obese passenger

mj toth

I have been cruising for many years. I now have an in-law that is rather obese and he would like to go on a cruise. The ships I have been on have rather small bathrooms that I don't think would accommodate him. Does anyone know which ships have better accommodations for obese travellers? I've always stayed in a "normal" room. Will he and his wife have to get a suite? Thanks for any help.

Oh give me a break. I have friends who are very obese, 300+ and he is 400+ and they use what you consider "normal" rooms and do just fine.

Have a blessed day and tell your friends to come along and enjoy every minute of their cruise, just as you do.

Oh give me a break. I have friends who are very obese, 300+ and he is 400+ and they use what you consider "normal" rooms and do just fine.

Have a blessed day and tell your friends to come along and enjoy every minute of their cruise, just as you do.

The OP was just asking a question. We do not know if the in-law is 5'4" and 350 lbs. or 6' and 300 lbs. Those bathrooms on some ships are pretty tiny.

I have a husband who is 6'5" and around 250 and he had such trouble in the regular cabin bathrooms that we have bitten the bullet and gone to suites. The cost is worth him being able to have a comfortable shower and not contort around when he's trying to shave. If they can upgrade, I would.

Cheers,

Charlie

From an obese person....it really depends on how obese your inlaw is. HAL balcony rooms are fine...almost a standard bathtub size. NCL - balcony - shower only - and yes alittle tight put doable... Celebrity - balcony - I don't remember it being a problem.

If his only issue is size - he should be able to deal with a normal room. - no suite, no handicap. If he can afford the suite - great. Or if a handicap room is available as the cruise approaches and is still available - it would not hurt to ask for it if it is going unused. As a big person all my life - you get used to squeezing in places that thin people fit easily. Nice of you to be concerned.

Karen

ummm, 'scuse me... Morbid Obesity is covered by the ADA and since a morbidly obese person might have difficulty using the facilities in a standard cabin, they would be entitled to an accessible cabin.

To say,"oh well, tell them to go use the showers and bathrooms in the spa because they're bigger" and to suffer in a stabdard room if you can't afford a suite is offensive and discriminatory.

(and it is a STANDARD room - not a NORMAL room!)

- - - - - -- - -- - -

Both the Rehabilitation Act and the ADA contain similar definitions of the term "disability." Disability means any person who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life activities, (ii) has a record of such an impairment, or (iii) is regarded as having such an impairment. The ADA specifically provides that it shall be construed consistently with the Rehabilitation Act and the regulations issued pertaining to the Rehabilitation Act. In addition, the ADA requires the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC") to prevent the imposition of inconsistent or conflicting standards between the two Acts.

- - - - - - - - -

Increasingly, courts are taking ADA claims based on obesity more seriously. In a 1993 case arising out of Rhode Island, for example, the federal court concluded that, although simple obesity probably would not qualify, morbid obesity caused by a physiological disorder would be a disability entitling the plaintiff to ADA protection. The court's finding was premised on the fact that the disorder was permanent, and that the claimant's weight gain was not meaningfully voluntary. A 1997 decision of the federal district court in New York agreed that morbid obesity could be a qualifying disability, although it denied the plaintiff's claim because she could not demonstrate that her obesity substantially limited her ability to work. In 1996, the federal district court in New Hampshire held that a teacher had adequately stated a claim under the ADA when she alleged that she had been fired because of her weight and the evidence reflected student perceptions based on her size that she was less intelligent. The federal district court in Pennsylvania, in 1997, awarded damages to a fired employee when he was able to show that his former manager had made derogatory comments about his weight. And a 1996 Texas decision found that a bus company had improperly decided not to hire an obese woman as a driver because the company could not demonstrate that her obesity would prevent her from performing the necessary functions of the job.

I am truly sorry LittleBit if I posted or used terminology that was not correct. I really just posted to help someone who was concerned for a friends comfort.

I agree morbid obesity can be a disability (please, excuse me if I am not using the correct terminology) but you can suffer with morbid obesity and not be disabled. I for one, feel comfortable in a standard room and I tried to get that across to the OP. In fact my 120 lb friend who traveled with me on NCL had the same statements about the shower size as I did. And I feel fortunate that I have full mobility and have no related health issues and therefore I would prefer feel guilty asking for an "accessible" cabin without a real need.

