Etna or Taormina?

cruisecouple94

Have done both. First time we did Etna and Taormina, the second time just Taormina.

If you've seen a volcano in Hawaii, check that off of your bucket list and spend the day in Taormina. There isn't much to do on Etna, besides walking around the crater, and visiting the small gift shop. And it can be really cold (elevation)! Also, the bus ride to Etna takes a bit of time, time that I'd rather spend in Taormina.

I respectfully disagree about Etna had a different experience. I did both Etna and Taormina on a private tour. I do not think Etna looked like or felt like volcanos in Hawaii, where I actually walked on hot lava while the volcano was active. I enjoyed going to Etna. I think it is very doable to do both if you plan the day well.

Hmmm...I guess I must have gone up to the top of a different Mt. Etna. Don’t understand all these “not worth it” comments as I found it to be one of the most spectacular things I’ve ever done. We went to the summit on our tour though. I think most people go to one of the levels further down. The Celebrity excursions to Etna will not take you to the top though that I’m aware of. You will need to book a private tour like we did. We used Etna Finder for the half day Etna 3000 meter tour. http://www.etnafinder.com We had a fantastic guide and it was a cool experience being up among the clouds walking along a lunar like landscape and on top of 3 week old freshly cooled lava beds (the volcano was erupting while we were up there). Photos are below. Taormina is wonderful too but I would do either or not both. And if you do Taormina take other’s advice and do the private taxi or tour; the Celebrity excursions don’t give you long enough in town.f0770712c9a71aa7956df8ddd8cb7836.jpgf299e31f6aaeb1a34a9a08ea64698d96.jpgae1412252aadadadcecc7f40eacab9d8.jpgf38fdc43fca62ce498e025d75666f139.jpg94e4daae934de817359004b244bbcb03.jpgb0bd644540133dd978e86b4808b2fd86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We can highly recommend Taormina. Have been there a few times and always enjoy it.

Here´s a link to a review, or better the day in Taormina, which might give you some ideas: http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Holy-Land-Cruise-01/Holy-Land-Cruise-02/holy-land-cruise-02.html

Enjoy!

While reading your link, your pictures were so beautiful as well and I was wondering what type of camera and lens you used. However, as I followed on and came to your review on Jerusalem...I was in tears. It was so touching to hear the prayers at where Jesus had been. I am truly a believer, and I did get chills as well hearing and seeing these places. I just wanted to thank you so much for posting this. We are going on a 10 day Italy/Greece and Malt this fall, but we don't stop there. It is on my bucket list still....and on top due to your post. Thanks again so very much..truly the best post I have ever read....and I have read many!!

Renee

Taormina has one of the most beautiful Greek theaters anywhere with the amazing ocean view and Mt Etna view as well. Maybe you don't get that with a quick stop on a Godfather tour, but it's a pretty cool place and worth the 10 euro cost of admission.

Others have said that if you have seen one volcano you have seen them all, we have been fortunate enough to see a lot of Greek and Roman amphitheaters around Europe so seeing another one was not high on our list. We did love seeing the architecture around the town, we did stop into the public gardens but they were in deep shade then so we moved on. Our trip up to Savoca, over to Taromina and on to Castelmola was filled with amazing views and we made several stops along way to get out and enjoy the views. Our lunch stop in Castelmola was on a porch that had an amazing view of Mt. Etna so now it is time for us to see it up close. It is all personal preference.

We have one day in Sicily - docking in Messina. I have read multiple reviews of shore excursions and my question is:

Should we do Mt. Etna and Taormina excursion or just the Taormina on Your Own excursion? From what I have read, both are great places to visit but I am concerned that Etna will be more time consuming and may cost us time in Taormina which I really, really want to see. Have seen volcanoes on Maui and the Big Island...is this really worth the trip and cost to do Etna? Thanks for ANY advice you can give!

We did Taormina and Castelmola tour with http://www.sicilywithmario.com/ it was wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While reading your link, your pictures were so beautiful as well and I was wondering what type of camera and lens you used. However, as I followed on and came to your review on Jerusalem...I was in tears. It was so touching to hear the prayers at where Jesus had been. I am truly a believer, and I did get chills as well hearing and seeing these places. I just wanted to thank you so much for posting this. We are going on a 10 day Italy/Greece and Malt this fall, but we don't stop there. It is on my bucket list still....and on top due to your post. Thanks again so very much..truly the best post I have ever read....and I have read many!!

Renee

Thank you !!!

It was one of our best cruises for sure.

The camera is a Canon 70D.

Oliver

One other word of advice, if you buy something expensive in Taromina and want to get your VAT back at the airport, do not put the "goods" in your checked bag, check in and then go to the VAT refund window. We made that mistake in Barcelona last year and "No Goods, No Refund".......

Great tip...thanks!