"LIVE" from Norwegian Breakaway - Oct 12, 2014

Radio

Hello everyone, Good Morning. . . . Welcome to DAY 4 of “LIVE” from Norwegian Breakaway

We just pulled up to Great Stirrup Cay after passing Coco Cay and Majesty of the Seas. Several tenders have approached Breakaway slowly to start taking passengers ashore. The wasters are very blue, and very calm. . . .there are light clouds in the sky and the forecast is calling for rain, but much later today.

I will be going ashore soon to swim, relax, sight see and take a few images. I first must complete a rigorous workout though . . . This is a workout that involves upper arm strength and coordination. For those of you that are suggesting coffee consumption. . .You may be correct. (I think I need a XL.

Radio

Early morning Bahamas sunrise

W1.jpg

I am happy to see blue skies this morning

W4.jpg

We arrive at Great Stirrup Cay with several tenders. . .

W5.JPG

Little Norway II will be one of the tenders transporting us this morning

W8.JPG

Ahhh. . .I like the view from the “Radio Pressroom”

W7.JPG

Our current position (as of 8:30AM)

MAP3.jpg

Edited by Radio

Enjoy your beach day! Please No more rain for you guys! the ship is washed down enough! Can't wait for more to see and read, haven't been to Great Stirup Cay in years, and want to see all the great changes it made! hope there are no sand fleas this time of year!

The call of KSC was just too strong, glad you got to one of your "happy places".

To answer a question from a prior poster, if I may, Radio relaxes by sharing his travels on his many cruises. He loves to take pictures and write commentary. He is not compensated by any cruise line nor does he work for Cruise Critic, or any other on-line service. How do I know this, I count him among one of my close friends. We have shared a few cruises together and truly enjoy each others company, as well as that of some other avid cruisers. It is real easy, at least for me, to form relationships with folks that share similar interests.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Thanks for reading.

Enjoy your beach day! Please No more rain for you guys! the ship is washed down enough! Can't wait for more to see and read, haven't been to Great Stirup Cay in years, and want to see all the great changes it made! hope there are no sand fleas this time of year!

No sand fleas. . .Yay ! Lots of pics to come. . . .

Radio

;);)

did you get to see the Cabanas?

How far are they away from the main dining area?

And is there a second dining area on the other side of the cabanas?

Can you walk easily from cabana to main area?

If not, how often are the trams running?

sorry for all the questions...we will be on GSC in about a month and wanted to get perspective. THanks in advance.

Enjoy your beach day.!!:D:D

Glad you made it there. I've made it on one of three tries, and that time the tenders were delayed because it was windy and rocky, we finally got there, decided to stop bringing people, they gave us to 2PM and brought us back. We stayed about an hour and a half just to check it out and didn't even eat there. At least I finally SAW it! Hope you had a good time and looking forward to pics.

Hello everyone. . . I went over to GSC around 9:30 this morning. It is a short tender ride over to the tender area docks. This area is new as when I was here back in 2009, tenders would dock right on the beach as a platform folded down from the bow of the ship. NCL built 4 tender docks to the south area of the island. There is a new pre boarding structure when you have to wait for a tender. Several of the nicer improvements include new beaches throughout the island as well as the lagoon beach on the north side.

There are lots of new restroom areas that are placed strategically, and several new bars and food pavilions. They have also added a WaveRunner dock, new locals market, and the new cabanas. I didn’t make it over the New Stingray experience area. . .but maybe next time.

I took a swim over in the main area near the Bacardi Bar, but remembered hearing how nice the lagoon area was. The report was right accurate. It takes a bit to walk over (10 ish minutes) but it was very serene, very quiet with beautiful calm water. That area has its own dining pavilions - bar, and restrooms. As I walked back, I was able to see the cabanas I have been hearing so much about. They seemed wonderful nad I heard that more may be built as they sell out on every cruise. I believe there may have been around 20 of them currently. NCL seems to know what passengers like with private islands, and they have proved it with these recent enhancements.

