Cunard Queen Mary 2 - May29, 2012 transatlantic Anyone else aboard?

xterracub

Howdy Folks? Just wondering if any other people on here are taking the transatlantic cruise on the Queen Mary 2 departing New York on the 29th of May? Have you cruised on this ship before? I've never done transatlantic before and can't wait! I'm also part of a gay group onboard.:)

I knew there had to be someone else out there. :D

Are you traveling with the Pied Piper group? First cruise, and your on the QM2... Good way to get started. I've had to work up to this. Been on about 8-10 cruises so far. So what's the Irish ferry like? The ferries in the UK are on my to do list. Are you from the UK?

Have a good one,

Ron.

I won't be on your crossing (jealous!), but have sailed the QM2 3 times (2 crossings and one New England/Canada). You'll love the ship. And crossings can be SO relaxing. The Commodore Cluib is a great place for a martini before dinner, Todd English is worth the supplement, and I always get a spa pass for the entire voyage and spend about 2 hours per day enjoying the facilities. You guys will have a great time!

Hey Mick,

I guess we'll be sure to meet each other at least at dinner. Do you know any other people with the PP group? This will be my first gay group cruise and am looking forward to it. I checked another all gay cruise critic type of site and so far nobody has posted yet.

Hi PKE, sorry your not aboard, but I'll have a martini for you. It's the leats I can do. I'm so looking forward to taking this ship. I'm not a big spa person, but it look like the gym has no steam room or sauna or even showers available unless you purchase the spa packages. Is that true? You'd think for the money they charge for traveling steerage that you'd at least get to use a shower.

I have one other question; we have a sheltered balcony on deck 5, have you ever stayed in one of these cabins?

You're right that there are no steam, sauna or showers accessible from the gym. They are part of the spa area. In the spa area, you have men's and women's locker rooms (where the showers are). The rest of the spa's "wet" areas are co-ed, so you have to wear a swim suit. You can tour it for free on the first day and decide if it's something you'd enjoy. you can purchase a 1-day pass, 3-day pass (I think) or a 5-day pass. Alternatively, if you have a spa treatment, you have access to the spa facilities included all that same day.

Regarding the sheltered balcony, no, I've not had it, I"ve had an obstructed view balcony, a regular balcony and an oceanview stateroom. Honestly on the crossings I've done (one in May, one in August), I really didn't use the balcony at all. The ship travels so fast, that the balcony was very windy, and the weather wasn't really warm enough to enjoy using it. In fact, on the August crossing, I never even walked outside on deck at all. And there's not that much to see in the north Atlantic. I think you'll be fine with the sheltered balcony and won't regret passing on the "regular" unobstructed balcony. The sheltered balcony might even do a better job of blocking the wind.

One thing you might already know (but should plan for if you don't) is that QM2 is a dressier ship than most. "Casual" nights for men mean sports coat and slacks. "Informal" is suit and tie. "Formal" is tuxedo or dark suit and tie. If you enjoy dressing nicely, this is the ship for you!

Hey Pk,

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. As for the Dressing up,

I love it!

My Tux is at the cleaners now and god knows I have so much ironing to do I'd better start now.

The one thing I'm hoping for is that maybe we can get some rough seas for one of the days. I'm one of those sick people that loves to feel the ocean churn. My partner says I'm crazy and he's probably right.

Will wish the best for you! She's a pretty stable liner, but you might get lucky. ;-)

you'd probably enjoy walking stem to stern on the top deck when you're out in the Atlantic to get a feel for the speed of the ship.

You haven't mentioned whether you play, but they have beginner and intermediate bridge classes every morning, and duplicate bridge play every afternoon, if you enjoy the game.

Well I have never played bridge, but I am looking forward to the ballroom dance lessons. I just hope none of the blue haired ladies have a heart attack when my partner and I dance together. I hate having to step over people when I'm trying to dance. LOL:)

Sorry Ron I saw her before i got your message, you were right these 80 days are going to drag now. She is very big, and very impressive, have seen many cruise ships at circular quay but she has a certain style and presence about her. Which dinner sitting are you's booked for, i'm in the late sitting 8.30, thanks for your tips PKE, will also have a martini for you :D

Ron lol stepping over people while dancing, dont they have sweeper crews to get them off the floor as quick as possible? Has anyone received their e-ticket yet? Or know when they will be issued? Have been following the QM's bridge cam on the Cunard site, she'll be in Japan shortly, Marianas islands today.

I'll be on the QM 2 Transatlantic on May 29 via Pied Piper. I've sailed on this ship before. It is a wonderfully relaxing experience. I've sailed with 3 Pied Piper groups in the past, always had a good time.

David

New York

1102635275_Scan112710000.jpg.afe0c09fab4945cfba7704306aa2c3dc.jpg

Hi Ann, Rebecca and David, looking forward to meeting you all. Anyone know how big the PP group will be? I heard there will be two hosts so must be a fair size. David you're from NY any hints on best way to get to cruise terminal from midtown, taxi or book a shuttle transfer?

And a warm welcome to you Ann, Rebecca, and David. I'm really glad to see more people responding here, this should be a lot of fun! Sorry I haven't said hello, but had midterms last week and those came first.

Mick, I'm in the early seating as I was told by Derek at PP that only during the early seating would we be able to sit with the PP group, but it sounds like we might be having a fairly large group so that may have changed. Also it sounds like that even though you can fill out all your departure info on the Cunard site, the E-tickets will only be available for printing 30 before the ship sails, if I remember right.

Ann & Rebecca, welcome to the board. Have you ladies ever sailed with Cunard or PP before?

David, welcome. I've got the same Question as Mick, Taxi or shuttle to the Cruise terminal, any preferences? Me and my partners are staying in Midtown also (right by Rock Center).

The voyage personalizer on the Cunard site was a bit tricky, think it has a few glitches, all complete now though. My embarkation time is 2.30pm, might get there a bit earlier soak up the atmosphere. Ron i read something about a Yahoo group on the PP site but heard nothing since. I see we have 3 formal nights 2 semi formal and 2 elegant casual as bookends. 65 more sleeps ;)

Hi Ron, Rebecca and I have been on several PP cruises and I highly recommend their group. We are flying in from Miami and getting transfers from LGA to the port, through Cunard. We've always dined with the 2nd seating, however would rather go to the 1st seating, so I'll look into changing. Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the group! Cheers!

Hi Ann, on the several PP cruises you've done how is the age mix? I've heard PP tends to be a slightly older crowd than some of the other travel agents, ( suits me, pushing 50 :( ) Have you's done a crossing before? Been hearing alot about the sail away and just clearing the verrazano narrows bridge, a sight to remember.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Archived