And morbid obesity has many levels. Both in actual weight and complications like mobility and health and I think disability should be judged by that just by the number on the scale.

I agree there is discrimination out there and people who have "instant" opinions on someone who is obese, but I have lived by 51 years, mostly obese, and I am thankful that I have not felt discriminated against because of my obesity. Wish everyone was so fortunate.

I again apologize and meant no harm and never meant someone should sqeeze anywhere if they could not afford a suite.... But lets face it, a suite is nice for anyone... including me... so if I had the Money, I would be doing a suite and enjoying the extra space just like anyone that was 100 lbs lighter. I reread my post, and yes, I could have said it better or different - but no ill will was meant.

Karen

Karen

Fear not -

I was not offended by anything you posted -I just hate the word "NORMAL" for anything - it implies that something is "not normal" or "abnormal" when it is simply different. Average, standard, common . . much better words.

I was more frustrated at the comment someone made that read more along the lines of a fat person should have to buy a suite if they're too fat for a normal room...let 'em use the showers (and bathrooms) in the gym instead. Just wanded to point out that this issue IS covered by ADA if he/she truly falls into the catagory that would make a standard cabin uncomfortable.

People are people. We all come in different shapes and sizes. What is comfy for me at 5'3 and an extra 50 lbs is uncomfortable for my beaux at 6'4 and could stand to gain about 20 lbs... I have no problem doing a hike of 8-10 iles and my skinny buddy hates the idea of having to walk from the car to the mall.

I have been cruising for many years. I now have an in-law that is rather obese and he would like to go on a cruise. The ships I have been on have rather small bathrooms that I don't think would accommodate him. Does anyone know which ships have better accommodations for obese travellers? I've always stayed in a "normal" room. Will he and his wife have to get a suite? Thanks for any help.

Up until 2.5 years ago I was morbidly obese. I do understand your concern for your in-law. I had a major problem on RCCL Viking Serenade as the toilet was placed between the wall and the sink. Definitely a very, very tight fit.

On Dawn Princess the toilet is placed between the shower and the sink and was much more space because of that.

Definitely check out the floor plans if possible.

We have traveled a great deal by train over the years. Our last trip (over 2 years ago) I asked for a handicap acessible room because I knew I would not be able to use the tiny, tiny bathrooms on the train. I explained my problem (Obesity) and I was allowed to reserve the room on the train.

I would think your in-law would also be allowed to reserve a handicap accessible room too if needed on the ship. Why not call the cruise lines and asked or talk to your travel agent if you have one.

On the Carnival Spirit, the mini suites bathrooms would not be a problem for someone obese. It was about the same size as a bathroom in an apartment so was nice.

I had weight loss surgery 2.5 years ago and have lost 151 lbs. It has given me my health back and my freedom to do so much more. I wouldn't even consider flying at one point because of my size.

One note ... the handicap accessible room our friend had on the Dawn Princess only had twin beds that couldn't be converted into a queen/king. Also you might want to talk to your in-law to see if they truly feel the bathrooms will be an issue for them. Even tho obese, many obese individuals do not have problems in the bathrooms.

I hesitated coming back to this post but I must say that I am so glad I did. Uplifting to say the least.

And LittleBit - I do appreciate your comments - I love meeting and chatting with people both in person and online and Iwould hate to think they went away with a bad feeling just because a word I used.

And to the OP...sail away with the inlaws...

Karen

I hesitated coming back to this post but I must say that I am so glad I did. Uplifting to say the least.

And LittleBit - I do appreciate your comments - I love meeting and chatting with people both in person and online and Iwould hate to think they went away with a bad feeling just because a word I used.

And to the OP...sail away with the inlaws...

