Pre/Post Cruise Hotel

BTCRUISES

I've searched and scanned and seem to be having trouble finding things. Frustrating for a usually resourceful chick! I hope my questions aren't too frustrating for you - I'm certain I can't be the only brand new cruiser trying to figure it all out.

We fly into Barcelona the day before we sail. We arrive early in the morning and are looking for a hotel for the night. We were surprised that Oceania can't help with finding accommodations but we understand we are last minute bookers and that service is only offered when at least 60 days out. So I'm looking (and a little frantic.)

My first question is this... once I find/book a hotel, do we just take a taxi from the airport and leave our luggage with the hotel until check-in while we check out the city? And then in the morning do we just take a taxi to the pier? And if so, which pier is it? Do drivers know which one to take us to for the Oceania Riviera?

Same thing in Athens 10 days later... I'm looking for a hotel. Assume we get off the ship then taxi to the hotel (I will find one!) drop our luggage and see the city... Taxi to the airport in the morning for 6am flight!!?

Is there a better transportation option to/from airport or hotel or pier?

Hotel recommendations would be really appreciated too.

Thanks so much. We are looking soooooooooooo forward to this getaway!!

You could try looking at Trip advisor for reviews of hotels

also check the ports of Call forum for recommended hotels

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=596

In your final documents (email 2-3 weeks out) it shout tell you what pier in Barcelona but it may change but I am sure most taxis can find the ship

You could also try searching Cruise Critic for recommended Barcelona hotels. There are lots of comments about this!

Recently we have been using the Regencia Colon, a three star in back of the "real" Colon ... opposite the Cathedral. A very convenient location with reasonable prices.

Another hotel we enjoyed was the Europark -- walking distance from Sagrada Familia.

In the past we stayed at the Continental hotels just north and just south of Placa Catalunya. One is a four star, the other a three star. Again, very close to the port.

Have a great cruise!

Mura

Yes, just taxi to hotel when you land. We stayed at Arc Las Rambles, right at the bottom end of Las Ramblas, and fairly close to the port.

Thanks for recommendation. We are also interested in Barcelona hotel.

Our cruise ended in Athens this past July. We arranged for a private pick up along with a 1/2 day city tour with Timeless Athens Tours (same car and driver for both). Was wonderful and included a drop off at our hotel. Would highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you don't have a lot of luggage or are traveling light than you can take the Aerobus from the Barcelona airport to the city. The bus drops you off at several locations the last which is the Placa Catalunya which is central and at the top of the Ramblas. Last year we stayed at the Hotel Acta Atrium Palace on the Gran Via and it was very nice, reasonable and central. The previous year we stay at the Hotel Jazz were many people from CC stay but for some reason the rates were rather high when I checked for last year. The previous two years we stay at a small unique boutique hotel in the Eixample neighborhood called Hotel Praktik Rambla. We liked this hotel but once again their rates almost doubled from our previous stays. We have always taken a taxi from the hotel to the port. I believe there is a shuttle bus if you are located at the bottom of the Ramblas.

In Athens we stayed at the Athens Gate Hotel which was nice and reasonable. We used Athens Airport Shuttle to get from the hotel to the port were we embarked and shared the van with 2 other couples on the cruise. We took a taxi from the Athens airport to the the hotel.

You can leave your luggage with the hotel to sight see but let the hotel know you will be arriving early. If they have a room ready they will check you into the room. Enjoy our trip.

We loved H10 Hotel Raco del Pi in the Gothic quarter. Great location, reasonable boutique hotel in Barcelona. It’s a short taxi ride to the port. Have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we also found this on trip advisor and booked H10!!. it looks fantastic.

We are on a wait list for Ava in Athens. fingers crossed!

we also found this on trip advisor and booked H10!!. it looks fantastic.

We are on a wait list for Ava in Athens. fingers crossed!

The Ava looks like a great hotel and is only 3 minutes walking from the Athens Gate where we stayed which was very good location for restaurants etc. Will keep this find in mind for next time.

I've searched and scanned and seem to be having trouble finding things. Frustrating for a usually resourceful chick! I hope my questions aren't too frustrating for you - I'm certain I can't be the only brand new cruiser trying to figure it all out.

We fly into Barcelona the day before we sail. We arrive early in the morning and are looking for a hotel for the night. We were surprised that Oceania can't help with finding accommodations but we understand we are last minute bookers and that service is only offered when at least 60 days out. So I'm looking (and a little frantic.)

My first question is this... once I find/book a hotel, do we just take a taxi from the airport and leave our luggage with the hotel until check-in while we check out the city? And then in the morning do we just take a taxi to the pier? And if so, which pier is it? Do drivers know which one to take us to for the Oceania Riviera?

