Condition of Noordam

olya1972

(bolding by me)

I really don't want to hijack this thread but it really would be interesting to have a drydock/refurbishment for Noordam confirmed for 2018. When we booked a cruise for November 2018 we were assured by the cruise consultant on board Prinsendam that a drydock would take place in May 2018 - so we booked despite rather high prices. On the other hand I noticed no free time slot in 2018 - after sailing NZ, Australia and the South Pacific Noordam is due to sail the Alaskan waters. There seem to be 2 weeks "free" time in 2019 though. So who can give exact information about the correct dates and when will that be? HAL obviously doesn't give that information - there's nothing on the website, even if the deckplans for Noordam show plans before and after May 2018.

The 2018 dry dock after arriving in Vancouver was cancelled. They scheduled two cruises (six-day and 8-day) in that slot instead. I had booked for June 2018 because it was supposed to be after the suites were updated. Oh well!

We did the Noordam this past summer from Vancouver to Seward. I can echo the sentiment of others on this thread: the ship is very much in need of refurbishment. That said, we found the food in the MDR superb, and the staff was great. The other big downside is the absence of entertainment. Folks often refer to the “underwhelming” entertainment on HAL. In our case, there was absolutely no entertainment unless you count the trainings on how to use Microsoft word and Skype or some cooking demos. “How to be there without being there” (Skype demo) was literally the title of the “show”. We were looking forward to a comedy show or something but there was no such entertainment at all.

Having said all that, we did enjoy the cruise and especially glacier bay which was absolutely breathtaking.

• 4 weeks later...

She is a Grand ship, with lovely public spaces, even if they may seem a bit dated. We sailed on her in 2006 & 2015 and heard from friends recently (Nov '17) that she's still in great shape. And we sail on her again (for the third time) for the Pacific crossing in April '18. Excellent service, incredible art aboard, comfortable public spaces and cozy cabins, what more could you want, especially now that they are offering Sel de Mer in the Pinnacle Grill.

We did the Noordam this past summer from Vancouver to Seward. I can echo the sentiment of others on this thread: the ship is very much in need of refurbishment. That said, we found the food in the MDR superb, and the staff was great. The other big downside is the absence of entertainment. Folks often refer to the “underwhelming” entertainment on HAL. In our case, there was absolutely no entertainment unless you count the trainings on how to use Microsoft word and Skype or some cooking demos. “How to be there without being there” (Skype demo) was literally the title of the “show”. We were looking forward to a comedy show or something but there was no such entertainment at all.

Having said all that, we did enjoy the cruise and especially glacier bay which was absolutely breathtaking.

Was this a 7 day cruise - port intensive?

It shouldn't be too port-intensive. Normal Vancouver - Seward for HAL involves 2 sea days and 1 Glacier Bay viewing day during the 6 full days of cruising.

Then I would not be too worried about claims of no "on-board entertainment". Compare her to a 16 year old car or a pair of shoes you have worn every day for 16 years, and then go into this with realistic expectations.

I'm calling baloney on the bolded statement above about lack of entertainment. Crew News, who most of you know from his postings on this board, was aboard the Noordam last summer from Vancouver to Seward, and he posted the "When and Where" brochures for nights 2-6 on his website. Here are the links to each of those brochures. Scroll down to the last page of each day to see what entertainment was available:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-02-Gala-Night6.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-03-Ketchikan.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-04-Juneau.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-05-Skagway.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-06-Glacier-Bay.pdf

So, stage shows, comedians, BB King's All Stars, Piano Bar entertainer, Adagio Strings, all while on a port-heavy cruise. That's not "absolutely no entertainment" as far as I can tell.

• 1 month later...
I'm calling baloney on the bolded statement above about lack of entertainment. Crew News, who most of you know from his postings on this board, was aboard the Noordam last summer from Vancouver to Seward, and he posted the "When and Where" brochures for nights 2-6 on his website. Here are the links to each of those brochures. Scroll down to the last page of each day to see what entertainment was available:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-02-Gala-Night6.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-03-Ketchikan.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-04-Juneau.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-05-Skagway.pdf

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/WW-NO-AK-2017-Day-06-Glacier-Bay.pdf

So, stage shows, comedians, BB King's All Stars, Piano Bar entertainer, Adagio Strings, all while on a port-heavy cruise. That's not "absolutely no entertainment" as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the delayed response - just noticed your post. I was not on the June sailing, and I can very much assure you that, on our August sailing, there were no comedians or stage shows, as that was our biggest disappointment about the cruise and the primary reason we are trying a new cruise line now. Sure, they had trivia, art auctions and piano bar etc., but that’s not what I, personally, would consider “entertainment.”

We actually loved the cruise otherwise. Staff was great, balcony was huge, and food in the MDR was superb for our tastes. But the entertainment blew.

We were on the Noordam in January with a balcony room. I agree that the cabins of this standard do need refurbishing - new carpet, new couch and new TV at least. We are not fussy cruisers, either. The bathroom has probably not been redone since the ship hit the water, and the peachy coloured tiles are looking a bit past their use by date. The public rooms were fine but I don't really like the Explorations Cafe area as I find it too dark. Otherwise, we loved the cruise, our ninth and third time on Noordam.

