Shorts on QM2?

MT Pockets

I’m going on the 7/1/04 4-day NY Cruise to Nowhere, and trying to decide whether or not to plan on packing shorts. (Being from Texas, wearing shorts in July is very common!)

Was on a Carnival Caribbean cruise last summer, and of course didn’t think twice about wearing shorts every day. (And don’t recall ever being too cold due to inside A/C.)

I realize that wearing shorts on previous crossings probably is not an issue due to cooler weather. And the discussions about appropriate dress for Formal vs Informal vs Casual evening dining is clear.

I’ve read that shorts are not acceptable for Afternoon Tea – are there any other areas on the ship or activities where shorts are not acceptable? What about breakfast and lunch in the Britannia?

I’ve also wondered since this short trip includes July 4th fireworks, if more children might be onboard (and perhaps less “formal” than previous sailings?)

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not “complaining” about the “dress codes”. I’m just trying to make decisions about advance shopping! And don’t want to change clothes three times a day!

Any comments? Thanks for your input and opinions!

We were on the Queen Eliz. 2 for July 4th "op sail 2000". (Brittania dining room.) While out on the Atlantic we wore slacks, or I put on a skirt and top for daytime and changed into more dressy for evening. Closer to shore we both wore shorts (no short/short for us anymore lol) during the day--even to breakfast as it was very, very, very hot and humid.
For this voyage: Planning slacks during the day while on the ocean, and shorts during the day closer to land--especially for 4th of July!
Not taking bathing suit--too much to see to sit!
Taking two gowns, my husband his tux and sport jacket/slacks for evening. Wearing what I wear to board for dinner first night (skirt and top or slacks and nice top)--slacks and a dressy top last night. Don't care if I'm not casual enough--like to dress to the occasion and being on the Queen Mary 2 is a special occasion for us and we want to do our best for her. Final decision will depend on weather prediction.

Ill try again

The official Cunard policy is that shorts are not allowed in any of the formal restaurants ie Brittania, Queens and Princess grills for any meals including breakfast and lunch.

On the westbound transatlantic the weather was not shorts weather therefore dont think anyone tested the policy.

Shorts are allowed in the public rooms/bars during the day (Commodore Club may be pushing it!) No problem in Kings Court for either breakfast or lunch.

HI-I AM TRAVELING ON THE TRANSATLANTIC CRUISE FROM SOUTHHAMPTON TO NY ON JULY 22- WILL THE WEATHER BE WARM AT SEA FOR SUNBATHING ON DECK? AND IS IT CASUAL TO WEAR SHORTS DURING THE DAY DOING ACTIVITIES ( NOT IN THE DINING ROOMS)THROUGHOUT THE SHIP!THANKS!!

Its fine to wear shorts for ativities etc.

With regard to the weather, should be OK but you have to remember the ship sails at around an average of 25 knots which generates quite a breeze and you are in the open ocean so there may be a chill in the air when you are not in a sheltered place.

Just back from Romantic Caribbean.

Shorts (nice walking shorts, NOT shorty shorts) were prevelant daytimes. Inside and outside. People were seated for tea with longer shorts and capris. MOnday I asked the maitre d in the Britannia at breakfast if they would seat me indiscreetly out of sight as I had inadvertantly put walking shorts on first thing. He has me -- at the Commodore's Table!! There were others in long dress shorts in the dining room as well.

Shorts were accepted in other rooms all day long. We did put long pants on for Tea in the Winter Garden.

We found the wind was fierce while steaming full speed ahead at 28 knots coupled with whatever natural winds were there. The back decks on level 6 and 7 gave the most protection from the wind if you wanted to sit in the sun or shade.The pool area on deck 13 (?) was enclosed and covered, so wind was not an issued.

We found the average age was 60-70, and so many people never put any shorts or "sun" clothing on at all. It just wasn't their lifestyle to begin with. And there is so much to see and do, I only put a bathing suit on once!

• 2 weeks later...
I've been to tea in shorts on QE2 & QM2, and no one sent me away or gave me poor service. QM2 on trip 2 was a more casual ship than QE2. If you have decent length shorts - no jeans, I just don't see a problem.

Others who are talking about crossings, do have a point. It isn't usually that warm on the north Atlantic, and the wind from the ship moving forward is a significant factor. Try sticking your head out the window of your car when it is going 30 miles an hour and see the temperature difference.

QE2 1969 x2, 1978 x2, 2001 x2 1 trip in 1991, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003
SS France 1972 x2 and 1974 x1 SS Raffaello 1974 & 1975
Sea Venture 1974 to Bermuda SS Rotterdam 1976 & 1977 Nassau & Bermuda
Noordam 1992 & 94/95 Statendam 1993
Horizon 1996
Galaxy 1997 - trip #3 ??
Windward (Now Norwegian Wind) 1997 3 trips before lengthening
Ryndam 1999 Amsterdam - New Years 02/03 Serenade Of The Seas 2003 trip #7
QM2 trip 2 1/31/04
Single since 1991 except Serenade.

QM2 11/6/04 & keeping an open mind for others.
Queen Victoria - Maiden year?

Archived