Overcharged for on board credits

LM63

Hi all,

I bought some on board credit through the cruise personaliser for our cruise departing in 10 days leaving from Barcelona.

As I am in Australia the credit shows up in AU$.

It shows you can buy lots of AU$130 which apparently equates US$100 so I bought 5 lots = AU$650

On the statement I received from Princess it shows that I bought

US$100 x 5 at $130 each which is correct.

Today I checked my credit card statement & it says Princess has charged me AU$932 (US$650) an over charge of AU$282

Long story short I rang Princess... twice & was told by the second operator to email feedback@princess.com.au

That was yesterday I haven't received any reply or even an automated email to say they received my email.

We are flying out next Friday & I should be feeling excited, now I'm feeling stressed, just another thing I to do before we leave which I could of done without.

Feeling annoyed. Has anyone else had this issue & was it rectified in a timely fashion.

Cheers

LM

Not trying to defend the line, but it appears to be a simple mistake.

That being said, it would seem to be easy to fix. Unfortunately, the person on the phone probably does not have access to fix your problem.

If I were in your shoes, I would continue sending emails, not only addressing the financial mistake on their part, but also their lack of response to your prior email(s).

I am confident that it will be fixed, but possibly not before your trip. Try not to let it harm your vacation.

My take on it as well. If I don't get help from a call to Princess I just wait a short while and call back again. One could also send email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com. That address is normally pretty responsive. Be nice in the email. :)

OP is in Australia. Hence the email that the OP posted. ;)

Princess Australia is a different animal.

Hi LM,

I am guessing that you may have made a similar error to what I made last year. Like yourself, I am able to put money on my shipboard account in Canadian dollars at a better exchange rate than the Banks. Instead of telling the Princess Rep that I wanted to put $3500CDN on my account, I made the mistake of putting $3500US on my account, so of course, I did not get the CDN rate that Princess offered at the time. The difference was over $400CDN. I did not realize this error until a month after my cruise when I received my credit card statement in the mail. I contacted Customer Relations (phone is 1-877-888-1869; e-mail is: customerrelations@princesscruises.com). They could look back on their computer system to see that I had a history of putting Canadian money on my account on previous cruises. I sent them a copy of my credit card statement and they very kindly sent me the $400CDN as a refund. I was very pleased with their handling of what essentially was my stupid mistake (of course, in my dealings with Princess, I did not admit that it was my error!) I hope you are able to get a similar result!

Warmest Regards,

Hi all,

I bought some on board credit through the cruise personaliser for our cruise departing in 10 days leaving from Barcelona.

It shows you can buy lots of AU$130 which apparently equates US$100 so I bought 5 lots = AU$650

Today I checked my credit card statement & it says Princess has charged me AU$932 (US$650) an over charge of AU$282

Long story short I rang Princess... twice & was told by the second operator to email feedback@princess.com.au

That was yesterday I haven't received any reply or even an automated email to say they received my email.

We are flying out next Friday & I should be feeling excited, now I'm feeling stressed, just another thing I to do before we leave which I could of done without.

Feeling annoyed. Has anyone else had this issue & was it rectified in a timely fashion.

Cheers

LM

Can you let us know how this goes. I often do this from Aust as well and will be having a better look at my credit card from now on.

You are going to Barcelona and then a cruise so I wouldn't stress too much at all. It will get sorted I'm sure.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Wonder why the rep kissed it off to a generic email instead of just taking care of it for you?? clear.png?emoji-roll-eyes-1744

The first person I spoke to said that he could cancel the whole transaction but couldn't guarantee I'd get the same amount back as it was dependent on the days exchange rate.

A quick conversion on google showed the amount I would get back was less than what I paid. I didn't think this was satisfactory as it wasn't my fault so why should I be out of pocket.

I then rang & spoke with another person to request a statement of what I had paid & they told me I had only US $500 onboard credit & to email Princess as it was a big discrepancy.

I am guessing that you may have made a similar error to what I made last year

No mistake, clearly says AU $130 & I bought 5 lots, simple math is AU $650 not AU $932.

$282 is quite a big fee for exchange fee :o

One could also send email to customerrelations@princesscruises.com. That address is normally pretty responsive. :)

OP is in Australia. Hence the email that the OP posted. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

Princess Australia is a different animal.

That's true is a different animal but I'll give it a go if I have no joy with Princess Australia....got nothing to lose.

Be nice in the email.

Always am :)

Can you let us know how this goes. I often do this from Aust as well and will be having a better look at my credit card from now on.

