Free Style Dining

neilkear

I will be cruising the Breakaway out of NYC in Oct. and I am going solo but not in the solo area so I have no access to the solo lounge. While I am not anti social I don't really want to be pushed to a table with a bunch of strangers either. There are plenty of restaurant options on board the Breakaway but I wonder will I have a problem getting seating for one? Any insight would be appreciated.

While no experience on the Breakaway I have sailed solo on the Getaway three times so far with a fourth coming up. I never have any trouble getting tables alone, in fact I don't believe that NCL has ever even asked if I want to sit with someone. I just ask for a table for one, and that is what I get.

I will be cruising the Breakaway out of NYC in Oct. and I am going solo but not in the solo area so I have no access to the solo lounge. While I am not anti social I don't really want to be pushed to a table with a bunch of strangers either. There are plenty of restaurant options on board the Breakaway but I wonder will I have a problem getting seating for one? Any insight would be appreciated.

Please note that you don't have to be in a Studio cabin to socialize in the Studio Lounge. When I was on the Escape the solo coordinator propped open the door at 4:45pm every day so all solos could attend. The solo meeting was at 5pm every day and at 5:30 for those that wanted to eat together went to the dining room. Those that didn't just went on their way.

NCL (at least on Getaway) has moved the solo meeting out of the studio lounge and into one of the bars.

That is very strange. Was it because there were so many people and they didn't all fit in the lounge?

Please note that you don't have to be in a Studio cabin to socialize in the Studio Lounge. When I was on the Escape the solo coordinator propped open the door at 4:45pm every day so all solos could attend. The solo meeting was at 5pm every day and at 5:30 for those that wanted to eat together went to the dining room. Those that didn't just went on their way.

My trips were over two years and one year ago, but I did solos with an inside cabin (not the solo cabin) and I had no problem getting to use the solo lounge either or joining the groups for meals.

The only problem, was one girl was travelling in a solo room and the rest of her family thought that meant they could raid the solo lounge for food and drinks. They were corrected by the second day they did that.

I recently sailed the Breakaway and there is no problem at all getting a single table. I ate at almost all of the specialties, O'Sheehan's (great for breakfast by the way), the noodle bar and the buffet. Never a problem getting seated, even if I arrived early for reservations. Great service all around as well.

That is very strange. Was it because there were so many people and they didn't all fit in the lounge?

I have no idea about the why, I just know that it was never in the lounge. I must admit that the lounge is tiny, and that may be the reason.