Should carnival have soda bars

geckoaz

We brought a 12 pack per person and didn't purchase the bb plan. We did buy soda to drink at dinner in the MDR and they poured hot can of soda over a full glass of ice, no tilt, which caused flat, watered down soda at $2.50 + 15% grat. The best way for us to go is to bring our yeti cups and soda and get ice on lido.

Tips included, don't worry about it. If the drink package makes it easy and cheaper, get it. I never tip extra. I already think 15% is too much, and certainly will not tip more. If it takes 20 minutes to get a soda, than that person is pulling your leg. Never had that happen, and the bartender will not know if you a soda person or a high end drink person.

They will when a kid at the age of 10-13 comes walking up.

Also, I do not believe kids wait 20mins everytime, but to believe that making kids wait does happen (probably due to tip amount). One experience I had walking up to the pool bar on the Lido was this. I was on the other side of the pool, and I noticed 2 adult people getting drinks and one kid waiting. The couple was getting their fruity concoctions handed to them right as I walked up to the bar. The bartender had to walk by me to get to the one waiting kid. However, he did not walk by me instead he says "what can I get you?" I was like "that kid was first", the bartender proceeds to tell me "he is just a kid getting a pop, your first":confused:. I let him know that in my book its first come first served, and its not right to leave the kid hanging just because he is only getting a pop. So to the OP there maybe some truth to his post, but also think it was not as bad as they made it seem. When your on a ship with 3,000+ PAX, $h!t, I mean lines happen.

If the can is already open that is what they use - because some drinks do not use the whole can so they save what is left for the next person

I understand for Bubbles they do this, but the poster said they don't purchase Bubbles and their ginger ale was flat. I thought if you were paying individually for a drink that you got the whole can.

At Red Frog Pub (not sure about the Rum Bar) they sell Ting, a grapefruit based soft drink. I don't remember if it was cans or bottles, but I did get the entire container. The server was confused that I wanted just the Ting since I'd been drinking alcohol based drinks earlier and at first assumed I wanted it mixed with something (they offer some mixed drinks with it too). I don't remember it being warm or flat so you might want to try it for something different. (I'm not sure if it's covered by Bubbles, but would be under Cheers.)

RCI & HAL Freestyle machines rock. RFID is no issue. I have noticed a wait at bars for kids for soda not so for adults because they don't know what you're ordering.

Never a long wait in a line for those?

I'm sure there are but most times about 3 people in line. Lines can get longer in the beginning of the cruise when somebody who has never used the machines before has to figure it out and look at the 200+ choices.

Bill

The machines are limited in number. I've rarely had someone in front of me. Would be nice if they had more machines but you can get unlimited soda from any bar as well.

So every time my son wants a coke he has to go wait in line at a bar and then sign a receipt and leave a tip?? I thought the gratuity was added in. At least on the website it says it is adding a gratuity (don’t remember how much)

What about at dinner in the MDR? Can they just ask the waiter for a coke or will they (husband and son) need to visit a bar before going to MDR?

I have never purchased any drink package before and I was considering it this time, now not so sure.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. Don't worry. The first time we had BB, my youngest was ten. He got sodas ALL the time. He signed his initials and at the end of the cruise we gave his favorite bar waiters an extra tip. He seriously had waiters searching him out in the showrooms etc. Many of them miss their kids and dote on the ones on the ship if they are nice kids.

Your waiters will take good care of you at dinner.

We brought a 12 pack per person and didn't purchase the bb plan. We did buy soda to drink at dinner in the MDR and they poured hot can of soda over a full glass of ice, no tilt, which caused flat, watered down soda at $2.50 + 15% grat. The best way for us to go is to bring our yeti cups and soda and get ice on lido.

Does it have to be in cans or could I bring bottles? I dislike soda out of cans (but would drink it in a pinch).

Does it have to be in cans or could I bring bottles? I dislike soda out of cans (but would drink it in a pinch).

No bottles, only cans. Too many people were bringing bottles and pouring them out and putting liquor in them. So now they only allow cans brought on board.

Only cans, bottles are not permitted to be brought on-board.

I’d love to know why Carnival is so far behind when it comes to freestyle machines. Why in the world do they want to deal with all those cans? And making the bartenders serve. They would probably get way more people to buy the program if they had the machine, as it’s a pain to ask for a soda every time. And a machine would be less expensive for them over cans.

I’d love to know why Carnival is so far behind when it comes to freestyle machines. Why in the world do they want to deal with all those cans? And making the bartenders serve. They would probably get way more people to buy the program if they had the machine, as it’s a pain to ask for a soda every time. And a machine would be less expensive for them over cans.

If I had to take a shot in the dark, it's probably a cost savings. A freestyle coke machine that is easily accessible probably means more trips which equals more waste, and more sharing.

If they upgraded to the freestyle machines for my upcoming cruise, I would immediately buy the bottomless bubbles package. The way it currently is I'll stick with bringing my own 12-packs on board.

Because the freestyle machines need more maintenance, more cleaning, canisters of CO2 that need to be stored.

My kids have never had an issue getting a soda, the red frog bar by the pool is always the longest wait for them and I assume it's because we don't drink much from there. The bartenders usually get to know them because they are usually with us. We always try to be friendly and we do tip extra. The bartenders serve my kids quickly and sometimes dont give them a receipt to sign. My little one likes to sign, she feels 'grown up'. The bartenders we get to know give my kids extra fruit slices, etc and are always very nice to the kids. I tell the kids to add a dollar or two every few sodas to the tip line. I dont know if it makes a difference in future service from them. I do it to say thanks for the great service we have already received.

Perhaps they will when RCI/Celebrity's 10 or 15 year cruise industry exclusivity clause is over. Or maybe they will switch brands and use Pepsi's version of the Freestyle dispenser.

Perhaps they will when RCI/Celebrity's 10 or 15 year cruise industry exclusivity clause is over. Or maybe they will switch brands and use Pepsi's version of the Freestyle dispenser.

Are you joking or serious about the clause? Did/does it really exist? Because HAL ( a Carnival brand) has Freestyle machines on some of their ships.

On the breeze i had the bubbles plan.It was a pain going to a bar for soda. But what irked me was that kids had to go to the bars on places like lido desk. Maybr time to open a soda bar only stand in lido buffet.

Stop dreaming.

If they upgraded to the freestyle machines for my upcoming cruise, I would immediately buy the bottomless bubbles package. The way it currently is I'll stick with bringing my own 12-packs on board.

Same here, I would get it for all 6 kids. I planned on it originally until someone told me to check out this site and I started realizing from reading these threads that it wasn't fountain drinks, they get warm cans.

Same here, I would get it for all 6 kids. I planned on it originally until someone told me to check out this site and I started realizing from reading these threads that it wasn't fountain drinks, they get warm cans.
You mean 1/2 to 2/3 of a warm can. You do not get the whole can.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

"Exclusive to RCI/Celebrity". Not so, HAL has them, so not sure why Carnival couldn't?