People canceling last minute

cabincop

I have a TA for 9/29. I have arranged transfers to the port for 7 people. I have had 2couples cancel 1 cancelled today. One a week ago. This has never happened to me. In 56 cruises. I am now responsible for the fare. It went from splitting it 7 ways to 3. Has this happened before to anyone else? So close to sailing date? I don’t think I will do this again. At least 1 of the tours is prepaid with no refund. Not to mention we made dinner plans online which I now have to amend. Any suggestions on how to deal with this now, or in future? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a TA for 9/29. I have arranged transfers to the port for 7 people. I have had 2couples cancel 1 cancelled today. One a week ago. This has never happened to me. In 56 cruises. I am now responsible for the fare. It went from splitting it 7 ways to 3. Has this happened before to anyone else? So close to sailing date? I don’t think I will do this again. At least 1 of the tours is prepaid with no refund. Not to mention we made dinner plans online which I now have to amend. Any suggestions on how to deal with this now, or in future? Thanks

Hi Maria, I'm so sorry this has happened to you when the cruise is so close you can almost taste. It did happen to me once, I'd organized the tour, paid the downpayment and ended up pay the rest since everyone else was reluctant to pay. Fortunately, when I asked others to join, some did, end of story, no money lost.

In your case, I totally agree with BT, they booked, you agreed in good faith, they are responsible and they need to pay.

In the future, if I were to do this again, I would have each person/couple agree to the terms of payment. They cancel, they pay.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise, I know you've been looking forward to it for a long time.

cheers,

Connie

Enforce the cancellation penalties on those who cancelled. They should pay 100% of the cruise fare (less the taxes and port charges that will be refunded). I am not sure why you feel compelled to split it 3 ways.

I’m talking about transfers not the cruise. It’s hard to find people who need transfers 1 week before cruise. The transfer to port was originally booked with 7 people. It wasn’t prepaid. Now there is only 3 people splitting it

Hi Connie. I wish you were on this cruise. A lot of people are canceling maybe you could get a deal. And I think your right future cruises I will have them pre pay Even if it’s not necessary. And get info in case of cancellation and explain to him that there is a cancellation charge

If it is just the transfer you are talking about then call the transfer provider and ask them if you can use a smaller vehicle and if this is a reduction in cost.

If you are talking about the cruise then surely you are past final payment and they have paid the cruise line.

If you paid with the understanding that they would pay you for the cruise then I recommend you to take them to the small claims court.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

Hi Connie. I wish you were on this cruise. A lot of people are canceling maybe you could get a deal. And I think your right future cruises I will have them pre pay Even if it’s not necessary. And get info in case of cancellation and explain to him that there is a cancellation charge

I wish I could be there to hun, however, as things have turned out, I wouldn't have been able to cruise at this time as everything seems to have come to head just this week. I've been packing boxes like crazy in prep for moving soon. So a cruise would be totally out of the picture.

And Kerry in cork has a good suggestion and 1 that was offered to me as well though not needed as it turned out.

I wish you the best my dear and hope you really have a wonderful experience.

BTW, I have friends in Iceland this week and guess where they are staying.... Blue Lagoon. I'm hoping to hear back from them about their experience there. If I do, I'll post it to your RC.

Cheers,

Connie

I’m talking about transfers not the cruise. It’s hard to find people who need transfers 1 week before cruise. The transfer to port was originally booked with 7 people. It wasn’t prepaid. Now there is only 3 people splitting it

That is a crap situation to be left with. Stand up friends would offer to cover their share anyway.

The only thing I can think of in the future is maybe emailing everyone and make it clear the fare is based on number of passengers and if they cancel unfortunately payment will still be needed. If they don't pay then that is a sign you don't need them in your life.

Thankfully one couple is reimbursing me. They are a class act. But in future I need to protect myself

This is what everyone who cancelled on you should do. Regretfully, we have had to cancel plans to two sporting events. On both occasions we made sure the host never lost money on our account.

So am I understanding this right?.......You paid for everyone and they paid you?

If so, next time; When payments are due, invite everyone round to your house for a 'pre cruise party' or something similar. Already have each couple set up with an NCL account. Tell them to bring their credit card. Pull up each couples account and have them enter their CC info. Or call NCL/ travel agent with their CC info.

If they don't pay...They don't go.

On a tour booked in Ephesus a few years ago a few people did not show up and those of us already there were forced to cover their costs. We did not get the money back from the no-shows. I decided then that I would ask for payment ahead of the tour so I would not get stuck in the future. Too bad we have to do these kinds of things but with some people it is necessary.

So am I understanding this right?.......You paid for everyone and they paid you?

If so, next time; When payments are due, invite everyone round to your house for a 'pre cruise party' or something similar. Already have each couple set up with an NCL account. Tell them to bring their credit card. Pull up each couples account and have them enter their CC info. Or call NCL/ travel agent with their CC info.

If they don't pay...They don't go.

No, you're misinterpreting the info here. It has nothing to do with NCL, these are PRIVATE TOURS, not done through NCL.

I did write to transfer company they are not budging on cost of transfer. We had just confirmed last week & they said they would take credit cards. In the future I will explain it is pre pay.

Thank you Connie for the help. It’s just the transfer not the cruise. I had thought I explained it. Losing 1 couple a week ago was bad but then to lose another today. It’s kind of stressful but thank God they are reimbursing me

I travel with a small group of friends 1-2 times a year, and make all the arrangements. I tell them the arrangements, what the fee is, and let them know if they confirm they'd like to be a part of said arrangement (transfer, tour, whatever) they will pay at the time they confirm. Once they say, "yes, I want to take that tour" I then Venmo them the payment request. Any members who are new to my traveling group all need to get the Venmo app on their phone, makes everything easier. Especially things like a dinner for a group of 8 of us somewhere. I pay the bill, and each person Venmo's me their share.

Next up is Dubai in November for 8 of us. They have all already paid me for transfers from airport to hotel, and for desert safari, as well as other tours.

Edited by terry&mike
added text

This has happened several times on many cruises I have been on. One person organizes a trip/transfer, etc. Some people cancel at the last minute or don't show and the organizer (or other people in group) are having to pay. That is the main reason I don't organize these things.

The only thing you can do is set up a pay pal account and have people make payment to you or the company before the final pay day is due. If people make payment, they are less likely to cancel or not show up. Sorry this happened, enjoy your cruise!

If it wasn't pre-paid, then just cancel and arrange new transfer for the number of people who will be needing it.

GC

Thank you everyone. If I do this again I will make sure I am paid first. Like I said I’ve been on 56 cruises & organized many tours & transfer this is my first experience with late cancellation or cancellation period. Lesson learned. Now onto my cruise