Beware future cruise deposits

boronia9

On a recent cruise from Singapore to Southampton, I purchased future cruise deposits for my wife and I. This week when I attempted to use those deposits through a US travel agent they were declined, apparently because the Singapore to Southampton cruise was purchased through an Australian travel agent. I can't use the credits through a US travel agent. There was absolutely nothing in the future cruise deposit receipt/letter, nor in any of the Princess marketing literature to indicate such terms. Princess simply say that's the way it is.

How do they get away with such unethical conduct? Does anyone on the forum know more about this.

Thanks, Terry

On a recent cruise from Singapore to Southampton, I purchased future cruise deposits for my wife and I. This week when I attempted to use those deposits through a US travel agent they were declined, apparently because the Singapore to Southampton cruise was purchased through an Australian travel agent. I can't use the credits through a US travel agent. There was absolutely nothing in the future cruise deposit receipt/letter, nor in any of the Princess marketing literature to indicate such terms. Princess simply say that's the way it is.

How do they get away with such unethical conduct? Does anyone on the forum know more about this.

Thanks, Terry

So get them refunded to your credit card....? They’re 100% refundable.

Also, you can purchase more within certain number of days of your sailing. So you should be able to purchase them now in the correct denomination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Terry

Does Princess still have the restriction that you have to have a US address to book through a US TA? If so, that is probably the reason. When I rebooked the Med cruise we did last year I couldn't use a FCD. It wasn't a big deal, we still only paid $100pp deposit, and I got more OBC booking through the US TA than I would have using a FCD.

Does Princess still have the restriction that you have to have a US address to book through a US TA? If so, that is probably the reason. When I rebooked the Med cruise we did last year I couldn't use a FCD. It wasn't a big deal, we still only paid $100pp deposit, and I got more OBC booking through the US TA than I would have using a FCD.

Canadians and Mexicans can use US agents. I don't know about Australians.

I know when we paid our future cruise deposit it was specifically charged in the currency with which we paid for the cruise ( in our case NZD). So any future cruise needs to be paid in that currency too. Cant recall exact details though. Was last month.

Just come back and found a few replies. To summarise, the TA in Miami is allowed to book for us, but Princess will not accept the onboard credits because they were purchased on a cruise that was booked in Australia even though the cruise was thousands of miles from Australia (go figure!) My TA spoke to a supervisor at Princess who's response was "that's just the way it is but you can get a refund of the OBCs if you wish."

Just to repeat, there is nothing in the Princess Terms & Conditions which says that. If anyone from Princess is reading this thread, please comment.

Terry

Just come back and found a few replies. To summarise, the TA in Miami is allowed to book for us, but Princess will not accept the onboard credits because they were purchased on a cruise that was booked in Australia even though the cruise was thousands of miles from Australia (go figure!) My TA spoke to a supervisor at Princess who's response was "that's just the way it is but you can get a refund of the OBCs if you wish."

Just to repeat, there is nothing in the Princess Terms & Conditions which says that. If anyone from Princess is reading this thread, please comment.

Terry

Wow that does sound like a strange restriction. I just booked an Alaska cruise using our FCD's purchased while on an Australian booked Princess cruise. Only difference I guess is that both the original cruise and the new cruise were booked directly through Princess.

The restriction may have something to do with an Accounting Issue. I don't want to get technical but there are probably different Funds and Accounts used based on how the cruise is booked and it is near impossible to move monies from one Fund and Account to another.

Ramona

Thanks, Terry

Since you live in Australia I believe Princess requires a resident of Australia is to book through an Australian travel agent or directly with Princess (probably through their Australian site). The last time I checked US travel agents were not allowed to book Princess cruises for Australian residents. Now one can try and get around that by supplying a US address, but since your FCC's are linked to your account and your Australian address that probably will not work. The issue on use is that your booking process must be aligned with your country of residence.

This is from an article that CC posted on the subject

The Holland America, Princess and Royal Caribbean representatives we spoke to confirmed that they mandate that Australians book cruises in Australian dollars through local agencies (Princess goes so far to say that "our North American travel agent contracts forbid them from booking residents outside of the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico").

Kind of surprised that your miami based TA could book with an Australian address.

I expect that they would work just fine booking through an Australian TA or the Australian Princess web site.

Edited by RDC1

Since you live in Australia I believe Princess requires a resident of Australia is to book through an Australian travel agent or directly with Princess (probably through their Australian site). The last time I checked US travel agents were not allowed to book Princess cruises for Australian residents. Now one can try and get around that by supplying a US address, but since your FCC's are linked to your account and your Australian address that probably will not work. The issue on use is that your booking process must be aligned with your country of residence.

That is my understand too.