You are going to Barcelona and then a cruise so I wouldn't stress too much at all. It will get sorted I'm sure.

I surely will.

I think what made it more stressful was that I had just been on the phone for over an hour to our internet provider cause our internet was down. It was my day off & I had lots of last minute things to organise for our trip, then I check my credit card balance, which I never do, just wait for the statement & bam I see I've been overcharged then when I rang Princess I felt more frustrated.

You are right though, we are going to Barcelona & then on a cruise, although this still does need to be sorted one way or another, I can't really complain too much, only 6 sleeps until we fly out.

Cheers

LM

Hi all,

Cheers

LM

It looks like they have made an error by converting the currency twice - once by converting US$100 to AUD$130 (times 5 = AUD$650), then by converting the $650 as if it is US$, into AUD, making AUD$932. This is a clear error. When you can point out to Princess what the error is, you will have more chance of getting it fixed promptly. I have always found it is difficult to get an error fixed if you simply say they made a mistake, but if you can point out what it is, things can be often be fixed quickly.

All the best. Please let us know how you go. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

If you have time in Barcelona before you board the ship, I recommend you go to the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's church) if you haven't been there already. You have to book ahead for a time slot. It is well worth it. :)

It looks like they have made an error by converting the currency twice - once by converting US$100 to AUD$130 (times 5 = AUD$650), then by converting the $650 as if it is US$, into AUD, making AUD$932. This is a clear error. When you can point out to Princess what the error is, you will have more chance of getting it fixed promptly. I have always found it is difficult to get an error fixed if you simply say they made a mistake, but if you can point out what it is, things can be often be fixed quickly.

All the best. Please let us know how you go. Have a wonderful cruise. :)

If you have time in Barcelona before you board the ship, I recommend you go to the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's church) if you haven't been there already. You have to book ahead for a time slot. It is well worth it. :)

Yep I think that is exactly what they've done.

Except it is mastercard that has done the conversion from US$650.00 to AU$932.00 .

Princess just charged me in US$ not AU$ so essentially it has been converted twice, it just should never have been

charged in US$.

Thanks for the tip about Sagrada Familia it's on our list.

Cheers

LM

Montserrat Monastery should also be on your list. We did a half day with Barcelona Day Tours who are excellent.

Other than that I recommend heaps of paella and patatas bravas. Washed down of course with your choice of beverage! A very easy city to walk to just about everything.

Yep I think that is exactly what they've done.

Except it is mastercard that has done the conversion from US$650.00 to AU$932.00 .

Princess just charged me in US$ not AU$ so essentially it has been converted twice, it just should never have been

charged in US$.

Thanks for the tip about Sagrada Familia it's on our list.

Cheers

LM

Then I would go back to Mastercard and point out their error. This is a problem you can do without just days before your trip. :)

I had troubles with buying OBC for my cruise on the Diamond, an Aussie cruise in Aussie dollars purchased on the Aussie website. Once on the ship they insisted I'd purchased US$ despite all my paperwork saying otherwise. The amount of OBC was less than I'd purchased. Couldn't get it fixed onboard but did get the difference credited to my next cruise once I got home. I learnt never to pre purchase on the Princess website, they just can't work out Aussie dollars. I hope yours is sorted but please don't let it put a dampener on your cruise. It will be fabulous and you will (at some stage) get your money sorted.

I think there's something weird in the conversion systemwide. I booked 3 for free promotion as a single, category BD. Although I'm fine with how it worked out, I only got $200AUD OBC instead of $200USD:

Cruise Fare $2,098.00

Vacation Protection $167.84

Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses $220.00

Total Price $2,485.84

Payment Received $210.00

Balance Due $2,275.84

On Board Credit (AUD)$200.00

FWIW: If I call after business hours I often get someone working remotely who cannot fix my issue. Try calling during regular office hours

Edited by Ombud

Then I would go back to Mastercard and point out their error. This is a problem you can do without just days before your trip. :)

Thanks for your suggestion but it's not Mastercards error. Princess has charged US $650 to my card instead of charging in AU$.

I wish Princess just had US$ on my personaliser instead of AU$. I have booked tours with them & paid for gratuities all saying AU$ & have been charged in AU$ then converted to US$ by Mastercard but on this occasion Princess failed to charge me in AU$.

I think there's something weird in the conversion systemwide. I booked 3 for free promotion as a single, category BD. Although I'm fine with how it worked out, I only got $200AUD OBC instead of $200USD:

Yes I think with onboard credit there is definitely something wrong there.

