Have you personally used a scooter off ship in San Juan or St. Maarten?

mlbcruiser

We have been to both San Juan and St. Maarten many times in the past. The last time was about 4 years ago but at that time my dh didn't have a mobility issue. So now I've got what is probably a stupid question:

I know San Juan has narrow, cobblestone streets with narrow sidewalks raised up a few inches from street level, plus many hills. I think a fair number of the main intersection curbs do have ramps, though. Not sure what a scooter can handle with regard to slopes, etc. We wouldn't be trying to go up hills other than possibly seeing if the scooter could handle the ramps up to part of El Morro. Staying down along the water and lower plazas and streets, perhaps having lunch somewhere is all we'd try. I think DH has it in mind that he will take it off the ship. It would be helpful for him to have it just to even get off the pier

It's probably a totally dumb idea to take the scooter off the ship in these locations but thought I'd ask anyway - just in case.

Thanks for any advice from those in the know.

We have been to both San Juan and St. Maarten many times in the past. The last time was about 4 years ago but at that time my dh didn't have a mobility issue. So now I've got what is probably a stupid question:

I know San Juan has narrow, cobblestone streets with narrow sidewalks raised up a few inches from street level, plus many hills. I think a fair number of the main intersection curbs do have ramps, though. Not sure what a scooter can handle with regard to slopes, etc. We wouldn't be trying to go up hills other than possibly seeing if the scooter could handle the ramps up to part of El Morro. Staying down along the water and lower plazas and streets, perhaps having lunch somewhere is all we'd try. I think DH has it in mind that he will take it off the ship. It would be helpful for him to have it just to even get off the pier

It's probably a totally dumb idea to take the scooter off the ship in these locations but thought I'd ask anyway - just in case.

Thanks for any advice from those in the know.

Been to both .

San Juan - Most cruise ships dock near the old town which has most of the cobblestone roads. If you take it slow and don't go up steep hills you'll be able to enjoy it. Here's a link you'll find helpful http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/san-juan-puerto-rico-disabled-access

St. Maarten - The area right out of the port is all accessible. There's a ferry that will allow scooters/wheel chairs to take you over to the beach side of island.. However once over to the main part that's where it becomes difficult. A large part of the buidlings on that side are not accessible. When you get off the ferry you'll pass a sign that points to wheelchair accessible washroom. .Just so you know the washrooms are not wheelchair accessible so I don't understand why there's a sign saying that. Here's a helpful link : http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/st-maarten-disabled-access

St. Maarten - There is sidewalk into Philipsburg. It is approximately a mile to the center of town. Also, the water taxi is accessible if he can step in. Helper will assist.

In San Juan, Castillo de San Cristóbal is much closer and easier to get to with fairly good curb cut-outs. Also, it is more accessible than El Morro.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Betty

DH can do stairs as long as they aren’t very very long. Admittedly if there is a handrail it helps a whole lot. If it is somewhat long but no handrail, that won’t work either. We have visited all of the areas mentioned before but didn’t really pay much attention to accessibility as it wasn’t our concern at those times. I’ve always enjoyed just soaking up the atmosphere and looking around in San Juan.Just figured we’d maybe revisit some areas he can manage to get to, people watch and stuff. I imagine he will end up going back to the ship and I will walk around on my own for a while because he will probably be ready to go back to the ship before I am. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

We visited both these places in January. My husband travels with a travelscoot scooter. We stayed in Condado in Puerto Rico and we walked around that area with his scooter without problems. In St. Maarten we took the ferry across to the beach area. The attendants on the ferry lifted his scooter on and off the ferry and helped him as well. Once there we had no issues walking around. There were a few shops he could not go into as they were not accessible.

I used a scooter in St Maarten in 2014. My DH picked out our excursion, made the reservations & unfortunately forgot to tell them we had a scooter.😑 Yikes! HOWEVER - the excursion company handled it like a CHAMP!😊 Upon greeting us at the port, they understood that I couldn't walk long distances and found us a vehicle that could accomodate the scooter. Because our excursion team was so flexible and such great problem solvers - we were still able to visit Maho Beach and watch the planes come in, do some shopping, visit Orient Beach and even an area where we held little sea stars and conch shells they took out of the water for us. We were SO pleased with them and made sure to call when we got home to express our gratitude. We also tipped our driver and excursion leader. If I remember correctly we went thru Viator for St Maarten. Even though we went in 2014 I hope our experience info helps a bit!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app