Cellphone Roaming Caution

cltnccruisers

So it is possible to receive texts in airplane mode without operator/user error.

You don't get it. The non SMS texts received with WiFi turned on in Airplane Mode will not incur any cellular text charges or cellular data charges. It can be confusing and that is why some of the operator/user error occurs.To some an iMessage text appears to be the same thing as an SMS text but they are not. It can be difficult for some to grasp what is cellular roaming and what is not.

Actually, I just disabled AM as a test now and it totally disabled Cellular. So the moral of the story may be to just forget we have kids while we're cruising. :D

I know I’m going to look stupid, but what is AM?

And you can actually get hit with roaming charges in the US.

We were driving through El Paso on I 10 and I used my iPhone. Next month got a big bill. My calls went through a Mexican cell tower instead of US.

Mexico is literally right alongside the interstate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know I’m going to look stupid, but what is AM?

And you can actually get hit with roaming charges in the US.

We were driving through El Paso on I 10 and I used my iPhone. Next month got a big bill. My calls went through a Mexican cell tower instead of US.

Mexico is literally right alongside the interstate.

OP was referring to Airplane Mode. Never saw it abbreviated like that before....

That happens sometimes on Alaska cruises. In some ports along the inside passage, Canadian cell towers can be picked up. You can probably talk your carrier into dropping those charges.

OP was referring to Airplane Mode. Never saw it abbreviated like that before....

That happens sometimes on Alaska cruises. In some ports along the inside passage, Canadian cell towers can be picked up. You can probably talk your carrier into dropping those charges.

In my case, they split the charge 50/50 because my carrier had to pay the Mexican company. I wonder if the people in El Paso have an understood no cell phone zone to avoid the problem or their plans are set up to cover the problem.

The charge wasn’t much, but I sure thought it was interesting.

I wonder if the people in El Paso have an understood no cell phone zone to avoid the problem or their plans are set up to cover the problem.

The problem would be with potential voice and text roaming charges as with the default data roaming off there would be no data roaming. They might just make sure they were on their US carrier before making a voice call or text. Or they could have their carrier turn off International roaming. AT&T used to have that option, I haven’t checked lately if they still do, but maybe the carriers will do that in border areas. If people cross the border frequently, a lot of people in border areas do, they might actually want Mexico roaming, people might be on plans that include Mexico. My AT&T plan has North America roam which includes Mexico and Canada.

I have used the $10 for an international day pass on AT&T for one day on a cruise just to talk with my family. Some Celebrity ships you can use your phone with a $100 plan for cellular at sea for texting and calls. May be worthwhile in some circumstances or back to back cruisers (last for 30 days). I will use next year for my 15 Day Panama Canal cruise since I am going without hubby or kids and hubby prefers to pay for this so they can get in touch with me since I have an apple phone and he has samsung the wifi texts do not go through.