Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

We were in Malaga two years ago on a Sunday. While walking up the main pedestrian street, we heard some music and found a municipal band playing in a square just off the street. It was wonderful as we sat at a cafe having a beer and listening to the music. I think we may have been the only tourists in the audience. Do you know if this would be happening on Sunday, October 29? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We were in Malaga two years ago on a Sunday. While walking up the main pedestrian street, we heard some music and found a municipal band playing in a square just off the street. It was wonderful as we sat at a cafe having a beer and listening to the music. I think we may have been the only tourists in the audience. Do you know if this would be happening on Sunday, October 29? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday is the big family day in Malaga so there is usually music of some type being played in the city centre - often in the Plaza de la Constitucion which may well be the square you are referring to. The 29th is the weekend of the local schools half term holiday when a few nights stay in the city is very popular, and Malaga Football (Soccer) Club are playing host to the northern Spanish team of Celta Vigo that evening, so there will be even more families visiting than normally and, weather permitting, the atmosphere should be buzzing.

We too arrive on a Sunday (700 -1900). You've likely provided answers to all of my questions in various bits and pieces, but I got confused a little.

We'd like to use the bus rather than taxi where practical. We would like to visit both castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro), roman amphitheatre, English cemetery, look at the outside of the Cathedral (since its closed on Sundays) and watch the sunset. What's the best routing for all this. Does it make sense to do the castles after 2pm since they are free or just pay the E3.50? If we have more time, we're happy to take in any other suggested sites along the way.

We too arrive on a Sunday (700 -1900). You've likely provided answers to all of my questions in various bits and pieces, but I got confused a little.

We'd like to use the bus rather than taxi where practical. We would like to visit both castles (Alcazaba and Gibralfaro), roman amphitheatre, English cemetery, look at the outside of the Cathedral (since its closed on Sundays) and watch the sunset. What's the best routing for all this. Does it make sense to do the castles after 2pm since they are free or just pay the E3.50? If we have more time, we're happy to take in any other suggested sites along the way.

I would take the bus up to Gibralfaro first (well worth paying the small entrance fee to avoid the crowds later in the day) then take the bus back down to the Parque (opposite where you will have got on). Then walk to the English Cemetery and retrace your steps or take a bus back to the Parque. It is then only a short walk to the Cathedral and on to the Alcazaba and Roman Ruins that are just below the citadel. Do go into 'Bar El Pimpi' opposite the ruins for a feel of a real Malaga Sunday; https://www.elpimpi.com/en/gallery/ . A great place to watch the sunset is the rooftop bar at the Hotel AC/Marriott Malaga Palacio just opposite the port https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/travel/agpmg-ac-hotel-malaga-palacio/

Edited by campolady

THANKS SO Much For all the great info. We will be visiting Malaga on a cruise in October and it is a Monday. I know the Roman ruins will be closed. Will the other museums be closed also?

We are in our early 70's and fit, but will definitely take the bus to the Castle. If we take the bus down what stop would we use for the Alcazaba?. We plan to walk to the Cathedral after Alcazaba.

We would like to visit the English Cemetary and Ataranzana Market too. Where are they in relation to the Plaza de la Marina?

Is all this doable? We will take a shuttle from the ship to the terminal.

Thanks for your input. We look forward to visiting your beautiful area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I read that there are quite a few steps and climbing in order to visit the Alhambra. Since my husband and I have problems going up stairs, I think that needs to be crossed off our list. So, if we stay in Malaga and visit La Alcazaba and other ruins as well as walk around the city, will we encounter many stairs and/or climbing? I presume we can take a taxi or bus up to La Alcazaba? Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Good afternoon CampoLady, we will be in Malaga on 6 Dec which I understand will be a holiday day (Constitution Day), so I expect the shops and other bits will be closed...what would you suggest we do for the day? Thanks

Plenty of taxis right outside the cruise terminal - fare up to the castle would be around 12 Euros. Either ask the driver to return to pick you up or walk down the hill for a couple of minutes to the Parador Hotel that has stunning views over the city providing a great place for a drink and where there are generally taxis waiting (if there are no taxis there the hotel will call one for you as long as you have had a drink).

Campolady,

First and foremost, bravo for this thread. It is a wealth of information about Malaga. This is one of the absolute best and helpful threads on Cruise Critic.

We visit Malaga in October 2018 (Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic). My wife and I plan on enjoying the old town after going to the Castle. From your previous advice we’ll likely take a cab to the Castle and then go down to the Parador Hotel for the views and a few adult beverages before going down the hill to the old town for Tapas and Cervezas.

Question, is it possible to walk down from the Hotel rather than take a cab to the old town. We’d rather walk and see more views if it is possible.

Thank you again for this wonderful thread

Cheers

Tom

Campolady,

First and foremost, bravo for this thread. It is a wealth of information about Malaga. This is one of the absolute best and helpful threads on Cruise Critic.

We visit Malaga in October 2018 (Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic). My wife and I plan on enjoying the old town after going to the Castle. From your previous advice we’ll likely take a cab to the Castle and then go down to the Parador Hotel for the views and a few adult beverages before going down the hill to the old town for Tapas and Cervezas.

Question, is it possible to walk down from the Hotel rather than take a cab to the old town. We’d rather walk and see more views if it is possible.

Thank you again for this wonderful thread

Cheers

Tom

Tom, tell Heather I said hi and I'm not with "her"! LOL!

