Any problems with checked luggage pilfering?

JayDeeJay

in an effort to lighten the load in our carry ons, we’re considering putting more ‘stuff’ in checked luggage. Among other things, I would like to put my Olympus TG4 in the suitcase. It’s not really an expensive camera, as far a waterproof cameras go, but would be highly annoyed if it disappeared. So my question is: have you ever had a problem with your checked luggage being pilfered? What do you think - good/bad idea? Thanks!

One time I had 2 bottled coolers that I threw in my suitcase last minute because I didn't drink them the night before. That was taken and note was left. This wasn't any kind of theft of course because that is the rule, they take your booze if you try to smuggle it on. Nothing else was missing though even though they had to go in it to retrieve the booze. I would be shocked if anyone took anything from any guests luggage. It's not like they are alone in a room with your luggage and staff wouldn't want to risk losing their jobs.

Never, EVER put anything of value into checked bags (even if you lock them, which you should ALWAYS do!)....Just resign yourself to carrying whatever you don't want to lose. 99% of the time, your stuff will arrive untouched...but there's no reason to tempt fate!

I wouldn’t suggest It, but not because of theft. On our last cruise out of NYC the cruise line dropped my son’s luggage in the water at the dock and did not recover it.

We were given a $100 credit. we were thankful we didn’t put anything valuable in there. It was a big lesson learned. I’m sure it’s rare, but it definitely happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've always kept anything of value with is in the carry on bags, including all cameras/electronics. We always keep our suitcases that are checked, locked (TSA locks) and have the keys with us, even though Carnival instructs to leave suitcases unlocked. They have always been delivered to our cabin, still locked. But we've never had alcohol or any other item on Carnival's restricted list in them. I've seen some posts here on the Carnival boards mentioning locked suitcases on a few of the "smuggling" threads. From my understanding, if there is something Carnival feels is suspicious (smuggled booze, item on restricted list) and the suitcase is locked, then a letter is delivered to the cabin notifying the passenger(s), who are then instructed to go down to unlock the suitcase so it can be manually inspected.

I wouldn’t suggest It, but not because of theft. On our last cruise out of NYC the cruise line dropped my son’s luggage in the water at the dock and did not recover it.

We were given a $100 credit. we were thankful we didn’t put anything valuable in there. It was a big lesson learned. I’m sure it’s rare, but it definitely happens.

We saw several bags dropped in the water while being loaded on our last cruise out of Tampa. I’m not sure if they recovered them or not, but any electronics would probably have been ruined.

We never put anything of value in checked bags. Even in a carry-on, my daughter’s iPad screen was cracked apparently going through screening at the airport. Security searched through several bags, then stacked several together and hers was on the bottom. She did notice it until she went to use it on the plane.

Edited by JT1962

I really don't think there is any problem with theft, but I would still not put anything that would be easily damaged in there, if it were to be tossed hard or fall into the water.

A cheap padlock or even a zip tie is a good idea if you are worried about theft. Don't be concerned about them opening it. If they want in there, they will just summon you to the naughty room and ask you to open it. I'd much prefer that to someone rummaging through my stuff outside of my presence.

Hubby had a set of cuff links go missing - don't know if it was the airlines or porters or cruise staff. We keep anything of value in our carry on & most of the time carry on everything. Even if I wasn't concerned about theft, what if your camera is in your suitcase at the bottom of one of those bins - it could be crushed. Or what if your suitcase is on the top & falls into the water?

I don't think you would actually have an issue with it being stolen out of your suitcase, and there is a higher probability of your suitcase coming up missing altogether (including your camera).

Almost every cruise I go on now you end up with a letter in your room about a missing suitcase (and a couple cruises ago my mom's went "missing" but the room steward took her down to where they kept the suitcases with no tags and it was there, they had obviously somehow ripped the tag off - I told her not to check it but she wouldn't listen, now she does).

It is always smart to keep anything valuable with you.

I personally carry on all my own stuff and do not check anything. I don't want to wait for it to show up, and I don't want to deal with anything going missing. This applies for the airline and cruise both...

I can pack for a 7-day cruise for 2 of us in 2 airline size carry on roller suitcases and 2 shoulder bags and this includes snorkel gear and all.

After 30 cruises, the best advice I can give to anyone is to lay out everything you think you will need... then put 1/2 of it back in your closet lol! :p

I've never had any issues, but I would never put anything valuable in my checked luggage. All electronics, jewelry, paperwork, meds, and so on are in our carry ons. Pretty much all that is in the checked luggage is clothes and shoes.

I've never had anything go missing but had a hard shell suitcase get absolutely crushed last cruise. Broke the plastic in multiple places. Those containers they use to load luggage on the ship take a lot of luggage so if yours is on the bottom, your camera may be in more pieces than you started with.

I had really cool luggage tags taken off my bags twice! LOL

I now only pack what I can do in a carryon.:D:D

You too huh.....Its a bit of a joke in our house...I ALWAYS have my luggage tags stolen...I mean I have never flown anywhere in the last 10 years with luggage tags still there at destination...now grant it I fly with "Steelers" luggage tags (so clearly I understand why someone would steal them...lol) but still its 100% theft of my luggage tags over the last decade....

to the OP....I work in the moving industry and always advise to carry ALL valuables with you on your person....