Cell phones in the MDR

Norcal Cruiser

We were on the Solstice May 27th Alaska cruise and observed something we hadn't seen before. Several tables near us had many cell phones out texting and watching videos while ordering and even when eating. My opinion only but I think this is so rude to the dining staff and your fellow diners. Hopefully not the new norm. I have no problem with people snapping quick pics of the food but these phones were out and being used the entire dinner. We had a good cruise but this was unsettling.

I guess this is what happens when you offer a promo with wifi included. We used to book cruises because we could get AWAY from our cell phones and internet, but apparently, they've found out and are following us...:eek:

I am a fan of the evening chic dress I wore new black jeans with black flats and a dressy top. My shoes were tieks . Most expensive shoes I have ever bought. I just really had an issue with the cell phones at the table. Not chic at all.

We were on the Solstice May 27th Alaska cruise and observed something we hadn't seen before. Several tables near us had many cell phones out texting and watching videos while ordering and even when eating. My opinion only but I think this is so rude to the dining staff and your fellow diners. Hopefully not the new norm. I have no problem with people snapping quick pics of the food but these phones were out and being used the entire dinner. We had a good cruise but this was unsettling.

Ignoring the fact that they are unfortunately illegal in the US and probably also on ships, we could all go out and buy cell phone jammers -

http://cellphone-jammers.com/

They are not too expensive.

DON

MRD - the place to judge and be judged!

jeans, kids, t-skirts, multiple orderings, late people, and now phones. Did I forget something?

Agreed. It continues to baffle me how much people on here gossip and complain about what others do that has zero impact to them. What somebody else wears or whether someone else sends a text message (assuming the phone is on silent) is none of my business and would never impact my cruise- or dining experience.

Now - people talking loudly on a cell phone or a screaming baby that the parents don't carry out - those complaints I would understand.

Edited by florisdekort

Seems to be yet another example of the general decline in good manners

It is common place in this day and age. We go out to dinner with friends and they have their phones sitting on the table "in case my kid needs me"...but I am just as guilty with my almost two year old granddaughter is with us. Once she is done sitting handing her my phone with some youtube videos is a great way to let everyone else at the table enjoy dinner..and we just turn the volume down. She knows all of the songs already and is happy to just watch.

Back in my work days of not too long ago, one of the biggest joys of a cruise is the job could not find me.

Now, I guess that's thing of the past.

As far using cell phone at dinner, I don't get it. I see it even at 'high end' restaurants here. Enjoy your meal, have a nice conversation with your wife/husband or dinner companion(s).

Whether at our home dining table, in a restaurant or in a ship's dining room, my wife and I have discussions. Sometimes, we want to look something up, such as the itinerary of a prospective cruise or the results of a recent election. It is so easy to take the phone out, find the information we need and continue our discussion. It never occurred to us that doing so would interfere with another person's enjoyment. I guess we need to be more cognizant of those around us who might find such digital information seeking disturbing. I appreciate the OP's comments.

whether at our home dining table, in a restaurant or in a ship's dining room, my wife and i have discussions. Sometimes, we want to look something up, such as the itinerary of a prospective cruise or the results of a recent election. It is so easy to take the phone out, find the information we need and continue our discussion. It never occurred to us that doing so would interfere with another person's enjoyment. I guess we need to be more cognizant of those around us who might find such digital information seeking disturbing. I appreciate the op's comments.

+1 :)

The biggest issue for me is the increased voice volume when someone is on a cell phone. It usually increases in busier areas. Some people think they are the only ones in the room and that everyone wants to hear their conversation and just how important they are.

My phone stays in my cabin for the entire cruise. Call me nuts:rolleyes::eek:

I have no desire take it anywhere with me when I am cruising. I know

I am in the minority but I don't care.

Back in my work days of not too long ago, one of the biggest joys of a cruise is the job could not find me.

Now, I guess that's thing of the past.

As far using cell phone at dinner, I don't get it. I see it even at 'high end' restaurants here. Enjoy your meal, have a nice conversation with your wife/husband or dinner companion(s).

Amen to that! And try not to let those who cannot exist without their phones get under your skin. You're letting someone else ruin your vacation. Just tune out the noise (if you ever had children you know how to do that) and ignore them. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

If diners were on their cell phones and were ignoring their servers when they were trying to get their orders, then yes, this would be rude. If diners were texting, watching videos, or playing games when seated at a large table with diners other than their own group (traditional dining), yes, this would be rude.

If these diners are at their own table, then I couldn't care less what they are doing, any more than I care what they are wearing or what they are eating. I can't imagine how this could possibly "unsettle" someone who isn't remotely involved, other than simply observing it from a distance. As long as their behavior is not disruptive to adjacent tables, their dinner activities are nobody's business but their own.

If diners were on their cell phones and were ignoring their servers when they were trying to get their orders, then yes, this would be rude. If diners were texting, watching videos, or playing games when seated at a large table with diners other than their own group (traditional dining), yes, this would be rude.

If these diners are at their own table, then I couldn't care less what they are doing, any more than I care what they are wearing or what they are eating. I can't imagine how this could possibly "unsettle" someone who isn't remotely involved, other than simply observing it from a distance. As long as their behavior is not disruptive to adjacent tables, their dinner activities are nobody's business but their own.

Very well said!

Agree

- Joel

My phone stays in my cabin for the entire cruise. Call me nuts:rolleyes::eek:

I have no desire take it anywhere with me when I am cruising. I know

I am in the minority but I don't care.

Guess that makes two of us. ;o)

Seems to be yet another example of the general decline in good manners

The new "Modern Luxury" fully entitled cruiser...great example of family dining for children to observe and emulate...

We even had a table of folks at a formal family wedding recently where the same rude behavior went on...not much we can do about it but doesn't mean we like it!

If diners were texting, watching videos, or playing games when seated at a large table with diners other than their own group (traditional dining), yes, this would be rude.

I disagree. They're not obligated to entertain you.

Thank you. This is what I also would have typed, but you stated it perfectly for me.