Same thing in Athens 10 days later... I'm looking for a hotel. Assume we get off the ship then taxi to the hotel (I will find one!) drop our luggage and see the city... Taxi to the airport in the morning for 6am flight!!?

Is there a better transportation option to/from airport or hotel or pier?

Hotel recommendations would be really appreciated too.

Thanks so much. We are looking soooooooooooo forward to this getaway!!

Sounds like you need a good TA to advise and arrange all these elements for you.

• 2 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Royal Ramblas on a previous trip and will be staying there again before our next cruise on Nov. 13. The Royal Ramblas Hotel is right on the Ramblas, a great walking street. It is also quite close to the Placa Catalunya, where there are many restaurants and where the Airport bus stops (if you want to save a little money instead of taking a cab). It is easy to order a cab from the hotel to the port. The port of Barcelona is huge and even if you had a hotel near the port, walking to your ship would be quite a challenge.

Also, another benefit of staying at the Royal Ramblas is that it is only a couple of doors down from a Carrefour Market. This is a great store which has just about everything one would want as last minute stuff to take on a cruise. They have a huge selection of wines and alcohol as well as sundries, food, water, snacks, etc. Make sure you check this place out.

Understand that it is a 30 to 40 minute drive from Athens to the airport. To make a 6 AM flight, you will need to leave your hotel by 3:30 AM. That gives you time to clear security which can be long as the 6 to 7 AM timeframe is very busy. Highly recommend you book a private pickup.

Despite what Wripro suggested, sure, a TA can help. But it really isn't necessary.

We've visited Barcelona many times since 2005, and also Athens a couple of times since 2011. We never have used our TA for finding hotels and transfers. That's where the internet is so helpful.

Even if you are booking a hotel relatively last minute, you shouldn't have a problem. If you haven't done so already do a search at CC on "Barcelona hotels" and also go to the ports of call section. Already here you have had a number of hotel suggestions for Barcelona.

For future reference, when asking about hotel recommendations it can't hurt to indicate your price range! If you are a three star hotel person (as we are), then recommendations for five star hotels aren't all that helpful.

(And if Oceania offered to make reservations for you -- not that they have -- you'd be paying through the nose for the same room that you could get at less than half the cost if booked on your own.)

Mura

The Ava looks like a great hotel and is only 3 minutes walking from the Athens Gate where we stayed which was very good location for restaurants etc. Will keep this find in mind for next time.

We have stayed at both the Ava and the Athens Gate. They're both nice hotels, and centrally located in the Plaka area close to all the sights. But the view from the Athens Gate is simply unbeatable. The rooftop restaurant offers a stunning view and makes the included breakfast very special. I also found the staff at Athens Gate very helpful.

Someone said there's a view of the Acropolis from the Ava, but I sure didn't see it...We're returning to the Athens Gate again next week.

We have stayed at both the Ava and the Athens Gate. They're both nice hotels, and centrally located in the Plaka area close to all the sights. But the view from the Athens Gate is simply unbeatable. The rooftop restaurant offers a stunning view and makes the included breakfast very special. I also found the staff at Athens Gate very helpful.

Someone said there's a view of the Acropolis from the Ava, but I sure didn't see it...We're returning to the Athens Gate again next week.

Thank you for the comparison. I loved sitting on the rooftop deck looking at the view and drinking wine.

And a superior price if you do not have points.

True, but considering the plummeting value of Airline Miles, the Starwood Points option (which never expire and have no blackout periods) is a superior product.

Knowledge is power.

True, but considering the plummeting value of Airline Miles, the Starwood Points option (which never expire and have no blackout periods) is a superior product.

Knowledge is power.

Maybe a few changes with the Marriott merger.

The Grande Bretagne has a lovely view and a fine restaurant. As others have noted, the price [for non-point folks] is significantly higher than either the Ava or Athens Gate. But it's also farther from the Acropolis, and the many restaurant choices in the Plaka. I mentioned the included breakfast with view at Athens Gate...according to Expedia, breakfast is an additional 43 euros at Grande Bretagne...definitely out of my price range! And Syntagma Square is right at your front door, which is fine unless there are protests/demonstrations/strikes going on...

It's nice that Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor provide a forum to give folks different perspectives on travel. We can all agree that a view of the Acropolis is magnificent from any direction!:champagne-toast:

many years ago we stayed at Titania hotel near the Plaka

I looked & it is still there it gets mixed reviews but maybe for the budget minded it would work

nice rooftop view of the Acropolis & shopping close by

I remember there was a bakery on the corner that sold the most delicious bread rings also there was a guy selling them right near the hotel

we had picked up a few to take on the bus tour we had booked ..most other pax were afraid to buy from the street vendor but they were sooo good

Edited by LHT28