Has FDR lost it ?

pinotlover

Have people seen the US National News report on the NCL Cruise where major construction was ongoing on the decks , many occurring 24/7? Two weeks in a Construction Zone? Why didn’t the ship go into drydock?

How would you react if Frank Del Rio opted to do the same on an Oceania cruise?

What kind of pressures was he under to have considered allowing such a cruise? Is your O cruise next?

I doubt that the CEO of NCLH would have made the construction schedule for one of the NCL ships. Maybe would have been reviewed as part of scheduling by Andy Stewart who is the President & CEO of Norwegian Cruise Lines. They both might have been involved in the corporate response. I wonder if the scope of work was underestimated or the bean counters won and it was given a green light to try. Not excusing the situation by any means. I agree with Noxequifans that this will not likely repeat, on any of their ships

I saw that on the national news too....totally pathetic! I'd be furious too. I was thinking the same thing as pinotlover....why didn't they put the ship in drydock?? Or were they trying to save money, thinking passengers wouldn't care?? Sheesh.:rolleyes:

Actually got word of this NCL Cruise via my daughter that had a close friend on the cruise. The friend was uploading video on FB that included not only images but the sound effects that went went the images! NBC didn’t include the sound effects with the images tonight! Their FB page includes all the noise they could hear in their cabin at 12-2 am in the morning coming from the construction aboard!

This cruise was a two week cruise which her friends not only had to save for, but was longed planned for because getting two full weeks off together for them is extremely difficult for them at this point of their careers!

My daughter says they don’t want a future free cruise with Anything NCL! They never plan on stepping aboard anything associated with NCL ever again. They just want some refund for enduring a horrible experience entirely under NCL’s control.

What was FDR thinking?

It sounds awful. Maybe long time fans of the line would be somewhat forgiving, but obviously daughter isn't ... and I can't blame her.

I'd probably feel the same.

NBC didn’t include the sound effects with the images tonight!

Yes they did....NBC was the national news I was watching and I could hear the hammering, sawing and machines! One video was taken from someone's balcony at night and it sounded like a construction zone downtown! Awful.

Mura;

I can tell you that Frank Del Rio’s cruise lines are getting a lot of FB looks and bad advertising from friends, and friends of friends, of my daughter’s work colleague resulting from that cruise! Close to viral! I hope FDR made lots of money from his decision to allow the work to be performed during the cruise.

Go Bucks;

I watched it on NBC also. Trust me, what you heard on tv was nowhere close to what the FB video shows. 2/3X multiplier!

Edited by pinotlover

Mura;

I can tell you that Frank Del Rio’s cruise lines are getting a lot of looks and bad advertising from friends, and friends of friends, of my daughter’s work colleague resulting from that cruise! Close to viral! I hope FDR made lots of money from his decision to allow the work to be performed during the cruise.

Go Bucks;

I watched it on NBC also. Trust me, what you heard on tv was nowhere close to what the FB video shows. 2/3X multiplier!

All about the money. FDR is selling some of his stock and this kind of thing is helping the earnings and keeping the price up. Awful. Quit different from how they ran O. Guess the money is more important than the customers these days. :(:(:(

I get annoyed when they are just painting, I don't like the smell, but almost every Oceania cruise I've been on they are doing it. At least it lets you know they are doing maintenance regularly.

I was on a Celebrity cruise once that was right before a drydock(like this NCL cruise) and they were getting a big jump on the work. There was quite a bit of work in the buffet, and a couple of other places. The construction was obvious, but for the most part didn't impact the enjoyment of the cruise. I don't remember hearing any noise at night, but our room wasn't close to the construction area.

Why is it always FDR’s fault? NCL has their own President. I hardly think Frank is setting the construction schedules. And she was headed to Dry Dock. They just started early I believe.

Because the President of NCL works for him. It's FDR's responsibly to make it right and never happens again-period.

Yes they did....NBC was the national news I was watching and I could hear the hammering, sawing and machines! One video was taken from someone's balcony at night and it sounded like a construction zone downtown! Awful.