I wouldn't care so much if it was free onboard credit but since I've paid for it I don't want to just let it go, it's a significant enough amount. Now the Aussie dollar is going up I wish I had just exchanged my $$$, bet you they don't offer me any compensation for the time I've wasted chasing this up or the stress it's cause. I reckon a free massage would suffice ;)

I had troubles with buying OBC for my cruise on the Diamond, an Aussie cruise in Aussie dollars purchased on the Aussie website. Once on the ship they insisted I'd purchased US$ despite all my paperwork saying otherwise. The amount of OBC was less than I'd purchased.

This is what I was worried about. My husband said why don't we just sort it out on the ship, I said they will probably have less of a clue what is going on & insist we have less than what I paid for.

Couldn't get it fixed onboard but did get the difference credited to my next cruise once I got home. I learnt never to pre purchase on the Princess website, they just can't work out Aussie dollars. I hope yours is sorted but please don't let it put a dampener on your cruise. It will be fabulous and you will (at some stage) get your money sorted.

Do you remember how you got this sorted? Who you contacted to get it resolved?

I don't really want the $$$ credited to my next cruise, not sure there is going to be another one with Princess.....Royal Caribbean is looking good atm :p

I was going to mention canceling it and recharging but for the reason you stated above it could be an even bigger can of worms X 2. :o

I did ask about cancelling it don't worry & I wouldn't be recharging if I did. If I cancel I would get back, AU$891 with today's exchange rate, which is a loss of AU$41. I've thought about just saying PRINCESS YOU WIN, take my AU$41 just so I don't have this hanging over my head when we leave but I'm worried that they'll stuff that up too & only give me back AU$650 instead of the US$650 I paid. Then I'd still be out of pocket AU$282

Who knows maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

Monday morning they might contact me & it'll all be sorted out.

Fingers crossed.

I did ask about cancelling it don't worry & I wouldn't be recharging if I did. If I cancel I would get back, AU$891 with today's exchange rate, which is a loss of AU$41. I've thought about just saying PRINCESS YOU WIN, take my AU$41 just so I don't have this hanging over my head when we leave but I'm worried that they'll stuff that up too & only give me back AU$650 instead of the US$650 I paid. Then I'd still be out of pocket AU$282

Fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Fingers crossed.

it's my understanding that if you contest it with your charge card company they simply cancel the entire transaction. Is it different in Australia then in the US?

The lesson I learned this week...

Anyone attempting to purchase OBC at a 'locked-in rate' for a cruise (the exchange rate at which you purchased your cruise) may want to check their credit card transaction. Princess 'appeared' to sell me $30.Cdn, equivalent to $25US @.20 exchange rate. It appeared correctly on my Travel Summary but my Cdn bank charged me $40.15 Cdn @.34 exchange rate. Very misleading. After 90 minutes on the phone with Princess and my bank, I cancelled the OBC that I purchased the previous day.

There currently is NO way for Canadians to purchase OBC at the 'locked-in' rate or for Princess to sell it to you. If anyone was able to do it in the past, that ship has sailed. They can only bill you in US$ at the day's exchange rate even though OBC is presented on your personalizer as being available to you in increments in foreign currency at a lower rate than the daily bank rate. Princess needs to stop presenting/selling OBC in any other currency other than US$. I feel it's dishonest for Princess to present OBC in funds at the 'locked-in' rate (and currency in which you paid for your cruise) on the Personalizer, only to have your bank charge you the daily rate.

Your final onboard account balance will be charged at the going exchange rate on the day you settle your account (which I knew). They won't accept Cdn cash at the 'locked-in rate' either, i.e. $120 Cdn should have covered $100US.

If you're happy to pre-purchase OBC at the going rate, know that's what you will be charged. For me, personally, there was no advantage.

We're leaving on our cruise tomorrow and will have a wonderful time!

PS - The bank automatically took a percentage to cancel the transaction. I called the bank and they refunded the difference to me as good will.

Definitely contact your credit card bank. It doesn't matter that it was not their mistake. Challenge the charge and they will follow up on it.

I don't know about Australia but in the US, if you challenge a charge, it is put in a 'hold' bucket. No interest is accrued on it and you don't have to pay it until the situation is resolved.

Definitely contact your credit card bank. It doesn't matter that it was not their mistake. Challenge the charge and they will follow up on it.

I don't know about Australia but in the US, if you challenge a charge, it is put in a 'hold' bucket. No interest is accrued on it and you don't have to pay it until the situation is resolved.

Same in Australia. :)