Edited by ozcruizer
Punctuation

We were on the Noordam in January with a balcony room. I agree that the cabins of this standard do need refurbishing - new carpet, new couch and new TV at least. We are not fussy cruisers, either. The bathroom has probably not been redone since the ship hit the water, and the peachy coloured tiles are looking a bit past their use by date. The public rooms were fine but I don't really like the Explorations Cafe area as I find it too dark. Otherwise, we loved the cruise, our ninth and third time on Noordam.

Do you think this was just HAL’s style with the original Vista Class ships (as we have only sailed on Zaandam and Koningsdam) the dark, brooding drawing room style? Very classy in its own way, but you need to like the decor - always loved the fresh flowers tho. [emoji253]

Koningsdam of course is light filled bright and beautiful [emoji92][emoji93]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you think this was just HAL’s style with the original Vista Class ships (as we have only sailed on Zaandam and Koningsdam) the dark, brooding drawing room style? Very classy in its own way, but you need to like the decor - always loved the fresh flowers tho. [emoji253]

Koningsdam of course is light filled bright and beautiful [emoji92][emoji93]

I can't speak for most of the ships as we've had a few repeats on just two and I can't remember anything very negative about the others. We've been on the Volendam a few times and I really like the library area - comfy and nice and light.

We are on Noordam right now, the decor is dated and needs a change but the ship and furnishings are well maintained. Not brand new in some cases but in good condition. I do not consider it tired which to me means things are wearing out. The decor is dated. I was also on Noordam last October - see earlier post. Signature suite this time.

We are on Noordam right now, the decor is dated and needs a change but the ship and furnishings are well maintained. Not brand new in some cases but in good condition. I do not consider it tired which to me means things are wearing out. The decor is dated. I was also on Noordam last October - see earlier post. Signature suite this time.

Nice to hear. I am making final payment today for our Alaska cruise, also SS. I hope you are having a great cruise. My PCC is on your sailing with her family. Thank you for checking in!

I always found a certain comfort in HAL's dated and often fusty decor - they were keeping cruise prices lower by not slavishly following the latest trends. The ships are comfortable, functional and reminded me more of a visit to an old maiden aunt's country home. It always feels good to come back to a HAL ship. Even when they sports a mish-mash of fire-sale carpet remnants.

If I wanted to pay for the latest in upscale decor, I would sail Crystal. But if I really wanted to pay for decor, I would save money on HAL and use those saved Crystal cruise fares to redecorate my own house.

Well, you could pay the same or less and get that updated decor and ship design on Celebrity, Princess, etc. Not to mention functional cabins.

Going on vacation to an 'old maiden aunt's country home', even if it has matched carpets, is not our idea of a great vacation venue. Nor does it compete well, for us, with other competing travel options. Each to his own I guess.

Well, you could pay the same or less and get that updated decor and ship design on Celebrity, Princess, etc. Not to mention functional cabins.

Going on vacation to an 'old maiden aunt's country home', even if it has matched carpets, is not our idea of a great vacation venue. Nor does it compete well, for us, with other competing travel options. Each to his own I guess.

I agree. The only reason we are cruising on the Noordam is that it is the exact itinerary we wanted at the exact time. Otherwise, we would have chosen another ship.

Also, we are not paying less, maybe it is because it is Alaska.

Another way to compare cruise line value is per passenger capacity costs - with the larger ships offering lower prices compared, to the smaller HAL fleet of ships. That is part of the ship cost comparison equation too.

We’ve been on the Noordam several times, the first in 2007 , a year after she was inaugurated. She was perfectly beautiful. The most recent, I believe, was in 2012??? Wear and tear was obvious and it made me sad.

The patched, “Fire Sale” carpeting is what I find most offensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do not mind paying more.

What we resent is paying more and still getting a room in 'an old maidens country home' with mismatched fire sale carpet, complete with hard goods that are well past their prime, and a cabin that may or may not be fully functional.

Is there a suggestion that HAL is lowering their fares to compensate for the condition of some of their ships? We have not noticed it.

It is a value issue, or should I say value as we perceive it.

Edited by iancal

We’ve been on the Noordam several times, the first in 2007 , a year after she was inaugurated. She was perfectly beautiful. The most recent, I believe, was in 2012??? Wear and tear was obvious and it made me sad.

the very beautiful Noordam was Inaugurated in NYC on February 22, 2006,, I know, as I was there :)

the very beautiful Noordam was Inaugurated in NYC on February 22, 2006,, I know, as I was there :)

I think you and innlady1 are saying the same thing?

She got on in 2007, a year after she was inaugurated according to her post above.

I would sail again on the Noordam, despite its present shortcomings. I can only go by our cabin, a balcony, which was in need of updating with new carpets etc. Otherwise I cannot see too much wrong with it. Shame it appears to be doing another cruise instead of dry docking.