St. John non cruise ship

Jules7226

My hubby and I have been to STT several times, but never have been to St. Johns. We'd rather not pay the outrageous cruise tour prices. I know that you can take the ferry at Red Hook to Cruz Bay. Looking for people who have done this recently and can report on 1 - the cost of a round trip ride and 2 - what kind of shape are the beaches of St. John in after last year's devastation. Also - looking for recommendations on a place to find good lunch and drinks. Thanks for your help!

We were at Trunk Bay on May 20th. The beach was absolutely gorgeous as always.

The trees and woods that used to surround the walkway and bathroom area are pretty much gone. :( The sea grapes and palm trees backing the beach don't have much in the way of leaves, so there's not much shade to speak of.

But the beach is still wide, and while we were there we saw a couple of sting rays, a good-sized crab, and lots of tiny fish.

When we arrived, I was lamenting that I had accidentally left my National Park pass back on the ship, and the ranger at the entrance said I didn't need it, that there was no charge. So if you have one, your pass will work here if needed.

The snack bar is not running, but the chair and snorkel rental is. The showers are working, cold water only.

When we were there, the ferry from Havensight was not running. But the vinow site can tell you all that.

Have fun!dd185b22c83ccbfade7535a1eac96bda.jpg409cd2b6e1dde551a0ef33d5a34786da.jpgb9e996b4568612e639f251cbbf21124b.jpg057b1f2d5348bfc7c4f39d8013b4760f.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Just saw that you (the OP) also asked where to get some lunch. We had our taxi driver drop us at Mongoose Junction on the way back to the ferry dock. Several restaurants are open and it's an easy 5-10 minute walk to the ferry from there. We got sandwiches and smoothies from the North Shore Deli... Very delicious!

• 3 weeks later...
We were at Trunk Bay on May 20th. The beach was absolutely gorgeous as always.

The trees and woods that used to surround the walkway and bathroom area are pretty much gone. :( The sea grapes and palm trees backing the beach don't have much in the way of leaves, so there's not much shade to speak of.

But the beach is still wide, and while we were there we saw a couple of sting rays, a good-sized crab, and lots of tiny fish.

When we arrived, I was lamenting that I had accidentally left my National Park pass back on the ship, and the ranger at the entrance said I didn't need it, that there was no charge. So if you have one, your pass will work here if needed.

The snack bar is not running, but the chair and snorkel rental is. The showers are working, cold water only.

When we were there, the ferry from Havensight was not running. But the vinow site can tell you all that.

Have fun!dd185b22c83ccbfade7535a1eac96bda.jpg409cd2b6e1dde551a0ef33d5a34786da.jpgb9e996b4568612e639f251cbbf21124b.jpg057b1f2d5348bfc7c4f39d8013b4760f.jpg

Thanks for the info and awesome pics!

• 2 weeks later...