S

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hoping you are still around to help me out. We are thinking of taking the ship's tour to Grenada. Can you tell me how far it is to Alhambra but where bus might drop you off and if it is easy to get admission into it and the gardens or do you have to pre-book? Do they also offer tours there.

thank

Barb

Hoping you are still around to help me out. We are thinking of taking the ship's tour to Grenada. Can you tell me how far it is to Alhambra but where bus might drop you off and if it is easy to get admission into it and the gardens or do you have to pre-book? Do they also offer tours there.

thank

Barb

I would recommend you take the ships tour to Granada rather than DIY. The local bus takes 2 hours and drops you off at the outskirts of the city then you have to take a minibus or taxi up to the Alhambra whereas ships excursions generally park right by the Palace. If you are going to DIY tickets go on sale 3 months in advance and need to be booked asap; unless you are really in low season you have very little chance of getting tickets on the day as the few that may be available are released first thing in the morning and people queue from 7 a.m. so they will have gone before you arrive. The ships excursion will include entry to the Palace and gardens. We prefer to use the audio guides provided and go round at our own pace rather than go on a guided walk but that is just our personal choice.

A trip to Granada is a long and tiring day - if you go in high season it will be VERY hot so take an ample supply of water with you. Also make sure you wear comfortable low heeled shoes as there are a lot of steps to climb.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Hi Campolady

Glad to see you are still around. We visit Malaga in October 2018 (Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic). My wife and I plan on enjoying the old town after going to the Castle. From your previous advice we’ll likely take a cab to the Castle and then go down to the Parador Hotel for the views and a few adult beverages before going down the hill to the old town for Tapas and Cervezas.

Question, is it possible to walk down to the old town from the Parador Hotel rather than take a cab? We’d rather walk and see more views if it is possible.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Campolady

Glad to see you are still around. We visit Malaga in October 2018 (Symphony of the Seas Transatlantic). My wife and I plan on enjoying the old town after going to the Castle. From your previous advice we’ll likely take a cab to the Castle and then go down to the Parador Hotel for the views and a few adult beverages before going down the hill to the old town for Tapas and Cervezas.

Question, is it possible to walk down to the old town from the Parador Hotel rather than take a cab? We’d rather walk and see more views if it is possible.

Thanks

Tom

Yes - it is easy to walk down from the Parador to the old town; the temperature will not be too high for walking in October and the walk should take around 20 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there campolady

Thanks for the information in this thread.

I wondered if you had any suggestions for a young family. My family will be visiting for a day in June. Our boat gets in around midday until early evening. My wife and I have two young boys aged 3 and 1 and wondered what you might suggest for us to do? The one year old will be in a buggy and the three year old walking. Obviously we will be quite slow in walking around.

Would you recommend a beach within walking distance of the port? Are the tapas bars child friendly as we would love to try some whilst we are in Malaga?

Thanks in advance

Garf

Hi there campolady

Thanks for the information in this thread.

I wondered if you had any suggestions for a young family. My family will be visiting for a day in June. Our boat gets in around midday until early evening. My wife and I have two young boys aged 3 and 1 and wondered what you might suggest for us to do? The one year old will be in a buggy and the three year old walking. Obviously we will be quite slow in walking around.

Would you recommend a beach within walking distance of the port? Are the tapas bars child friendly as we would love to try some whilst we are in Malaga?

Thanks in advance

Garf

The nearest beach to the port, and very popular with local families, is La Malagueta - even walking at young child pace it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Leave the cruise terminal, walk up to the first junction and turn right which will take you to the coast road and the start of the beach. https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4o.BYq9aMz0APSlLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=la+malagueta+beach&fr=yfp-t

Tapas bars, and all restaurants, welcome children. There are chiringuitos all along Malagueta beach where you can sample tapas. raciones or - as we do - a selection of medio-raciones to share; choose one full of locals to guarantee good quality. Prices are a little higher along the sea front than in the old city centre.

One place your children may enjoy - as well as yourselves - is the Parque de Malaga/Malaga Park. Situated just across the road from the main port gates (not the exit I have recommended for the beach which is much nearer the cruise terminal but close to the port shuttle bus drop off point) this is the city oasis loved by its residents with Parakeets, tropical trees, a small childrens play area and peace + quiet making this a lovely place to relax before returning to the ship.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

The nearest beach to the port, and very popular with local families, is La Malagueta - even walking at young child pace it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. Leave the cruise terminal, walk up to the first junction and turn right which will take you to the coast road and the start of the beach. https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrP4o.BYq9aMz0APSlLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZmVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=la+malagueta+beach&fr=yfp-t

Tapas bars, and all restaurants, welcome children. There are chiringuitos all along Malagueta beach where you can sample tapas. raciones or - as we do - a selection of medio-raciones to share; choose one full of locals to guarantee good quality. Prices are a little higher along the sea front than in the old city centre.

One place your children may enjoy - as well as yourselves - is the Parque de Malaga/Malaga Park. Situated just across the road from the main port gates (not the exit I have recommended for the beach which is much nearer the cruise terminal but close to the port shuttle bus drop off point) this is the city oasis loved by its residents with Parakeets, tropical trees, a small childrens play area and peace + quiet making this a lovely place to relax before returning to the ship.

Hope this helps.

This is fantastic. Thank you very much. The park sounds like something they will really enjoy as well so will definitely be taking a look at that. Can’t wait to enjoy the sunshine and heat after scraping 4 inches of snow off the car this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is fantastic. Thank you very much. The park sounds like something they will really enjoy as well so will definitely be taking a look at that. Can’t wait to enjoy the sunshine and heat after scraping 4 inches of snow off the car this morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are more than welcome. Have a great time in Malaga.