Tour guide tipping

agee23

Can anyone tell me how much should a tour guide be tipped in Cuba? We are a group of 10 on a full day private tour. Thank you

I think the tours are covered by the automatic tipping that you pay while on board I think it’s called the DSC or something... I don’t recall anyone on prior excursions tipping cash after a tour... but there was 1 time when we took a water taxi somewhere and the skipper was helping people up from the boat to the concreate dock and people were putting a few dollars in his hat... he also took us around to all the ocean front mansions that the stars live in and told us funny stories about them

Tours are NOT covered by the DSC,....only your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiter and head waiter (and those who assist them) get those tips.

Tour tips are at your discretion....if it's a good tour, tip....if it's not...don't. You will know if a tip should be offered. If you decide to tip, $5-10 is ample. You need to remember, these folks do get PAID to take you around....and they aren't "service" folks like waiters and stewards.....

Tours are NOT covered by the DSC,....only your cabin attendant, waiters, ass't waiter and head waiter (and those who assist them) get those tips.

Tour tips are at your discretion....if it's a good tour, tip....if it's not...don't. You will know if a tip should be offered. If you decide to tip, $5-10 is ample. You need to remember, these folks do get PAID to take you around....and they aren't "service" folks like waiters and stewards.....

Agree. Now that you think about it she is right... the DSC must be only for those actually on the ship...

Can anyone tell me how much should a tour guide be tipped in Cuba? We are a group of 10 on a full day private tour. Thank you

I Googled "Tipping in Cuba". Below is a link for one of the sources that popped-up.

(By the way, I also looked up the CUC exchange rate... currently equal to USD!)

https://cubaexplorer.com/tipping-and-gratuities-in-cuba/

DH & I usually tip an absolute minimum of 10% (normally more) of the overall cost of our excursions. If took a PRIVATE tour, such as you have booked, we'd tip more like 15% to 20%, depending on the overall services provided for the day! (If you pay per person, then tip per person, if FLAT RATE, then tip on that full flat rate).

As to the previous reply regarding DSC... DSC have absolutely nothing to do with excursions taken at ports of call, cruise personnel only benefit from DSC.

I Googled "Tipping in Cuba". Below is a link for one of the sources that popped-up.

(By the way, I also looked up the CUC exchange rate... currently equal to USD!)

https://cubaexplorer.com/tipping-and-gratuities-in-cuba/

DH & I usually tip an absolute minimum of 10% (normally more) of the overall cost of our excursions. If took a PRIVATE tour, such as you have booked, we'd tip more like 15% to 20%, depending on the overall services provided for the day! (If you pay per person, then tip per person, if FLAT RATE, then tip on that full flat rate).

Best bet is to actually google tipping guides in the specific countries you are visiting, as you suggested, rather thank sticking with a strict 10% minimum. We just returned from sailing on the Epic through the Mediterranean and found that 10% was way too much. Taxi drivers acted like we were rich movie stars if you gave them more than 1-2 euros. We were a group of 3, so for our group excursions usually gave the guide 5-10 euros for the 3 of us, depending on how good they were and that was always received with big surprised eyes. I've got no experience with Cuba so can't help on that end, but Europe is vastly different with tipping etiquette than the US, so I would image Cuba would be different as well.

Tipping is for the most part strictly a US custom. There is no need to tip, but if you insist then $5 per person for a full day tour is more than enough except in the US.

What is the standard tip that is customary to give the driver if warranted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Whatever you think you should give. The whole point is that there is no standard or recommended amount. One person will come here and say $50 and the next will say $3.75, both will swear that the other is tipping absurdly. Pick an amount and give it. Trust me the driver will not turn it down.

What is the standard tip that is customary to give the driver if warranted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is no such thing as a standard. Tipping is a personal expense that is customary in the US. If you want to give a person in another country a tip then give them whatever makes you comfortable.

We have done land trips to Cuba and I can say that our tips were usually 10-15% of the value of the tour. They were always graciously received and we felt like we were expressing our gratitude appropriately.

We also left a dollar or two on the table at each meal at our resort, as we were travelling with young children (5 and 2 yrs) who were not the tidiest eaters. We saw the staff arguing over who would serve us (!) and at the end of the week they told us we tipped them about 100% of their weekly salary. Needless to say we were floored and they were very grateful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as a standard. Tipping is a personal expense that is customary in the US. If you want to give a person in another country a tip then give them whatever makes you comfortable.

While I completely agree with you and Maniacal, you are missing where the posters are coming from. They are use to tipping, they want to tip, but they want some guidance on how much. What is too much, what is too little. They want it made easy instead of having to think about it, which I completely understand and agree with. After all, why do we tip restaurant servers 15%, 18%, or 20%? Because someone told us to? I remember when 10% was considered just fine for a tip in a restaurant, then it went to 15% and now 20% seems to be the new norm. Why did it change?

Of course that is the whole problem with tipping, particularly as a primary source of income, but that is a whole other topic.

Cuba is desperately short of pencils, and paracetamol. They are worth more than any financial tip, we gave our supply to a virgin representative that lived away from the tourist areas, he assured us that the people in need would receive them, and not the bar, hotel staff that get tipped a fortune in his terms. Cuba is a country of two worlds, the service sector and the poor.

While I completely agree with you and Maniacal, you are missing where the posters are coming from. They are use to tipping, they want to tip, but they want some guidance on how much. What is too much, what is too little. They want it made easy instead of having to think about it, which I completely understand and agree with. After all, why do we tip restaurant servers 15%, 18%, or 20%? Because someone told us to? I remember when 10% was considered just fine for a tip in a restaurant, then it went to 15% and now 20% seems to be the new norm. Why did it change?

Of course that is the whole problem with tipping, particularly as a primary source of income, but that is a whole other topic.

I have dined out four times over the last week. I left a tip anywhere from 0% to 62%. Some service was excellent, some was so poor that I would not even call it service. I tip based on this service received not on what someone else thinks is appropriate. BTW tipping is NEVER a primary source of income, but as you say that is a whole other topic. :)

Cuba is desperately short of pencils, and paracetamol. They are worth more than any financial tip, we gave our supply to a virgin representative that lived away from the tourist areas, he assured us that the people in need would receive them, and not the bar, hotel staff that get tipped a fortune in his terms. Cuba is a country of two worlds, the service sector and the poor.

Excuse me for asking but how did you know he was a virgin? :confused: