Silver Spirit en route to NYC Days 1-3

Magor2015

We’re on the cruise demo London Tilbury Docks to NYC. Our first time on Silverseas. General comments that I hope are useful to future travelers.

Embarkation was a breeze. Arrived at 2pm, no crowds, no waiting, straight on board and the suite was ready.

Suite is nice and spacious. Plenty of storage. Interior design is “simple and beige” so maybe not to everyone’s taste but no complaints. Big walk in shower, lots of water pressure. Stray hair in bathtub was not good though. Bed linen had small holes so somebody is not checking!

Staff and service. Very efficient as you would expect from a premium cruise line. My only negative is that quite of a few of the staff do not appear friendly even when greeted. It’s more than just the odd person here and there, it seems more widespread. Not a patch on our experience with Seabourn where on a 3 week cruise there were probably only 2 or 3 crew who seemed a bit dour. We exceeded that number within a couple of hours of being on board Silversea.

Food so far. Generally pretty good. We’re both foodies. La Dame was a disappointment. Lovely presentation and top flight ingredients but lacking in the wow factor that justifies a $60 charge. E.g mushroom veloute presentation was beautiful but taste was mild mushroom tasting cream, soufflé dessert was basically sweet baked eggs, not even close to a soufflé, wines were nice and good range. Turbot was outstanding. A dinner in Atlantide was just as good and with a nicer ambience. Indochine was pretty good with some proper spices, Indian inspired dishes, e.g aloo Gobi, lamb rogan josh are better than the Chinese inspired dishes. Buffets for breakfast and lunch again compare poorly with Seabourn who had much better choice even though on a smaller ship.

Entertainment. Average so far. Yes, there are speakers but not appealing to us. Personal taste I know so don’t read too much into our opinion. Beyond bridge lessons there is little diversity. Again, compares poorly with Seabourn who offered art classes, etc even on a smaller ship. Hoping it improves over coming days. Live show on 2nd night was a tenor and soprano combo. Both ok individual singers but they didn’t sound great together (to our ears and perhaps limited knowledge of opera). Production and staging of their show was abysmal and was limited to projecting a few photographs onto side screens. Unbelievably, there is no drinks service in the theatre. Reason given is that there is “no room for the staff to move within the seats”. To make matters worse, there isn’t even a convenient bar at the back and the closest one is in Dolce Vita. Terrible design. First cruise I have ever been on where I could not order a drink from my seat and/or within the theatre. Just plain stoopid!

Haven’t eaten in all the restaurants yet but I think a HUGE plus for Silversea might turn out to be the vast range of locations. Will post more when we have tried them.