Difference Between Priority Check-In vs. Priority Boarding

RussAnne

Princess Cruise Couple Question

1. What’s the difference between Priority Check-in on embarkation day vs. Priority Boarding?
  2. Do we need to board at the time listed for our level (Baja), or is the time just a suggestion?
  3. What is the best time to board to avoid minimal waiting and yet still enjoy the afternoon prior to leaving the dock?

Priority check in means there are separate check in agents for Platinum/Elite/Suite guests. But depending on the numbers, not necessarily faster.

Priority boarding means that if you should arrive after check has started but before boarding has, you will be assigned a lower number boarding group. As most ports this is only for Elite and Full Suite pax (not Platinum) who may have a separate post check in waiting area as well.

The staggered boarding times you are e-mailed will always and forever be just a suggestion. If you do have priority you will be accommodated as such no matter what time you arrive.

As for best time to arrive, knowing which embarkation port would be helpful. Could be best to arrive before 10:30 so that you will have minimal wait once boarding has started. Or after 1:30 when check in will be a relative breeze. Again which of the two is better can vary by port and itinerary (and by what time the previous cruise is scheduled to begin disembarkation, which could be as early as 6:30 or as late as 8:00 or even later).

Priority check in means there are separate check in agents for Platinum/Elite/Suite guests. But depending on the numbers, not necessarily faster.

Priority boarding means that if you should arrive after check has started but before boarding has, you will be assigned a lower number boarding group. As most ports this is only for Elite and Full Suite pax (not Platinum) who may have a separate post check in waiting area as well.

The staggered boarding times you are e-mailed will always and forever be just a suggestion. If you do have priority you will be accommodated as such no matter what time you arrive.

As for best time to arrive, knowing which embarkation port would be helpful. Could be best to arrive before 10:30 so that you will have minimal wait once boarding has started. Or after 1:30 when check in will be a relative breeze. Again which of the two is better can vary by port and itinerary (and by what time the previous cruise is scheduled to begin disembarkation, which could be as early as 6:30 or as late as 8:00 or even later).

Club Class at San Pedro (LA) last Oct also got a Priority boarding slip at check-in.

Princess Cruise Couple Question

1. What’s the difference between Priority Check-in on embarkation day vs. Priority Boarding?
  2. Do we need to board at the time listed for our level (Baja), or is the time just a suggestion?
  3. What is the best time to board to avoid minimal waiting and yet still enjoy the afternoon prior to leaving the dock?

You have different lines.

Full suite has both priority check in and priority boarding.

Priority check in--you get to use the priority line. May or may not be shorter than the standard line depending on how many Elites are on your cruise.

Priority boarding--you get to board before standard boarding starts if you are at port and checked in at that time. If you check in after the standard boarding has started, you go to the head of the line.

If you arrive at the "suggested time," you haven't been reading enough on these boards.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, gakawgirl said:

we will be on the Sunshine tomorrow in an Ocean Suite. If I am reading all this correctly we should be able to board whenever we arrive and go to our cabin. we have checked in online. not a new cruiser but has been awhile. thanks for any input.

FYI...You use to be able to go to your stateroom right away but I’m aware that their has been delays in going to your stateroom when you board. I was on a BVE on the Grand Recently & around 1:30 pm they announced that the staterooms were available. We did walk into some staterooms just to look so perhaps you could drop off a carryon bag. 

Tom😎

On 9/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, fishywood said:

As for best time to arrive, knowing which embarkation port would be helpful. Could be best to arrive before 10:30 so that you will have minimal wait once boarding has started. 

Thoughts on the best early arrival time at Port Everglades for full suite boarding on the CB later this month (Terminal 2 I'm told)?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, fishywood said:

Priority boarding means that if you should arrive after check has started but before boarding has, you will be assigned a lower number boarding group. As most ports this is only for Elite and Full Suite pax (not Platinum)who may have a separate post check in waiting area as well.

I have just become Platinum and will be sailing as Platinum for the first time next Spring.  The above quote that Platinum does not get "Priority Boarding" but Elite does has me somewhat confused.  I want to review what I have read and hopefully get some clarification from the experiences of other Platinum pax.  Here are my concerns:

1.    I do not see anywhere on Princess' website the term "Priority Boarding."  According to the website, Platinum passengers enjoy "Priority Check-in."  Elite passengers enjoy the same "Priority Check-in" that Platinum passengers get.  There is no mention of "Priority Boarding" for Elites with the exception of "Priority Ship to Shore Embarkation" which is available only at tender ports.

2.    According to the website, Club Class Mini-Suite enjoys "Priority embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise."  Suites enjoy "all amenities of a Club Class Mini-Suite."  So Club Class Mini-Suites and Suites get "Priority embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise."  There is no mention of Priority Embarkation for Captain's Circle members, only "Priority Check-in."

So, it looks like Princess doesn't differentiate between Platinum and Elite as far as getting on board is concerned.  My question for other Platinum Members is do you usually get onto the ship earlier being a Platinum passenger, or do you just get into the terminal faster?  Most of my experience is at Ft Lauderdale - how does San Pedro handle Platinum Members?

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I have just become Platinum and will be sailing as Platinum for the first time next Spring.  The above quote that Platinum does not get "Priority Boarding" but Elite does has me somewhat confused.  I want to review what I have read and hopefully get some clarification from the experiences of other Platinum pax.  Here are my concerns:

1.    I do not see anywhere on Princess' website the term "Priority Boarding."  According to the website, Platinum passengers enjoy "Priority Check-in."  Elite passengers enjoy the same "Priority Check-in" that Platinum passengers get.  There is no mention of "Priority Boarding" for Elites with the exception of "Priority Ship to Shore Embarkation" which is available only at tender ports.

2.    According to the website, Club Class Mini-Suite enjoys "Priority embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise."  Suites enjoy "all amenities of a Club Class Mini-Suite."  So Club Class Mini-Suites and Suites get "Priority embarkation and disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise."  There is no mention of Priority Embarkation for Captain's Circle members, only "Priority Check-in."

So, it looks like Princess doesn't differentiate between Platinum and Elite as far as getting on board is concerned.  My question for other Platinum Members is do you usually get onto the ship earlier being a Platinum passenger, or do you just get into the terminal faster?  Most of my experience is at Ft Lauderdale - how does San Pedro handle Platinum Members?

San Pedro works the same as Ft. Lauderdale. Once checked in Full Suite, Elites, Club Class are shown to separate sections for waiting. Once boarding begins it goes quickly with those first, then platinum. If you arrive later you just check in and board quickly.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

San Pedro works the same as Ft. Lauderdale. Once checked in Full Suite, Elites, Club Class are shown to separate sections for waiting. Once boarding begins it goes quickly with those first, then platinum. If you arrive later you just check in and board quickly.

Per above, that's how it's always been for us. 

Seems those disabled go with or before  the first group.