I seem to hear a lot of complaints while cruising, and most I just brush off. . .But the one conversation that was heard today was special. While sitting down having lunch in the dining pavilion (Lagoon) this “loud conversation was overheard between boyfriend and girlfriend.( I could be wrong, maybe they were married) Let’s begin. . .

BF “ How come they don’t serve hot dogs on GSC?”

GF “ Yes they do. . .they are over on the grill”

BF “ But Royal served cheeseburgers on Coco Cay, why can’t we have them here?”

GF “ They are over on the Grill too”

This yelling was heard by about 2 dozen passengers as they yelled these comments about 30 ft.

BF “If they are going to have all this food, at least they could provide a restroom, right?”

GF “ The restrooms are behind the dining pavilion”

By this time, the BF suggested that they go back to the ship. There was some mumbling about it’s time to watch football or something. . . It kind of seemed like it was a script that was being followed. . .Oh well.

I came back to Breakaway around 1:30 (yes, I know a little early) and wanted to try the Slides. . . I conquered all slides. I feel very successful because many guys half my age were not having anything to do with the monster slide where the floor drops from under you.

I guess tomorrow I will have to tackle the rope course !

Tomorrow is Nassau day, and we will be sharing the piers with Carnival Pride which is on her final cruise before dry dock. We don’t have very far to go (57nm) so I guess will travel tonight very slow. We just left to go to Nassau as I am writing this from the "pressroom"

Here are a few pics from today. Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

We head over on the tender for a short ride. . .

W39.JPG

I make it off of the tender to enjoy Great Stirrup Cay.

W40.JPG

Hmmm. . . Where do I start ?

W14.JPG

There are plenty of loungers for these beautiful beaches.

W16.JPG

The beaches were everywhere. . .

W27.JPG

The beaches were very soft, and the water was delightful

W17.JPG

Edited by Radio

Here are a few more pics. . .Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

I really liked the cabanas. . .

W21.JPG

A lot of time was spent for the Cabana landscaping

W28.JPG

My favorite area was over by the lagoon

W24.JPG

The clamshell lounge shades were very popular. . .

W29A.jpg

I would love to come back to Great Stirrup Cay

W34.JPG

I head back over to my “home for a few more nights”

W36.JPG

Edited by Radio

did you get to see the Cabanas?

How far are they away from the main dining area?

And is there a second dining area on the other side of the cabanas?

Can you walk easily from cabana to main area?

If not, how often are the trams running?

sorry for all the questions...we will be on GSC in about a month and wanted to get perspective. THanks in advance.

Enjoy your beach day.!!:D:D

I saw most of the Cabanas and they are not far from the dining areas. I think there may have been 3 separate dining areas on GSC. There are several trams that run every 10 minutes.

Radio

;);)

The call of KSC was just too strong, glad you got to one of your "happy places".

To answer a question from a prior poster, if I may, Radio relaxes by sharing his travels on his many cruises. >SNIP<

Wow MedicKen . . . Thanks. Your check is in the mail !

Radio

;);)

I saw most of the Cabanas and they are not far from the dining areas. I think there may have been 3 separate dining areas on GSC. There are several trams that run every 10 minutes.

Radio

;);)

is the island that large that you need the trams and if so what do you use them for?

Also it looks a tad crowded in some of the pics, does everyone congregate in 1 spot

Edited by dvond

is the island that large that you need the trams and if so what do you use them for?

Also it looks a tad crowded in some of the pics, does everyone congregate in 1 spot

I thought the same! Why would they line up chairs packed on top of each other like that?

Do they have towels on the island or do you have to carry your one NCL issued towel back & forth?

I can't thank you enough for your live reports! I sail next week & your information is extremely helpful.

One thing that I had been dying for was your report of GSC & from your view it is awesome! Now I'm even happier that I reserved a cabana.

So glad that you made it there and were able to enjoy the day.

Can't wait for tomorrow's report. :D

Edited by WishICouldCruiseNow