Strategy to get my own table at dinner on Princess

empresschef

I really prefer to not be seated with random strangers for dinner -- have tried on previous sailings with my spouse. I'm sailing solo on Star Princess in Alaska with Anytime Dining. Has anyone with a similar request had success with introducing oneself to the Maitre'd upon embarkation and pressing American currency into his/her hand? Any other strategies to suggest?

I intend to dine in the dining room - not a buffet lover. My preference for my own table is based less on experiences with bad company (there have bee a few!) and more on not having the patience/interest in sitting through an extended dinner as my random tablemates order multiple rounds of drinks and extra courses creating a very, very long event. I'd much rather move on to another activity!

If I'm "stuck" sharing, how rude is it considered to excuse myself after everyone has finished their entree? I really don't need the dessert calories!

I don't know about bribing the Maitre'd with cash; however, I THINK (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that you can call ahead for a reservation for a two-top for up to three nights at a time (so you would just have to remember to do it again every third night), although you may end up having to share on the first night if there aren't any reservations available upon embarkation. As far as excusing yourself after you're done, it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

Absolutely no need to offer cash to the Maitre d' in making a request for a table for one! You can request a table for one in making a reservation or without one (this might lead to a wait depending upon the time you wish to dine).

I have found (not on Princess, however) that dining later in the time frame usually gives me a table for one even when I have requested being seated with other guests. And, I did so without an advance reservation.

A friend and I sailed Coral Princess Alaska cruise some years ago. Took 'any time dining'. we always ate at a table for 2 and rarely had to wait more than 10 minutes. We weren't the earliest to eat, but earlier than later. I doubt it would be much harder for 1 person to get a table for themselves. We never bothered with prebooking a seating.

And they don't require paying off....

I'm not sure how it is when you book direct, but when I book as a travel agent, after I select the dining time, there's an area to select how large a table you want and if you want to be seated with other guests. You can select a table for two at that time. If a mistake is made and the cruise line puts you with other guests for dining, I'd recommend speaking with the maitre d' as soon as possible and preferably as soon as you board the ship after embarkation. Best of luck and Bon Voyage!!

I'm not sure how it is when you book direct, but when I book as a travel agent, after I select the dining time, there's an area to select how large a table you want and if you want to be seated with other guests. You can select a table for two at that time. If a mistake is made and the cruise line puts you with other guests for dining, I'd recommend speaking with the maitre d' as soon as possible and preferably as soon as you board the ship after embarkation. Best of luck and Bon Voyage!!

I think that's only for fixed dining (the OP is asking about Anytime Dining).

I have cruised solo multiple times on Princess and I have always chosen Anytime Dining. I've had no trouble (on the Regal and the Sapphire) going into the dining room and requesting a table by myself. There was no need to make a reservation or to bribe the Maitre d'. The same was true at the specialty restaurants (although for those, I made a reservation).

I have cruised solo multiple times on Princess and I have always chosen Anytime Dining. I've had no trouble (on the Regal and the Sapphire) going into the dining room and requesting a table by myself. There was no need to make a reservation or to bribe the Maitre d'. The same was true at the specialty restaurants (although for those, I made a reservation).

I was on the Grand and didn't even try getting a table for myself because it was always really crowded. In fact, I sometimes had to be given a pager to wait for any kind of opening if I wasn't there right at 5:30 (but I think that overcrowding might have been specific to the Grand).

Solo cruiser here. I've never been stuck at a table that ordered rounds of drinks or multiple courses. Maybe I've been lucky.

As far as excusing myself before dessert, I've done that a couple of times when there was a show I wanted to see and service was slow. I don't think it's rude, but if others do, I'm sure they'll pile on here. ;p

Roz

Solo cruiser here. I've never been stuck at a table that ordered rounds of drinks or multiple courses. Maybe I've been lucky.

As far as excusing myself before dessert, I've done that a couple of times when there was a show I wanted to see and service was slow. I don't think it's rude, but if others do, I'm sure they'll pile on here. ;p

Roz

Rude? NO! A well regarded HAL world cruise blogger regularly describes an annual fellow cruiser at their table as one who often leaves before the "dinner service" is over. The person has her own reasons to do so and often is due to the desire to experience the entertainment that is being offered that evening.

• 3 weeks later...
I was on the Grand and didn't even try getting a table for myself because it was always really crowded. In fact, I sometimes had to be given a pager to wait for any kind of opening if I wasn't there right at 5:30 (but I think that overcrowding might have been specific to the Grand).

FYI, I had a similar experience on the Grand last year - very few tables for 2 for Anytime Dining, and the room was pretty well packed every evening. I tried to call right at 8am for a reservation - they would not do one for that table size (tried a few times, with no success). In order to dine alone, I had to join the dining room line by about 4:30pm for a 5pm dinner!

• 2 weeks later...

A post-cruise followup!!! My experience was mixed. The first night, I had a lovely table for 1 with wonderful service. On night two, I was chatting with a group of 4 women and agreed to dine with them. Service was ridiculously slow resulting in a dinner of almost 2 hours. On night three, the maitre'd gave me a very hard time about a solo table and the couple behind me asked me to join them; we ended up at a large table and left it 2 hours and 15 minutes later. On night four, the maitre'd again told me a table was unavailable and I should join a group. I declined and went to a different dining room where I was graciously whisked to a table and had a great experience. I told the maitre-'d how much I enjoyed it and he "saved" me a table for the rest of the cruise.

Also, I appreciate you returning to the thread and relating your experiences. I surely hope that you mentioned on your end-of-cruise comment card/survey the differences in the reception you received from the different Maitre d's. In my opinion, the first with whom you encountered problems needs to be demoted until he learns some PR skills.

• 3 weeks later...

As others said, going later, especially close to closing time, makes it easier to get a table by yourself, and you'll be served much more quickly and with less-stressed servers. If there are two anytime dining spots, you can ask at both for availability. For the dining room at lunch, your best option is to show up early and stand in line, so you can get a 2-seater on your own.

• 2 weeks later...

Great information here. I just started a thread re Anytime dining on Princess before I saw this thread. I'm starting to think Anytime dining is the way to go, based on my recent not-great experiences with traditional dining.

I really prefer to not be seated with random strangers for dinner -- have tried on previous sailings with my spouse. I'm sailing solo on Star Princess in Alaska with Anytime Dining. Has anyone with a similar request had success with introducing oneself to the Maitre'd upon embarkation and pressing American currency into his/her hand? Any other strategies to suggest?

I intend to dine in the dining room - not a buffet lover. My preference for my own table is based less on experiences with bad company (there have bee a few!) and more on not having the patience/interest in sitting through an extended dinner as my random tablemates order multiple rounds of drinks and extra courses creating a very, very long event. I'd much rather move on to another activity!

If I'm "stuck" sharing, how rude is it considered to excuse myself after everyone has finished their entree? I really don't need the dessert calories!

I was on the star princess southern itinerary on June 16 in Alaska. I ate at a table for two alone on 4 out of the 7 nights. I loved it. I went early, at 5.30 and requested a table for two. I told the hostess I was a fast eater. They gave me a great table every time and it was great. Loved the cruise.

• 1 month later...

At any point during the meal, tell your table mates that it was lovely meeting them. Wish them a wonderful cruise, stand up from the table and say goodbye. It’s polite and that’s all that needs to be said. You owe them nothing except to be polite about your departure. Politeness is what’s expected.

• 2 weeks later...
at any point during the meal, tell your table mates that it was lovely meeting them. Wish them a wonderful cruise, stand up from the table and say goodbye. It’s polite and that’s all that needs to be said. You owe them nothing except to be polite about your departure. Politeness is what’s expected.

e x a c t l y !