Nautica

Tutuma

I am a dedicated O cruiser. Have sailed on all but one of the ships (Riviera). Looking forward to a cruise on Nautica in November. However I am concerned. The recent reviews of the ship are quite disturbing. Very few positive comments and many negative especially about the ship itself.

I would appreciate feedback from those who have recently sailed on the Nautica.

I am a dedicated O cruiser. Have sailed on all but one of the ships (Riviera). Looking forward to a cruise on Nautica in November. However I am concerned. The recent reviews of the ship are quite disturbing. Very few positive comments and many negative especially about the ship itself.

I would appreciate feedback from those who have recently sailed on the Nautica.

We just spent 20 nights on Nautica (April/May Mumbai to Athens). No concerns from our point of view! Ship is beautiful, crew amazing, food some of the best we have ever had at sea. I just scanned the recent reviews and at least a couple of those people were on our cruise. They seemed to have had a different experience than we did.

This was our third time on Nautica. First in 2001 when she was essentially new sailing as the Renaissance R5. Then in 2006 during her inaugural year with Oceania. Still looking good to me after 16 years! If you want to find some rust spots here and there, yes, they are there, but considering the beating any ship takes, it's not a concern to me.

We booked another cruise on Nautica while we were on board.... Happy to answer any specific questions.

Here is the link to the "LIVE" thread I did while we were on board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2485801

Joe

Edited by JoePDX

We were on the 1 June cruise and found everything on board as expected, really nice shape. Even after a night of rough seas between ports off the Ireland coast. The ship handled it very smoothly and we slept soundly. Accommodation was like our three other cruises on Nautica. Food in general was the best at sea. Yet no where on Oceania can they make a good Neapolitan Pizza. I understand wood fired ovens are not allowed on ships. Guess I have to forego pizza.

I read about 10 or 15 reviews back. There seems to be some common threads going through them, like some were written by the same person.

The biggest issue I see is that people didn't do any research into what Oceania is before they booked.

Here's some lines I really liked.

"Our carry on luggage was lost during embarkation" Ok, were you carrying it?

" Library didn’t appear to have any popular authors."

"The cabin itself was quite tiny and the bathroom even more starved of room. We did have a balcony so there was a little more breathing space but generally, we were surprised and disappointed with the size of the cabin. "

" The Maitre d' of the Italian restaurant, Polo suggested to my wife that, "Maybe madam doesn't like Italian food". My wife being Italian told him that she did like Italian food and that was the problem. " Perhaps because you were in the Steak House?

"The food on the Nautica ranges from barely adequate to inedible."

"Having read reviews about the entertainment onCruis Critic we felt sure they would have rectified it ," Really? Just because you read about it?

" To top off my negative experiences on this cruise we were charged $480 for gratuities, a charge which was not included in the Ticket Contract."

There was a lot comparing to HAL.

ORV,

Love the quotes - my favorite one is "The food on the Nautica ranges from barely adequate to inedible."

I wonder what/where they eat at home and what cruise line are they comparing it to; or what they consider "edible" (or better) :D

Another cruiser complained that they "were taken to a third world hospital" - apparently they were in a third world country. Did they expect to be taken to Mayo Clinic?

Edited by Paulchili

I read a few but as always some are just lack of research especially on the size of cabins & bathrooms

Food is subjective

some find the food too fancy so say it is not good not that it is not their personal tastes

People have to go & try it for themselves

we went on HAL (music charter cruise) 1st one food was OK

2nd one not so good

but we had to see for ourselves to judge

we did try not to compare to O :halo: the music made up for the mediocre food

I read a few but as always some are just lack of research especially on the size of cabins & bathrooms

Food is subjective

some find the food too fancy so say it is not good not that it is not their personal tastes

I agree that food is very subjective but to say that food on Oceania is "barely adequate to inedible" is a hyperbole at best.

I agree that food is very subjective but to say that food on Oceania is "barely adequate to inedible" is a hyperbole at best.

I Agree but if someone is used to eating at the Golden arches then O food might seem inedible to them :evilsmile:

ORV,

Another cruiser complained that they "were taken to a third world hospital" - apparently they were in a third world country. Did they expect to be taken to Mayo Clinic?

This was during our cruise in April. We were at the Karnak light show when this happened. We were with a private group, the one who fell was with an Oceania tour - people kept yelling out for the "leader of Oceania group x". A sad event for sure, but not directly a result of Oceania!

Joe

Back to the OP's concerns about Nautica, I will just say that we were on Nautica in June/July 2016 and she was as lovely as the other "R" ships.

There's always a problem in reading "reviews" in that you really cannot know how to assess an opinion expressed by someone you do not know. It can be helpful... or not.

Mura

We sailed on Nautica in April/May 2016. It is a lovely ship and the crew were outstanding. There were a few cosmetic flaws, but honestly, with the age of the ship, that did not surprise me nor did it make a difference in our overall experience. I would sail on Nautica again.