Doctor's note for 93 year old?

Romy40

No proof of fitness to cruise is required of any person just because they have reached a certain age. Legalities aside, that policy would obviously be bad for business in the cruise industry.

What is required is that persons of any age advise Princess of certain medical conditions: if you require an electric wheelchair or scooter, portable oxygen, portable dialysis, needles and syringes, medicine that must be refrigerated, dietary limitations and modifications. Once you have booked there is a link to a (non-mandatory) medical questionnaire in the Cruise Personalizer. Up to each passenger to determine if any of it applies to them. Age irrelevant. Which is a good thing as there are plenty of passengers onboard old enough to be my parents who I couldn't keep up with.

Just returned from a cruise with a 97 year old in the party - a fairly regular cruiser and not the most senior aboard who was a young 98 years! But as emphasised above do make sure you have travel insurance and that you discuss with your 93 years young's doctor that they consider them fit to travel. Have to say that the crew aboard were all superb in looking after their more senior (age wise) passengers.

Might not hurt to carry on medical information that would pertain IF an emergency should arise. Took my 82 year old spry cousin on a cruise and she brought her own medical information on a thumb drive just in case.

I don't know about you, but I have a smart phone. My complete medical history and current medications are stored there. Would not take Sherlock Holmes to find

Cruise ships are famous for booting entire parties from the ship if one person has anything more severe than a broken finger.

HUH???

That's a pretty broad generalization with no backup info. Perhaps you'd like to provide data to prove it.

In the 12 plus years that I have been following and participating in CC, I have not read anything that would indicate that statement to be true.

I don't know about you, but I have a smart phone. My complete medical history and current medications are stored there. Would not take Sherlock Holmes to find

Whatever works for you. Hers was put together by her doctor but yours would probably work.

I have not read anything that would indicate that statement to be true.

The events at sea page, http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html , has the followingstatement: Medical Evacuations(Medevacs) are not reported here. They arecommon (10 - 20 a week) and a often reported elsewhere.

On this Princessthread, I read of this 2-4 times a year where pax claims illness/injury notthat bad, but put off the ship. Not my job to document what you don't believe. Your basing your belief solely on your own personalexperience.

You do realize only a small fraction of pax reads or post to thisboard. Any cruise line does not like this type of negative publicity and attemptsto keep it quite. Some years ago had a 10 day Mexican cruise where the averageage of the pax was rather advanced. My knowledge was of two actual pax deathsand strong rumors of a third. You do know there is no actual “morgue” on acruise ship, but there are freezers where frozen foods are stored. I’m justsaying a lot of negative things happen on a cruise you never hear about.

HUH???

That's a pretty broad generalization with no backup info. Perhaps you'd like to provide data to prove it.

In the 12 plus years that I have been following and participating in CC, I have not read anything that would indicate that statement to be true.

I don't remember the line, but I have clients that were almost put off mid-cruise because the husband fell ill due to what turned out to be dehydration. As the story was related to me, the line feels ill equipped to deal with infirmity, compared to land-based options.

I don't remember the line, but I have clients that were almost put off mid-cruise because the husband fell ill due to what turned out to be dehydration. As the story was related to me, the line feels ill equipped to deal with infirmity, compared to land-based options.

Man went to medical on Princess ship night before Mexican Port. Had complaint chest pain and had exam then back to his cabin. After docking, security showed up their cabin and were told they had 30 minutes to be off the ship due to medical concern. They objected and security packed their bags and they (wife included) were deposited to the dock and ambulance summoned. Of course ship left scheduled time while they waited for tests at local hospital. Next day he was released clean bill of health and the two of them had to figure out how to get home. As I recall they had no travel insurance and had to pay for entire thing.

Be sure to get the travel insurance FOR BOTH OF YOU. Cruise ships are famous for booting entire parties from the ship if one person has anything more severe than a broken finger.

In most cases where a passenger has to disembark due to illness or injury, a traveling companion will want to disembark with that person. I think, for example, very few husbands will stay on a ship if their wife has an illness or injury and must leave the cruise.Of course any minor children would need to disembark if both parents did. Others traveling with the ill/injured person would not be forced to leave the ship.

You do know there is no actual “morgue” on acruise ship, but there are freezers where frozen foods are stored.

Take the Princess Ultimate Ship Tour for $150 and you will see where the morgue is located. It is in the medical center, not in the supplies area for the galley.

The events at sea page, http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html , has the followingstatement: Medical Evacuations(Medevacs)are not reported here. They arecommon (10 - 20 a week) and a often reported elsewhere.

On this Princessthread, I read of this 2-4 times a year where pax claims illness/injury notthat bad, but put off the ship. Not my job to document what you don't believe. Your basing your belief solely on your own personalexperience.

You do realize only a small fraction of pax reads or post to thisboard. Any cruise line does not like this type of negative publicity and attemptsto keep it quite. Some years ago had a 10 day Mexican cruise where the averageage of the pax was rather advanced. My knowledge was of two actual pax deathsand strong rumors of a third. You do know there is no actual “morgue” on acruise ship, but there are freezers where frozen foods are stored. I’m justsaying a lot of negative things happen on a cruise you never hear about.

This is not true information about the morgue. There is a morgue on every cruise ship I've been on. Bodies are not put where the frozen food is kept! :o

The events at sea page, http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html , has the followingstatement: Medical Evacuations(Medevacs)are not reported here. They arecommon (10 - 20 a week) and a often reported elsewhere.

::snorts:: Sure you don't work for CNN?

There are food freezers. Folks do die aboard. Sorry, never the 'twain shall meet.

Morgues are *required*. I've even seen one with 8 berths. It could handle your

two or three with ease, which should tell you something.

Please please be very careful taking elderly on board if they are of the frail nature. We had a very elderly couple on one trip.....they had no idea where their cabin was ,,,(It looked like it had been arranged by those who booked the cruise (there was noo way these old folk would have known what they were doing) but princess put up the biggist ribbon flower on their door to help.

They were too old to even open the cabin door...they turn up for breakfast...well one did and then not eat...3 days into the cruise the lady took a fall and next port they dissapeared off the ship...

They elderly man was lost standing outside the lift..turned out he needed to visit his wife in the medical center...but had no idea how to work the lifts....even with his wife lying on the floor in her cabin he wanted us to help...so hubby went in only to find Drs all ready there...

Please if your sending a elderly frail person on a cruise be with them all the way so they too can have a happy memory...

Please please be very careful taking elderly on board if they are of the frail nature. We had a very elderly couple on one trip.....they had no idea where their cabin was ,,,(It looked like it had been arranged by those who booked the cruise (there was noo way these old folk would have known what they were doing) but princess put up the biggist ribbon flower on their door to help.

They were too old to even open the cabin door...they turn up for breakfast...well one did and then not eat...3 days into the cruise the lady took a fall and next port they dissapeared off the ship...

They elderly man was lost standing outside the lift..turned out he needed to visit his wife in the medical center...but had no idea how to work the lifts....even with his wife lying on the floor in her cabin he wanted us to help...so hubby went in only to find Drs all ready there...

Please if your sending a elderly frail person on a cruise be with them all the way so they too can have a happy memory...

What a terribly sad story that seems almost literally a crime.

Age is simply a number because it's attitude and outlook that makes one young at heart. I'm all for senior independence until diminished capacity makes it a risk.

I'm not sure any of us will fully understand how the couple described managed to find themselves alone on the cruise. If they were put off in port, I certainly hope that Princess went above and beyond with assistance extending past just the pier to ensure their safe return home.

Along the lines of what has been stated, a medical "note" clearing travel is not req'd. That being said, it doesn't hurt to have one just in case. A few reasons include: in the event of an issue where a travel insurance claim is filed, airlines (although incredibly rare) could also want documentation for travel, and also if they're regularly followed by a physician anyway - why not have one?

I'm not sure any of us will fully understand how the couple described managed to find themselves alone on the cruise.

They were put on the ship so that their children or other family could take a week off from being their caregivers. Happens a lot more often than anyone cares to admit.

Along the lines of what has been stated, a medical "note" clearing travel is not req'd. That being said, it doesn't hurt to have one just in case. A few reasons include: in the event of an issue where a travel insurance claim is filed, airlines (although incredibly rare) could also want documentation for travel, and also if they're regularly followed by a physician anyway - why not have one?

I have never heard of a travel insurer denying a claim based on lack of fitness to travel--beyond of course a preexisting condition becoming newly acute during the lookback period. My mother always carried a medical history with her just in case she needed to see a doctor while travelling. But a "fitness to travel" note is not only unnecessary it is a potential can of worms for both doctor and patient asking for it. If you need to prove a preexisting condition is chronic but under control that is easily done when asked for. It's nobody's business but yours beforehand.

Edited by fishywood

I have never heard of a travel insurer denying a claim based on lack of fitness to travel--beyond of course a preexisting condition becoming newly acute during the lookback period. My mother always carried a medical history with her just in case she needed to see a doctor while travelling. But a "fitness to travel" note is not only unnecessary it is a potential can of worms for both doctor and patient asking for it. If you need to prove a preexisting condition is chronic but under control that is easily done when asked for. It's nobody's business but yours beforehand.

It's not that a claim would be denied per se, but having documentation beforehand from the MD stating cleared for travel is useful in the event something medical comes up (and not that you would need to disclose said document unless challenged to do so). Although probably not relevant for a 93yo, but hypothetically if I one had been treated for a past cardiac issue documentation stating "medically cleared for activity" is nice for some activities (e.g., snorkel, jet-ski excursion, diving) where the waivers asks for history of various conditions, and if one were to disclose a past condition they may be refused participation without MD sign-off.

A middle ground is to at least ask your MD if there's any reason you should not be traveling so they give an explicit OK... that way you at least have that conversation in advance in the unlikely event that the MD's Opinion is needed on the topic again (hopefully it's a non-issue).