It changed around 2010 / 2011 and if Australians and New Zealanders had a history of booking with a US travel agent they could continue with that association. After a specified date we could only book via Australia or NZ. It is just the way it is. I have only ever traveled with Princess (and Celebrity once on 2011) so have just gone with it.

It changed around 2010 / 2011 and if Australians and New Zealanders had a history of booking with a US travel agent they could continue with that association. After a specified date we could only book via Australia or NZ. It is just the way it is. I have only ever traveled with Princess (and Celebrity once on 2011) so have just gone with it.

I suspect that his US TA might be one of those that is willing to accept the bookings in spite of policy, but cannot get around that his FCC gives away the Australian residency. As such use is against policy and cannot be used on a US TA booking.

Again, read all the comments but none of it deals with the fact that Princess sells future cruise credits on board, without any mention of not being able to use it with your choice of agent. In fact, the future cruise letter/receipt says "If further assistance is necessary, please contact YOUR travel agent or Princess Cruises (emphasis is mine.)

Princess is being dishonest here and playing some sort of games.

Re some of the other comments, I know that Vacations to Go in the US can take Australian bookings with a USD100 surchage, mandated by Princess. The current booking I'm trying to make is not through them but through another agent I've used before on other cruise lines (and probably will do again if Princess can't resolve this amicably, despite my Elite CC and 500 sea days.)

Can you book the cruise using the FCDs with Princess Australia and then transfer the booking to your USA travel agent?

No, I tried that. My US TA was unable to pick up an Australian booking. I had to cancel the booking then she booked the same cabin for me.

Essentially you can't use a US TA if you have an Australian address but the TA did a workaround for us.

We live in Australia too. On our cruise in March we asked about getting our FCDs in Sterling as we wanted to use up some money we had in a uk bank account to book another cruise paying in sterling.

We were told by the Future Cruise Consultant that it was impossible to do this as our address and Captain's Circle details only allow us to pay in A$ for FCDs and any cruises. Out next cruise is Southampton to Singapore so you would think there would be no problem using sterling, alas no.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

That's the way it seems. But how does Princess get away with promoting and taking the money for future cruise deposits, then changing the rules when you try to use them?:mad:

Government. It's entirely possible that this is a requirement of government regulations. You and I both know that Princess' contracts say that they will abide by all applicable laws, and you seem to be completely missing the possibility that they're abiding by those laws. What you're asking them to do may in fact be unethical, and therefore your claims of Princess being unethical would then be patently false; they would be acting ethically in this instance. If you don't like it, get your FCCs refunded, and if you really don't like it, why not book a different cruise line?

Let's see if I have this right. You're Australian. You're trying to use a US TA which ignores the rules about Australians using Australian TAs. But Princess is unethical. (???)

This is my understanding too. It is not restricted to antipodeans, UK residents have a similar problem if the attempt to book through a US agent unless they have a history of booking through that US agent with the same cruise line years ago.

FCD's come in US$, UK£ and AUS$, possibly other currencies. The currencies at exchange rates are all dissimilar values when converted to the other currency. They do not need to be the same value as when you book you do so in your counties currency as this is what you are billed in by your TA or direct from Princess.

Regards John

Passage costs cruise lines more or less to provide, depending upon what set of consumer protection

laws apply to a particular passenger, and that cost will be different than other passengers on the

same voyage if they have other consumer protection laws apply to their passage.

The US has the mildest, the EU (including, still, the UK) has the harshest. THAT's why "Brits can't

book through US travel agents", and Aussie FCC won't work with fares quoted for US travel agents.

It also means cries of outrage from US passengers when a cruise gets rerouted or something, and

the Brits simply cash their refunds.

Passage costs cruise lines more or less to provide, depending upon what set of consumer protection

laws apply to a particular passenger, and that cost will be different than other passengers on the

same voyage if they have other consumer protection laws apply to their passage.

The US has the mildest, the EU (including, still, the UK) has the harshest. THAT's why "Brits can't

book through US travel agents", and Aussie FCC won't work with fares quoted for US travel agents.

It also means cries of outrage from US passengers when a cruise gets rerouted or something, and

the Brits simply cash their refunds.

I understand your reasoning but it doesn’t explain why Brits can book cruises with NCL, RCCL and Disney with US TAs. I think it is more to do with Princess (and other lines within Canival Corp) protecting the commission of UK TAs - regional pricing they call it.

I understand your reasoning but it doesn’t explain why Brits can book cruises with NCL, RCCL and Disney with US TAs. I think it is more to do with Princess (and other lines within Canival Corp) protecting the commission of UK TAs - regional pricing they call it.

Uhh… I'll stick with CCL having a better handle on costs management unless you can suggest why Miami

should give two figs about UK TA's commissions over US TA's commissions?