To those who have been on both the Oosterdam and the Eurodam

Tinknock50

I know they are very similar, but did you notice any difference in ambiance and general decor that set them apart?

I know the Eurodam has added the Tamarind Restaurant and bar up top. Is the Tamarind Bar a good place to view scenery? I ask because my handicap friend feels the cold more than I do so I am looking for a good inside space for him to see the glaciers. Hopefully it will be less crowded than the Crow's Nest at that time. Also hoping the fellow passengers will let him get close enough to the windows to see.:)

I know they are very similar, but did you notice any difference in ambiance and general decor that set them apart?

I know the Eurodam has added the Tamarind Restaurant and bar up top. Is the Tamarind Bar a good place to view scenery? I ask because my handicap friend feels the cold more than I do so I am looking for a good inside space for him to see the glaciers. Hopefully it will be less crowded than the Crow's Nest at that time. Also hoping the fellow passengers will let him get close enough to the windows to see.:)

The decor is very different, at least in terms of color schemes.

The views from the Tamarind bar ore best to the starboard side. The bar obstructs the port side for the most part.

The views from the Tamarind bar ore best to the starboard side. The bar obstructs the port side for the most part.

You won't be able t o do much viewing from Silk Den (the bar near Tamarind).

Ah I see what you mean...

330_11_450_032014.gif

Since we have a balcony on the port side maybe we can head up there when the starboard side faces the glacier.

I liked the décor in the Eurodam much better than the Oosterdam. My suite on the Eurodam was done in beautiful tones of grey, silver, tan and gold. The ship also has some interesting art work. I don't think the Silk Den and Tamarind are good viewing spaces, but give them a try and form your own opinion.

Last year my sister sailed with me to Alaska. She takes blood thinners and has a low tolerance for cold. She was so enthralled with the glaciers she bundled up and made her way to the outside deck on the Lower Promenade to take in the view.

Roz

I would definitely choose the Eurodam for Alaska.

We have found that many times the captains keep the port side facing the glaciers the longest.

Makes sense because as the ship approaches the glacier, it is already on the left side

Choosing between the Eurodam and the Oostrerdam, both excellent plus ships, I would let the itinerary be my guide.

Unless you want to dine at the Tamarind, that is only on the Eurodam.

I, personally would choose by intinerary .

Already chose the Eurodam for that reason. Just wanted to know if I will appreciate the differences with the Oosterdam.

I liked the décor in the Eurodam much better than the Oosterdam. My suite on the Eurodam was done in beautiful tones of grey, silver, tan and gold. The ship also has some interesting art work. I don't think the Silk Den and Tamarind are good viewing spaces, but give them a try and form your own opinion.

Last year my sister sailed with me to Alaska. She takes blood thinners and has a low tolerance for cold. She was so enthralled with the glaciers she bundled up and made her way to the outside deck on the Lower Promenade to take in the view.

Roz

Takes quite a bit of time to get Mike bundled up sufficiently. I don't think he will want to do that.

Hopefully you'll be able to find a place for him to enjoy the view and not be uncomfortable at the same time. What about the Lido?

Roz

Hopefully you'll be able to find a place for him to enjoy the view and not be uncomfortable at the same time. What about the Lido?

Roz

The Lido is good, but sometimes there is a lot of glass reflection from the lights.

I noticed that the Pinnacle bar has great windows on the Oosterdam. That might work. Our balcony is port side and the Pinnacle Bar is starboard, so it might work when the ship turns. Plus I can go down one flight of stairs to the promenade to take glass free pictures.

Another possibility is where the hallway curves outside the Queen's Lounge...great windows there.

I am not ruling out the bundle up, providing Mike wants to skip his shower that day. The tough part is the scenery starts early that morning and don't want to miss anything. Getting dressed is a long process.

• 3 months later...

Now I'm confused... Is it the 'Tamarind Bar' or 'Silk Den' just forward of the Tamarind Restaurant on Eurodam deck 11?

The deck plan shown on this thread shows it as Silk Den, but the deck plan on HAL's site says Tamarind Bar. :confused:

Now I'm confused... Is it the 'Tamarind Bar' or 'Silk Den' just forward of the Tamarind Restaurant on Eurodam deck 11?

The deck plan shown on this thread shows it as Silk Den, but the deck plan on HAL's site says Tamarind Bar. :confused:

I would go by the HAL site since that is official. It also shows that the NA is completing the name change to Tamarind Bar this month. The Silk Den is a nice name, but I think it will easier for new cruisers to have the same name as the adjacent restaurant.

I would go by the HAL site since that is official. It also shows that the NA is completing the name change to Tamarind Bar this month. The Silk Den is a nice name, but I think it will easier for new cruisers to have the same name as the adjacent restaurant.

We're not new cruisers by any stretch, but was just trying to unravel the mystery between the two names used for that particular bar since we're sailing Eurodam next year. :)

We're not new cruisers by any stretch, but was just trying to unravel the mystery between the two names used for that particular bar since we're sailing Eurodam next year. :)
It was called the Silk Den on the E'dam and N.A. until the Koningsdam launched with the bar incorporated into the Tamarind proper rather than across a hallway and with different decor. To be consistent they decided to call all 3 the Tamarind Bar. Don't be surprised if you still find some references to the Silk Den when you are on the E'dam.

The Lido is good, but sometimes there is a lot of glass reflection from the lights.

I noticed that the Pinnacle bar has great windows on the Oosterdam. That might work. Our balcony is port side and the Pinnacle Bar is starboard, so it might work when the ship turns. Plus I can go down one flight of stairs to the promenade to take glass free pictures.

Another possibility is where the hallway curves outside the Queen's Lounge...great windows there.

I am not ruling out the bundle up, providing Mike wants to skip his shower that day. The tough part is the scenery starts early that morning and don't want to miss anything. Getting dressed is a long process.

Yes, the windows in Pinnacle Bar on Oosterdam are wonderful. However, we found we sometimes had to ask them to open the cuttains. :) They Always obliged. :)

As I said on another thread, I think the viewing from the Silk Den/Tamarind Bar is great --- second only to the Crows Nest IMO.

2dqk8bo.jpg

Looks great! Love that picture!

Now my hope is not TOO many people will realize this. It is hard for my power chaired friend to get through crowds to see the view.

And that was during a scenery intensive part of the cruise?
Yes - Prince Christian Sound Greenland. In the first pic above there are no people along the railing on the deck below because it was very cold and windy. By the second pic it had warmed up a bit. Edited by catl331