Wine

Tweety2

I was looking at the pricing on a bottle of wine on board and boy is it high!! I know they cost more on the ship but this is really high for the low end wine. How much are the drinks, mixed drinks and wine?

Thanks,

Nancy

Of course it is high. That is why so many passengers choose the UBP when it is a perk. By the glass wine is about the same of any cruise line as it is at your neighborhood favorite drinking hole. Mixed drinks on the ship will run between $8.00 and $15 depending on what you are drinking. The top of the line drinks can run a little more. This is one of the ways cruise lines make their money.

I bring a couple of bottles on board with me to enjoy in the evenings on the balcony and sometimes with dinner. The wine I purchase at home the cost run is mid-range for me $14-$25 and the addition of the $15 corkage fee works for me as I have the wine I enjoy. We usually have the unlimited beverage with the exception of recent POA but I am not a true fan of the wines offered. I do not turn down the free Platinum bottle ;)

On our recent NCL cruise to the Norwegian Fjords we brought on board some bottles of fairly good champagne for which we expected to pay corkage, though it wasn't charged (possibly an oversight?).

Our UK booking included the UBP. We drank the upper end wines available by the glass, paying between $2.50 and $7.50 extra plus service. However, the wines aboard weren't of the standard we would expect ashore for the same total price.

We knew beforehand that the wines would be expensive, but didn't know the size of the glass. Ashore, in a bar or restaurant I generally expect that for a 150ml pour five glasses would equate to the bottle price plus around 10-15%. However, from memory the $66 dollar a bottle wine was $22.50 a glass, and the $45 dollar a bottle wine was $17.50 a glass, all excluding service charge. Therefore if my memory is correct (and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I am wrong) five glasses of the former totals $112.50 and the latter $87.50, which would be truly extortionate without the UBP.

Of course, having the UBP included in our booking means that it is difficult to make a true comparison.

you are right. I think some do not buy enough wine at places like hotels and up scale restaurants to realize how expensive wine can be. :rolleyes:
You dont have to be rude about it.

It still is expensive, just not out of line with some nicer hotel bars, or fine dining, particularly on a large city.

Not everyone lives in Miami or NYC.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You dont have to be rude about it.

It still is expensive, just not out of line with some nicer hotel bars, or fine dining, particularly on a large city.

Not everyone lives in Miami or NYC.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I live in NJ, a glass of cheap wine is around $8/$10 in an average bar or restaurant, you could buy the bottle for $7 in a liquor store.

Don't forget about the onboard wine packages. I don't remember exactly what they are called (I think viva vino) and you can get several I think 6, 8 or 10 bottles of wine for about $22 a bottle. That's cheaper than trying to bring on your own cheap wine and pay the corkage fee, and saves you from paying a fortune for several glasses of the same wine.

Don't forget about the onboard wine packages. I don't remember exactly what they are called (I think viva vino) and you can get several I think 6, 8 or 10 bottles of wine for about $22 a bottle. That's cheaper than trying to bring on your own cheap wine and pay the corkage fee, and saves you from paying a fortune for several glasses of the same wine.

It’s more like $26 after the 20% service charge for wine you can buy for $6. I prefer to bring my own, but we drive to the port, so it’s easy.