Do you bring any of your own food/drink/spices to enhance your dining while onboard?

Epicureangirl

Hi fellow foodies,

other than the large amount of planning that goes into bringing alcohol onboard (you know who you are ;)), do any of you bring your own tea, spices, snacks or other food items onboard?

I am not talking about this as a money-saving measure, but just purely for enjoyment of your meals. There must be SOMEONE who is willing to admit to this. I like much of the food (on HAL), but I miss some things I take for granted at home that would make my meal just that much more enjoyable. Simple things that would be easy to take, like fresh-ground pepper, my favorite salt, or really good cinnamon. I've seriously been thinking about taking my little bottle of truffle oil with me -- I'm pretty sure that would elevate some of the pastas or perhaps I could add it to some mayo for my fries.

I hesitate on if I will actually do this as I don't want to be seen as fussy or make anyone uncomfortable. To be clear, I have no plans to whip out my assortment of spices at the Pinnacle Grill, but this might help me make that buffet food just that much more enjoyable. If I season my food discreetly, do you think it is okay to bring some with me? :rolleyes:

Mrs Gut always brings her own tea.

Saw one bloke bring on cartons of wine, because it was what he liked, that was Princess and cost him $10 (or $15) per bottle.

Met people a few times who bought on various condiments.

I have an autistic child with a very limited diet. I’ll be bringing most of his food with us because we can’t count on what will be available or if he’ll accept the different brands.

I’ll bring Diet Coke and some Mios to flavor my water plus a few snacks to bring to port. Nothing crazy though.

Hi fellow foodies,

other than the large amount of planning that goes into bringing alcohol onboard (you know who you are ;)), do any of you bring your own tea, spices, snacks or other food items onboard?

I am not talking about this as a money-saving measure, but just purely for enjoyment of your meals. There must be SOMEONE who is willing to admit to this. I like much of the food (on HAL), but I miss some things I take for granted at home that would make my meal just that much more enjoyable. Simple things that would be easy to take, like fresh-ground pepper, my favorite salt, or really good cinnamon. I've seriously been thinking about taking my little bottle of truffle oil with me -- I'm pretty sure that would elevate some of the pastas or perhaps I could add it to some mayo for my fries.

I hesitate on if I will actually do this as I don't want to be seen as fussy or make anyone uncomfortable. To be clear, I have no plans to whip out my assortment of spices at the Pinnacle Grill, but this might help me make that buffet food just that much more enjoyable. If I season my food discreetly, do you think it is okay to bring some with me? :rolleyes:

LOL. Oh heavens no! If I wanted home, I would stay there. I travel to experience different things, not to have what I’m used to.

But whatever floats your boat [emoji571]*♀️️[emoji925][emoji568][emoji924]🛶

Sent from my iPad using Forums

LOL. Oh heavens no! If I wanted home, I would stay there. I travel to experience different things, not to have what I’m used to.

But whatever floats your boat [emoji571]*♀️️[emoji925][emoji568][emoji924]🛶

I travel to experience different things too -- but they're usually found in the ports of call and not in the MDR or the Lido. ;) The MDR is fine most days but not ever giving me a new food experience, despite which HAL ship or itinerary I happen to be on. Sure is nice to have someone else cook for me though!

I have an autistic child with a very limited diet. I’ll be bringing most of his food with us because we can’t count on what will be available or if he’ll accept the different brands.

I’ll bring Diet Coke and some Mios to flavor my water plus a few snacks to bring to port. Nothing crazy though.

Definitely a lot more considerations when packing and traveling with children, but definitely worth the effort for a smooth trip. Those Mios look like the perfect size to take along -- great idea!

Bringing a jar of peanut butter + a box of regular & gluten free crackers -- emergency stash--especially when travelling with a celiac (21 yo, but still like to be prepared-- last cruise, she missed lunch one day, had to have peanut butter on an apple), cereal/snack bars (reg & gf -- for off ship snacks), & crystal light individual packets -- DH & one DD won't drink plain water.

We bring organic unsalted cashews and pecans and organic dried cranberries as a snack. I might also bring a jar of organic, unsalted, no sugar peanut butter wifh some rice cakes.

High protein snacks are important to me as I am a very particular eater and concerned with where food is sourced. I have far less control when traveling so bringing responsibly-sourced snacks helps out a bit.

. I have considered doing that (I like my coffee much bolder than what I can get onboard), but thought the clean-up of the grounds would be a little difficult with that tiny bathroom sink. ;)
You can use an aeropress that produces a firm puck which can easily be ejected. I use an empty pringles cylinder as a bin. You can also get a reusable stainless steel filter so clean up is easy :-)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Edited by andlep

You can use an aeropress that produces a firm puck which can easily be ejected. I use an empty pringles cylinder as a bin. You can also get a reusable stainless steel filter so clean up is easy :-)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

That's great. I've never seen that product before -- I will take a look for that locally. Cheers.

I definitely will be bringing a 12 pack of Diet Coke. I also cannot drink my coffee without my international French vanilla creamer so I will be bringing that. I also am packing a bottle of wine that was given to me for Christmas and that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These days jerky, nuts and other carb-controlled snacks as I'm diabetic - in case of delays while getting to/from cruise on on excursions, rather than because the ship can't feed me. I used to take my own maple syrup pre-diabetes, as it's all crappy flavoured syrups onboard any line we've sailed.

I'd suggest you take some too unless you never do pancake/waffle type brekkies, since as a Canadian with Epicurean in your handle OP I'd imagine you also know what the real stuff tastes like! As long as it's a sealed package you can take food onboard no problem - you can't take food back off the ship once it's been opened though, hence a small bottle/tin with enough for you to avoid wasting any. Or you could be nice to fellow pax at brekky and share;-)

These days jerky, nuts and other carb-controlled snacks as I'm diabetic - in case of delays while getting to/from cruise on on excursions, rather than because the ship can't feed me. I used to take my own maple syrup pre-diabetes, as it's all crappy flavoured syrups onboard any line we've sailed.

I'd suggest you take some too unless you never do pancake/waffle type brekkies, since as a Canadian with Epicurean in your handle OP I'd imagine you also know what the real stuff tastes like! As long as it's a sealed package you can take food onboard no problem - you can't take food back off the ship once it's been opened though, hence a small bottle/tin with enough for you to avoid wasting any. Or you could be nice to fellow pax at brekky and share;-)

I too was just diagnosed with type two diabetes and I love the Atkins bars and plan on bringing some with me on the airplane and have enough for the ship. I have pretty much learned what is low carb foods because my doctor doesn’t want me to get any more than 70 carbs a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You know me!!! :D You are so right, we always buy 'real' maple syrup and that would be a great addition to tuck in my luggage. That seems so strange that they wouldn't let me take my remaining syrup off the ship (since it isn't meat or has seeds etc.), but thanks for the tip. I'll pick up a new bottle before I go, I'm sure there will be no problem getting rid of it with some other 'new friends' at breakfast. (y)

Hi! My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in July & I'm so excited!!! We eat a pretty healthy high protein, low carb diet. So we plan to bring the stuff we snack on at home: Quest bars, nuts, rice cakes, jerky. I drink alot of hot tea, so will be bringing tea bags & splenda. Oh and we will be bringing our flavored drink packets for the water we've ordered for the cabin as we don't drink soda. Lastly, we are definitely wine drinkers...so will be bringing on 2 bottles and receiving a free bottle from the steakhouse!