Little help with transport if you could

altarr

Hi All

We are taking our 4 year old on the road with us for the first time...so normally I have to plan for no one but full sized adults but traveling with our tot is throwing some new wrinkles into the mix. Namely on-island transportation.

There are a few places I have in mind to go...Tobacco beach, crystal caves and picking up a boat at h20 for a day. In order of preference, ferry, bus, walking...regular vehicle transportation is pretty much off the list as we are traveling with our little half height man.

We dont really mind walking as long as its "walkable"...especially with a small child. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

What cruise ship will you be on? And what dates will you be visiting?

For starters, you could take the ferry to St George's and then a quick taxi ride to Tobacco Bay.

Depending on when you start your day and how long you're planning to stay at TB, you could take a bus to the caves. The last tour starts at 4:30PM; there are no elevators, you must walk down about 88 cement steps which can be damp.

SBtS

First great choice for Beach, you can take ferry to st George and walk it is about 15-20 min walk up hill to beach or take taxi from st George to beach , When leaving beach ,then take taxi to Caves or walk back to st George up hill again, then take bus to caves from st george. (I may even suggest the aquarium for that age it was great to see. ) then when you leave caves you can take bus back to Hamilton then ferry to ship is one option , next option is bus back to st George then ferry back to ship, ( just remember to check that you are on BERMUDA time with catching ferries and buses ) other option for return is taxi to st George then ferry back to Ship. A taxi from the caves or even tobacco bay is a big expense. The bus system is very easy to navigate and also the people of Bermuda are very helpful if you ask them. i personally have traveled all with children , i do have to say the best we did was rent a taxi for a day 6 to 7 hrs. We got to see some out the way places as well go to tobacco to swim and lunch in st George, caves and back to ship was an expense but the best money spent so nice to see the island. Have fun ! Enjoy Bermuda , cannot say enough about it, coming up on 11th trip and still exploring and learning about Bermuda, never gets old.

We are coming in on the Dawn from boston.

thanks for the suggestions above, but I am trying to avoid a situation where my son will have to be in a car without a carseat...

So once at St George, we can walk to the beach..thats seems doable...

Then there is also a bus which can get to the caves and back to where the ferry leaves off?

where is the aquarium?

thanks for the suggestions above, but I am trying to avoid a situation where my son will have to be in a car without a carseat...

Then there is also a bus which can get to the caves and back to where the ferry leaves off?

where is the aquarium?

Since you are traveling on the Dawn which arrives on a Sunday, you will have to do the ferry to St George's and Tobacco Bay on Monday because the public ferry and the NCL ferry did not run on weekends to SG (2017).

Yes, there are frequent public buses that will take you from the caves to SG.

The aquarium is 3 - 4 miles from the caves, and you could do that on Sunday by taking the ferry to Hamilton, and a route #10 or #11 bus to and return from the aquarium.

What day are you planning your boat rental for?

SBtS

Since you are traveling on the Dawn which arrives on a Sunday, you will have to do the ferry to St George's and Tobacco Bay on Monday because the public ferry and the NCL ferry did not run on weekends to SG (2017).

Yes, there are frequent public buses that will take you from the caves to SG.

The aquarium is 3 - 4 miles from the caves, and you could do that on Sunday by taking the ferry to Hamilton, and a route #10 or #11 bus to and return from the aquarium.

What day are you planning your boat rental for?

SBtS

Ok so Monday we could ferry to st g, do beach, bus to caves bus to ferry back

Sunday we can ferry to Hamilton bus to aquarium bus back to ferry

Wed we could do h20. Any idea how to bus there?

Ok so Monday we could ferry to st g, do beach, bus to caves bus to ferry back

Sunday we can ferry to Hamilton bus to aquarium bus back to ferry

Wed we could do h20. Any idea how to bus there?

Take the #7 or #8 bus to Somerset Village. Then a short walk.

Take the #7 or #8 bus to Somerset Village. Then a short walk.

i am assuming this is to h20

thanks to everyone who helped.

QQ to anyone reading, how do you handle your normally car seated kids whilst on island style vacations?

i am assuming this is to h20

thanks to everyone who helped.

QQ to anyone reading, how do you handle your normally car seated kids whilst on island style vacations?

Yes, those are the bus routes that you can take to the bus stop close to H2O water sports. You can take any bus from the Dockyard since the bus routes split past that bus stop. If you take the bus tell the bus driver you want to get off at Somerset Village.

Most don’t use car seats. In Bermuda there are no rental cars and car seats are not required in taxis. You could bring your own or rent one in Bermuda but most likely the taxi driver would put it in the trunk. A taxi to H2O would be an under 10 minute drive and the speed limit is 20 mph. Not telling this to say you should take a taxi with your child without a car seat. That certainly is a personal decision.

Edited by Charles4515

This was all great info. Planning on taking ferry to st George, glad to hear Tobacco bay is walking distance. I was hoping to go to Tom Moore's jungle or crystal caves after. How long is bus ride? Any estimates on taxi fare? Ty :D

This was all great info. Planning on taking ferry to st George, glad to hear Tobacco bay is walking distance. I was hoping to go to Tom Moore's jungle or crystal caves after. How long is bus ride? Any estimates on taxi fare? Ty :D

The bus ride from St George's to TMJ is about 20 minutes. The caves are located about 1 mile past TMJ, The taxi fare from Tobacco Bay to TMJ is about $17 plus tip for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel; about $22 for 5 to 7 passengers. You may be lucky and be able to hire a taxi at TB otherwise you'll have to hoof it back to King's Square, St George's to hire the taxi. The taxi fare from there to TMJ will be a little less.

What dates will you be visiting Bermuda and on which cruise ship?

SBtS

You may be lucky and be able to hire a taxi at TB otherwise you'll have to hoof it back to King's Square, St George's to hire the taxi. The taxi fare from there to TMJ will be a little less.

Taxis are usually available at Tobacco Bay or dropping people off.

Thanks! We will be on NCL Dawn, from 5/20-5/22.

Are taxis easy to find at ferry dock and TMJ?

If there are not taxis at the ferry dock it is a short walk to the taxis stand in the town square. You would have to be lucky to find a taxi at Tom Moore’s Jungle.

If there are not taxis at the ferry dock it is a short walk to the taxis stand in the town square. You would have to be lucky to find a taxi at Tom Moore’s Jungle.

You can use Hitch which is like local Bermuda Uber to find taxis in places they normally aren’t- brings them right to you. It’s also great for getting taxi estimates ahead of time via the app and you can pay with credit card through the app which makes a huge difference not having to carry as much cash.

Unlike Uber these aren’t third party cars- they are normal licensed taxis that participate. We’ve found it particularly useful going to and from places that don’t have a taxi stand.

I was just going to ask, how do I get ride from TMJ :)Hitch sounds good! I am used to Uber and had no idea Bermuda had a similar system, TY

Bus routes #'s 1, 3, 10, & 11, all go by TMJ. If it is an outbound bus, it will be going to St George's; if inbound, Hamilton.

SBtS

where is the aquarium?

Personally I wouldn't attempt to walk to Tobacco Bay with a 4 year old in tow. It's uphill most of the way so a pretty "healthy" walk - there is a shared van that leaves from the center of town that was fairly inexpensive - I understand your hesitancy of being without a car seat but other countries are not as safety conscious as those in the USA.