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. Currently we sail on both Oceania and Regent. Last year we spent 26 days on Explorer. It worries me that something similar just happened on Mariner, just off a renovation. Though not as severe as the NCL episode, it still shows severe lack of regard for passengers. One guest reported on CC that his stateroom was untouched by the renovation and the space was totally unacceptable. He wanted to be moved to a renovated space but was told nothing else was available! Another loved the new sink in the bathroom but wished it had been connected. There must have been other instances that just didn't end up on CC.

Our next cruise is on Riviera.in March. A beautiful ship, it and Explorer are our favorites, for now.

Mary

Edited by warburg
Editorial change.

Because the President of NCL works for him. It's FDR's responsibly to make it right and never happens again-period.

And they have increased their offer. I just don’t think you can blame FDR for the construction happening on a cruise. That comes down to the president of NCL.

I wasn't saying that what I heard was as bad as it was on the ship.....I was merely telling pinotlover that NBC DID include audio in their report. :cool:

And they have increased their offer. I just don’t think you can blame FDR for the construction happening on a cruise. That comes down to the president of NCL.

Really:DBefore I retired every person that reported to me, I was responsible for the work, decisions they did or made. After all only one person truly is in charge. Something that big had to be approved my Corp, if the president of NCL really made that decision, then FDR needs a new president for that company. Cruising is all about service and the experience the customer has, if the NCL president didn't think this through--that's pretty sad and he/she shouldn't be managing a company like that.

really:dbefore i retired every person that reported to me, i was responsible for the work, decisions they did or made. After all only one person truly is in charge. Something that big had to be approved my corp, if the president of ncl really made that decision, then fdr needs a new president for that company. Cruising is all about service and the experience the customer has, if the ncl president didn't think this through--that's pretty sad and he/she shouldn't be managing a company like that.

+ 1

+2

Really, any CEO has ultimate responsibility when it comes down to a decision that has harmed a customer(s). When I say that, it doesn't always mean they came up with the idea and deployment themselves but, rather they are paid big $ to be accountable for both the good and bad how the company performs.

It seems to me this is going on with a lot of companies lately. Someone in a company makes a proposal on how to make the company more money and the results cross way over the line ethically/morally (maybe not illegal). Somehow upper management approves of the idea and off it goes.

I'm not a CEO or anything like that (just a engineer) but, when I have made a professional mistake that turns into a wrong business decision (yep, I human), I'll be the first one who owns up to it and just be honest about the factors that I didn't account for. Usually most everyone accepts the honest apologize and we find out the correct decision to make so we can get things right (with the customers).

It just hasn't appeared NCL and Frank has done this yet.

FB is kind of going through a similar issue, trying to make money but crossed way over the line. There are many more recent examples. Just trying to point out that the only action from NLC I have read about is them only giving those passengers credit on future cruise. Nothing from the CEO kind of makes it worse (to me).

Really happy I wasn't on that cruise and hope all of NCL (and maybe other cruise lines) learn from this mistake.

Cheers,

John

Really:DBefore I retired every person that reported to me, I was responsible for the work, decisions they did or made. After all only one person truly is in charge. Something that big had to be approved my Corp, if the president of NCL really made that decision, then FDR needs a new president for that company. Cruising is all about service and the experience the customer has, if the NCL president didn't think this through--that's pretty sad and he/she shouldn't be managing a company like that.

I don’t disagree. The President of NCL should be held accountable. Blaiming The President of the holding company is ridiculous.

I believe NCL has offered a free cruise to those passengers. However, I won't speculate on this probably one time occurrence.

I read that they offered a 25% discount to a future cruise. That may have been updated since I read the article in the news. I've seen plenty of updating on cruises while we were on board. None really interfered with the voyage overall.

I read that they offered a 25% discount to a future cruise. That may have been updated since I read the article in the news. I've seen plenty of updating on cruises while we were on board. None really interfered with the voyage overall.

They upped the offer.

Yes but do this (get a head start) just prior to a dry dock is really bad. Offer upped to 100%.

Only bad press makes NCL do anything more.

Plus you can't forget the people (CUSTOMERS OF NCL) had vacation plans, wanting a good enjoyable time---that they didn't get and that time can't be replaced with a future credit. They should get full refund plus future credit to make them want to come back. It's just good customer service, good PR and the cost of doing business and the right thing to do period. If the president of NCL still has a job, that tells me never to cruise NCL and question FDR.