Karen

Hi Karen ~ I am glad you came back ~ Els

A lot would depend on the ship. I have only been on two cruises so far and I am 5'6" and probably pushing 300 and have not really had a problem. ON the NCL Dawn I had a regular inside room and tons of room in the bathroom. On the NCL Majesty I had deluxe standard room and that bathroom was quite tiny. I did have to manuver a bit to get in because there is about 1" between the door when it opens and the toilet, a skinny person may have had touble too. But once inside and the door closed it wasn't too bad, tiny but managable.

I am disabled and as a result of that have become morbidly obese. Last year around this time I went on my first cruse on Carnival's Miracle. Had a noraml room on the 4th leaveal Had pleanty of room, in bouth the room and the bathroom. They even provied me with a Showerchair.

Getting around on the ship was easy. If your friend has any specail needs its best to call before going so they will have things ready when you borad the ship.

I was not the only large person on the ship that week. I hate to sound like I am singleing out one group of people. But there was a trucking company that was on borad that week with several big Guys. They where a great bunch of guys.

The life of an obese person...This thread, although short, has highlighted many areas. Yes, squeezing and fitting into tight spots are highlighted and will personally say is always an issue with larger people. Will I fit, will it support me>......I would rather squeeze and manuever - then stay home.

What I am more distraught over, and I suffered with this in years past, is NOT doing things because you are large. Don't let the obesity stop you from enjoying life and being sedate. It will only make it worse. Don't let self discrimination stop you. Get out, enjoy life, walk, swim, dance - enjoy whatever you want and don't let that discriminating person inside you ever say - you will look fat in that bathing suit... Who cares??? And if someone does - thats there problem.

Katya4... congrats - doesn't it feel great. You sound like you've overcome that disciminating person inside you.

Karen

The life of an obese person...This thread, although short, has highlighted many areas. Yes, squeezing and fitting into tight spots are highlighted and will personally say is always an issue with larger people. Will I fit, will it support me>......I would rather squeeze and manuever - then stay home.

What I am more distraught over, and I suffered with this in years past, is NOT doing things because you are large. Don't let the obesity stop you from enjoying life and being sedate. It will only make it worse. Don't let self discrimination stop you. Get out, enjoy life, walk, swim, dance - enjoy whatever you want and don't let that discriminating person inside you ever say - you will look fat in that bathing suit... Who cares??? And if someone does - thats there problem.

Katya4... congrats - doesn't it feel great. You sound like you've overcome that disciminating person inside you.

Karen

Karen - you are so right! Large people can do whatever the want!

Signed,

Christine, a 4-time triathlete even though I am Fat!

Good going Christine.... Don't think I am physically up to a triathalon and I guess the motivation to get in the shape you need to be.

What was the hardest part - Swim, Run, or Bike. I guess you really need to love all three activities...

Whens the 5th????

Karen

I don't run, I walk...with is perfectly acceptable in a triathlon. the bike is the hardest part for me and definately not a sport I 'love'. It is hard having to pedal no only the bike but all your own weight up a hill. If the hill is bad enough I do get off an walk the bike for a while.

I started the training for the first one slowly. Did just what I was able to do and did not push it too far. Slowly I got better, but still am quite slow. I might finish last, but I finish :)

Hopefully the 5th will be next summer.

I agree, the bike would be the hardest and most challenging. I could probably handle the walk - not a run. Swimming - I am ok at - and could easily float and rest.... but the bike thing - no way

I give you credit.... and keep up the good work.

Boy, I am now ashamed I cant get back into walking my two miles daily. Maybe it will give me some inspiration.

Karen

I haven't read all the responses yet but wanted to add that Carnival has a full size (bathtub size) shower stall and the hallways are bigger (taller and wider) and so when I brought my obese Father in law on a cruise I chose Carnival and he was fine. They got him a shower seat and he was set. He is older and not very mobile... Also their standard cabin is 175 sq ft which is larger than most.. Debbie

• 2 years later...

I will be on the Solstice in a few weeks and I am very concerned. Yes I am obese and have mobility issues. I have thought of the bathroom and everyone says it would not be a problem. What about in the dining roomnare those chairs ok, or will I have to make pre arrangements. I am traveling with FAMILY and because I am their dad and papa they think I can do it all ???? I do not want to ruin any thing for anyone......