)
Bremen (North German LLoyd)
Canberra
Cristoforo Colombo
Cunard Countess
Doric
Gripsholm
Guglielmo Marconi
Nordic Prince
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Mary
Queen of Bermuda
Rotterdam V
Royal Viking Sun
Saga Ruby
Saturnia
Savannah
Scandanavia
Song of America
Statendam V
Statendam VI
Tropicale
United States
Veendam
Volendam
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Conte Di Savoia

You certainly have a wealth of knowledge about older cruise ships.

My first trip overseas was on a cruise from Australia to London return 1969/70 - panama on way over (queen Frederica), via South Africa, India and Ceylon on way home (Suez was closed)(p&o cHUSAN).

I am looking forward to my next cruise on small ship, Azamara Journey, from Singapore to Hong Kong, as I've always wanted to be able to cruise up the rivers to Bangkok and Saigon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Conte Di Savoia

I've been musing about your very kind, informed reply. I keep thinking that those Italian ships all ended in the italian "i" like Danieli or something along those lines.

But your info is fascinating. It makes me miss Ye Olde Dayz of maritime luxury. Thanks for the info and enjoy your Samsung.

Ruby
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
To my well travelled friends, any special memories/recommendations for the following ports of call, which I'll be visiting on my cruise in December?

Singapore (3 days)
Ko Samui
Bangkok (2.1/2 days)
HCMC (1.3/4 days)
Da Nang
Hanoi/Halong Bay (1.1/2 days)
Hong Kong
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,022 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Marion - Following are my thoughts and memories of your East Asia ports: I was in East Asia a few times in the '90s.

Singapore was one big shopping mall. I got the giggles in one huge mall where I went to the ladies' toilet and found beautifully dressed young women standing in the main room, parceling out light-purple toilet paper to each woman as we entered. There was one mall that had an aquarium in a lower level, so large that it contained full-sized sharks. You can visit Raffles Hotel and the Long Bar off the lobby where the Singapore Sling was invented but only guests can go upstairs. The arrival into the port of Singapore has that famous lion out in the harbor; it is quite a sight.

Hong Kong is a whirlwind of activity of shopping, food, a subway from Tsim Sha Sui to the island of Hong Kong. That famous Star ferry is fun to ride back and forth; the seat backs are turned by incoming pax. Be sure to get on the main deck or you'll wind up below stairs, as it were, with no view of that famous ride. And listen on the island for the noonday gun which is close to the port on the island. One of my most favorite views in the world is looking over the harbor, reached by tram. There is a marked contrast where the YMCA hotel is across a narrow alley from The Peninsula Hotel. Locals flock to the afternoon tea at the Peninsula and you have to wait on line if you're not a hotel guest.

Bangkok really spoke to me. The tuk-tuks are convenient for getting around but also scary to ride. There are various religious temples that I visited; I learned that you must step over a sill to enter the Hindu temple; the sill keeps out the bad spirits. I took a ride in a long-tailed boat out to the Floating Markets and so much enjoyed seeing the reality of local life in this water world. I visited the grounds of the royal palace and also the Temple of the Emeral Buddha, the main religious temple for that country. Be warned that guards walk around the tourists and worshippers, tapping extended feet on the cool concrete floor, as they say, "Feet, feet!" Do not ever point your feet at anything or anyone in Thailand.

I hope this info is of interest to you. Remember, that in all cases, the weather is very hot and very humid. A small cheap umbrella would be helpful in keeping the broiling sun off your head.

Ruby
Gold Coast
10,217 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Marion - Following are my thoughts and memories of your East Asia ports: I was in East Asia a few times in the '90s.
Singapore was one big shopping mall. I got the giggles in one huge mall where I went to the ladies' toilet and found beautifully dressed young women standing in the main room, parceling out light-purple toilet paper to each woman as we entered. There was one mall that had an aquarium in a lower level, so large that it contained full-sized sharks. You can visit Raffles Hotel and the Long Bar off the lobby where the Singapore Sling was invented but only guests can go upstairs. The arrival into the port of Singapore has that famous lion out in the harbor; it is quite a sight.
Hong Kong is a whirlwind of activity of shopping, food, a subway from Tsim Sha Sui to the island of Hong Kong. That famous Star ferry is fun to ride back and forth; the seat backs are turned by incoming pax. Be sure to get on the main deck or you'll wind up below stairs, as it were, with no view of that famous ride. And listen on the island for the noonday gun which is close to the port on the island. One of my most favorite views in the world is looking over the harbor, reached by tram. There is a marked contrast where the YMCA hotel is across a narrow alley from The Peninsula Hotel. Locals flock to the afternoon tea at the Peninsula and you have to wait on line if you're not a hotel guest.
Bangkok really spoke to me. The tuk-tuks are convenient for getting around but also scary to ride. There are various religious temples that I visited; I learned that you must step over a sill to enter the Hindu temple; the sill keeps out the bad spirits. I took a ride in a long-tailed boat out to the Floating Markets and so much enjoyed seeing the reality of local life in this water world. I visited the grounds of the royal palace and also the Temple of the Emeral Buddha, the main religious temple for that country. Be warned that guards walk around the tourists and worshippers, tapping extended feet on the cool concrete floor, as they say, "Feet, feet!" Do not ever point your feet at anything or anyone in Thailand.
I hope this info is of interest to you. Remember, that in all cases, the weather is very hot and very humid. A small cheap umbrella would be helpful in keeping the broiling sun off your head.
Ruby
Thanks for sharing your memories, Ruby.
I learnt that you can only wear clothes once because of the heat and humidity and having a cold shower during the day didn't help cooling down, once you went outside again.
I am taking small packets of tissues for possible use in toilets, as well as to put on an empty table to save my place, whilst I get food from hawker centres.
I'll make sure I get on the main deck when I take the Star Ferry ride. I'm flying home after a day in Hong Kong, but have stayed at the YMCA previously. It is such a great location.
In Bangkok, my throat got burnt from laughing too much, inhaling the fumes, riding the tuk tuks. I am thinking of doing a boat tour to the Floating Markets, so pleased you enjoyed your visit. I love taking local boat tours on the River and klongs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion