Ft Lauderdale wheelchair access

Kate45

going on the Crown in November with a travel mate who is confined to a wheelchair (motorized). She is paralyzed from the waist down and in the chair from when she gets out of bed until she goes to bed. I have read that Ft Lauderdale has free parking for vans that are converted with ramps for wheelchairs. Is this correct and do we need to notify them in advance? I understand Crown Princess docks at pier 2 normally. Will we park close to here or should we drop her off and then park the van? Is this even a possibility? Thanks

going on the Crown in November with a travel mate who is confined to a wheelchair (motorized). She is paralyzed from the waist down and in the chair from when she gets out of bed until she goes to bed. I have read that Ft Lauderdale has free parking for vans that are converted with ramps for wheelchairs. Is this correct and do we need to notify them in advance? I understand Crown Princess docks at pier 2 normally. Will we park close to here or should we drop her off and then park the van? Is this even a possibility? Thanks

Suggest you post this question on the Florida Departures Board. They should be able to answer your question. If not, go to the Port Everglades webpage and check their parking section. There may be some contact information.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I know that Port Everglades does offer free parking for vehicles with accessible modifications. I've not sailed Princess and cannot say how far it would be from the parking spot to the boarding area. If you're not able to gather this information in advance, I would imagine a pass through on arrival will help you make that decision.

We've cruised out of Port Everglades several times, and have always parked in the lots close by or adjacent to the specific terminal. When we leave the parking attendant takes down license plate number, and the disabled parking permit (state issued) number. They may or may not do a cursory look to see if the vehicle is modified. Never had a problem, never had to pay. I've never been able to make arrangements ahead of time, though.

Edited to add: We sailed out of Terminal 2 on Princess. If I recall, we parked in a parking garage close by the terminal.