Accessible St Thomas- Island Girl or Dial-A-Ride

FOPMan

Hello!

We are sailing on the Koningsdam in December.

Has anyone had recent experience with Dial-A-Ride in St Thomas? We’re looking for a ride to/from the beach that’s accessible- unfortunately, climbing into a safari truck doesn’t work anymore.

We are also considering an excursion to St John. I think it uses Island Girl as the ferry. Has anyone on the board had any experience with them? I’ve posted to their Facebook page, but have not heard back.

Thanks!

Getting in and out of the safari trucks may not be a problem, depending on her size. My traveling companion did not ever have a problem with the safari trucks because the drivers just picked her up and put her on the truck. They also lifted her off. She only weighed about 130 pounds. He also lifted both our scooters and put them in the back. On one trip, we went to Coral World and on another trip we just took an island tour in St. Thomas.

Not familiar with the ferry, however here is a picture that shows a ramp.https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/af/69/21/virgin-islands-ferry.jpg Looks like there may be a small step down inside of the boat, but that should not be a major problem.

Yes, that was a great cabin NCL, we enjoyed it on two different ships.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Edited by raindropsalways

We just came home from a land tour where we spent 2 weeks on St John, USVI. Island Girl arrives with cruise ship passengers daily at an area of St John just across from the Mongoose Junction Shopping Centerr.

For The first time in years, I saw someone come off the island girl tender ( large ferry) with a mobility scooter. I don’t know where they were going to go, because the stores are not accessible to scooters, ut if you ride your scooter to the far end on Mongoose Junction by the ice cream parlor, there is a ramp you could take into a courtyard with several nice shops. If you ride around the back of the shopping center, also from when the ice cream parlor is located, you can enter the shopping center on the second level to access a nice bar,McCafé , a few stores and a Mexican restaurant. The excursion would be a nice ride back and forth across Pillsbury sound Nd you could certainly spend a few hours in the shopping center. I have a mobility scooter and travel all over the world with it and spend a month on St John every year so I know.

That being said, if you could get over on the Island Girl and you could get into a safari truck, Trunk Bay would now be accessible all the way on concrete to the wooden stairs to the water. You could leave your scooter there in plain sight if you could make it down the stairs ( 3) to the beach. There are picnic tables , changing rooms and showers as well as toilets so if you do not want to go all the way down on the sand you would still have a beautiful view of a beautiful beach. Hope this helps.