Anyone done the Viator Yukon Tour from Skagway

Returntocruising16

I thought I had seen a great review of the VIATOR Yukon bus tour from Skagway. It is 6-7 hours, but stops st multiple places like Emerald Lake and Carcross Desert. We were planning to take the train from Seward to Anchorage, so we decided to skip the white Pass railway. Will we regret it?

There is nothing similar with your 2 tours. Completely different tours. Have no clue if you're going to regret it. Are you? What is the reason for this thinking? Question to ask yourself, and what do YOU want out of your Alaska visit?

Good point! Now that I am researching further, looks like we cant do this tour because of the schedule. Think this is really middleman for chilkoot charters, which says those on Radiance of the Seas cant do their tours when in port on Wednesdays. Ugh. I would like to go to the Yukon, see sled dogs, Emerald Lake, Carcross Desert, etc.

I think you should take the train from Fraser back to Skagway. You should have already seen what there is to see from the highway. The scenery from the train can be pretty spectacular and nothing like what I saw from our road trip tour to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave. I haven't ridden the train from Seward to Anchorage but it follows the highway [that I have been on] at least 1/3rd of the way - the scenery there is quite different from what you'll see from the White Pass train. You my not regret skipping the White Pass but I think you will enjoy the ride - sit on the right side of the train as you're headed toward Skagway for the best views. I don't think you will be disappointed. :D

Thanks. I am the only one dying to see sled dogs (but cant afford the flights to ser them on glaciers). Trying to figure out how to fit both in. Maybe can in hoonah while hubby and son are zipriding (my neck probably won't like the abrupt stop, unfortunately). Don't think there is enough time.

P.S.

I'm a little confused where you said "Radiance of the Seas cant do their tours when in port on Wednesdays". I'm going to be there on a Wednesday next month. I made my own arrangements for an Emerald Lake tour with Dyea Dave, no problem. When I went to buy the train tickets from Fraser to Skagway the White Pass website showed no availability that day or any Wednesdays... I emailed their office to ask what was up - they told me to call them directly. I did and got three tickets without a problem. I'm not sure why this is the case but am guessing the cruise lines pretty much have the trains bought up but there are some tickets available for individuals the way I bought ours. If you're really wanting to go over into the Yukon plus ride the train you could do it the way I did. This will be my 2nd trip with Dyea Dave - I give them two thumbs up. As I said, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Good luck!

Does anyone who has done the bus/train combination before remember if the road up was a windy mountain road or pretty open?

We haven't done a bus/train cruise-related excursion, but we have both rented vehicles in Skagway and also driven our own vehicles into Skagway. Sections of the road could be described as "pretty open" with relatively flat surface and open views on both sides. But other sections definitely would be described as having curves and mountainous with steep drop offs on one side.

One thing to keep in mind is to verify that the cruise line is also offering the same, timed tour in the afternoon for the train. One direction of the Radiance does have a different port time in Skagway, if that is the cruise you are on? I know Dyea Dave, does have a cart ride with sled dogs add on available. So that is a good choice.

Does anyone who has done the bus/train combination before remember if the road up was a windy mountain road or pretty open?

It isn't that windy, but isn't wide, with some, just 2 lane drop off areas, pretty much most of the run through Alaska. It does open up some, in BC and Yukon, but remains tiered , so , no flat, wide expansive open, until probably past Carcross.

I'm on the road, multiple times each year.

We are driving from Skagway to Carcross using Murray’s guide. I am a bit nervous about these steep drop offs. Are there guard rails? How much has steep drop offs? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Budget Queen's description is on point at least in my limited experience of taking the train up, transferring to a van to get to Emerald Lake and returning via van to Skagway in 2012 with Chilkoot. My memory of the road is that we were glad we were taking it downhill so we were hugging the mountain side because some of those drops were awfully steep and I don't remember guardrails. We also drove through drizzle and fog which made me glad we had a driver with years of experience on that road but I still worried about tourists possibly drifting into our lane in the fog. We are doing the train up/van back again this summer with Chilkoot. They are a great outfit and we're hoping they still reserve the last car of the train which gives their customers access to the back viewing platform as you ascend the mountain. The views are spectacular!

It isn't that windy, but isn't wide, with some, just 2 lane drop off areas, pretty much most of the run through Alaska. It does open up some, in BC and Yukon, but remains tiered , so , no flat, wide expansive open, until probably past Carcross.

I'm on the road, multiple times each year.

We are driving from Skagway to Carcross using Murray’s guide. I am a bit nervous about these steep drop offs. Are there guard rails? How much has steep drop offs? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes there are guard rails. I've driven the summit during white outs, and 12 foot snow banks. So, have no clue- nor can I speculate if this drive is for you. Look further, and search -you should be able to easily find images. The summit and common viewing segment with the White Pass, has the most visible drop offs perhaps. Also there are plenty of images of the Moore cantilever bridge- will give you an idea.

The Klondike Hwy. from Skagway to Carcross is almost completely covered by Google Street View, so you could preview (nearly) the entire road from home if you wish. (There are a couple of gaps around customs stations near the international border.)

I thought I had seen a great review of the VIATOR Yukon bus tour from Skagway. It is 6-7 hours, but stops st multiple places like Emerald Lake and Carcross Desert. We were planning to take the train from Seward to Anchorage, so we decided to skip the white Pass railway. Will we regret it?

A few years ago, we took the train up then a private van tour down. It was a great way to do it. The time, with a family of 16, it was too costly so we are going by van both ways with Dyea Dave. I do love the train ride.