Whale watching & glacier times

Hazmater

I'll be in Juneau from 12:30pm to 10:00pm in September. I was hoping to do a helicopter glacier tour as well as whale watching. The issue that I'm having is that the latest available glacier tour starts at 4:15pm and most whale watching tours are at least 3 hours long. The latest whale watching tour that I've seen starts at 4pm. Is there such a thing as a 2 - 2.5 hr whale tour? Would I have any luck finding such a tour at the dock?

I've looked at doing a glacier tour in Skagway so that I can get both tours but they appear to be sold out (I'm waiting on final confirmation from the vendor).

When I booked the cruise I thought that the time in Juneau would be plenty to do both excursions but sadly most tours start around the 3pm time.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand - my first trip to Juneau was 2-10. It was frustrating as a lot of the tour times did not work with tours. I tried to look and was unable to find anything with your time frame. Hopefully someone else can.

Not sure if you have contacted private helicopter companies - but that may be an option also:

http://www.temscoair.com/pilots_choice.php

They may have more options in time. Good luck.

I understand - my first trip to Juneau was 2-10. It was frustrating as a lot of the tour times did not work with tours. I tried to look and was unable to find anything with your time frame. Hopefully someone else can.

Not sure if you have contacted private helicopter companies - but that may be an option also:

http://www.temscoair.com/pilots_choice.php

They may have more options in time. Good luck.

Thanks. Temsco is who I've been in contact with for Skagway. That would be my ideal solution. I'm currently booked on a glacier tour in Juneau but would change it if I found something that could let me do both excursions. Glaciers have a higher priority for me than whales but I'd rather not choose!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

I've been working on the same combination, although have more time than you. Remember that the tour times that are given include transportation to/from the cruise terminal. The glacier flights are only 1 hour, but total time is 2.5 hours (probably 30 min transport each direction plus 30 minute prep time. I would contact some independent companies and get their input. For example - Coastal Helicopters Icefield excursion at 1:15 means pickup at the cruise terminal at 1:15. The flight is probably around 2-3:00. Then Alaska Galore whale watching has a 4:00 whale watching time. If you don't have to spend 20-30 minutes going back to the cruise terminal I think it might work if one company would drop you at the other. Don't hesitate to ask - they do it all the time.