Ocean Medallion

RestonCruiser

Clearly internet is a $20-30 per day revenue source for all the non-Elite passengers. ***** has some features that may impress technophiles and maybe feed marketing some info or let someone optimize blanket distribution at MUTS.

And yes, if you sail away from your workforce, you probably have to stop work (can't have IT people cooking dinner and probably have lots of EU-East people lining up for the cruise jobs, need EU language skills, etc).

If internet is passing through the steel walls, you can hook ***** into that .. so other than the door iPads having power not sure I see an issue. Door iPads should be on the same side of the steel wall as you are .. Inside the cabin, again the internet can poll those devices. But maybe they were planning to use some line of sight or other technology and need to rethink that ... something else to do over the summer back at the developers labs and their engineers. Maybe they will lay out another ship slightly differently and then retrofit the Regal.

Not sure I need ***** that much .. but it will be fun to see what it can do besides open your door. In theory, marketing already knows everything you buy on board with your card, but I guess they don't know if you are eating or hanging out in the Piazza or sound asleep in your room (well they may know you have been in there for a long time due to key card activation).

We are on the current Regal voyage. Only Muster station B is the Ocean Medallion station according to what we were told on embarkation day at the muster drill. This location is by the shops and art gallery. There is NO seating. If passengers were unable to stand they were taken to Muster station C where seating was available. That is where muster station C has come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They had us in Muster Station B in December with the medallion. You are right, there were no seats available. My husband can't stand for long periods as he needs both knees replaced and we were there early to get a chair like we always do. When we asked for a seat and told him why they told us we could sit on the floor!

Based on what I am hearing I am glad the cabins in fire zone 4 on baja deck ( the first number of the cabin is the same as the fire zone. It increases by one every time you pass thru a fire door when waking from forward to aft) are still using the traditional cruise card that will work 99% of the time ( thanks magnets) . I sounds like it is far from working if they had not added any muster stations since November. April 15 appeared to be the target date when the phased roll out was first announced . Royal was able to fix the system they installed on Quantum of the seas Very quickly after there was problems on the first cruise . Hopefully they can meet the new target of December for full ship implementation

I believe they have put the ***** on the back burner and are putting the new and highly improved internet on the Caribbean Princess...if they can’t make any visible progress in five month on the Regal with ***** why would we think it could be done on the Caribbean Princess. My belief is that they will eventually conflate the vastly improved internet someway with the *****....and the ***** will sit until someone figures out if it can be installed after running the numbers and figuring pros vs cons financially. Obviously The Carnival Corp already has invested a lot of money and PR into *****. Management will have to decide how much more they are going to put into it and is it worth it to them in the long run. I have a feeling those that have the Medallion should hang on to them since they may become a collectors’ item. I very much doubt that the Regal will be equipped this year or next. Beginning in 2019 we were told in January by the Captain they are coming out with a new Princess ship every year for five years. If someone can get it to work it seems like building the new ships with it built in would be the way to go rather than trying to retrofit the entire fleet. I think that it is logical but not necessarily what will happen. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe they have put the ***** on the back burner and are putting the new and highly improved internet on the Caribbean Princess...

We sailed CB in March and, while the Internet access wasn't super horrible it wasn't all that swell. The last day and a half there wasn't any service at all - not even the intranet let alone the Internet. If they're making the connectivity wonderful they must have started after our cruise.

You approach your door and your door unlocks. You still physically have to push down on the handle and open the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As far as you can see, same power from old system being used with ***** as far as the doors?

They made it explicit no work will continue until Regal returns to US in the Fall. Said No workers on this technology are on board or working

Secretly ... no work on technology on this series of voyages. All workers on the new technology diverted to Caribbean Princess. Mike

There are other ships in the fleet other than the Regal

There are other ships in the fleet other than the Regal

They specifically said all work was being done next (not necessarily now) on the Caribbean Princess. They gave no indication which was next but I am guessing it was going to take some time. They didn’t say but I was left with the impression they would come back to the Regal in the Fall when it returns to the Caribbean. Mike

They made no distinction between internet work and ***** work. Since in 5 months no progress was made on ***** on the Regal it is a guess that they won’t suddenly start the program on the Caribbean. No one asked, but it would seem to be an upgrade to the Internet. In retrospect I and others wished we had asked more questions. For example I am going to be on the Royal in September during a TA from Southampton to NYC. Since the workers are in the US or Bahamas

One may assume there will be no upgrade to the Royal in either category. They would have indicated I think if the ***** problem was solved but they did not do so. Mike

Edited by bobby3334

I believe they have put the ***** on the back burner and are putting the new and highly improved internet on the Caribbean Princess...if they can’t make any visible progress in five month on the Regal with ***** why would we think it could be done on the Caribbean Princess. My belief is that they will eventually conflate the vastly improved internet someway with the *****....and the ***** will sit until someone figures out if it can be installed after running the numbers and figuring pros vs cons financially. Obviously The Carnival Corp already has invested a lot of money and PR into *****. Management will have to decide how much more they are going to put into it and is it worth it to them in the long run. I have a feeling those that have the Medallion should hang on to them since they may become a collectors’ item. I very much doubt that the Regal will be equipped this year or next. Beginning in 2019 we were told in January by the Captain they are coming out with a new Princess ship every year for five years. If someone can get it to work it seems like building the new ships with it built in would be the way to go rather than trying to retrofit the entire fleet. I think that it is logical but not necessarily what will happen. Mike

Having worked at the "bleeding edge" of technology, it smells like ***** has been

bitten by one of Rumsfeld's "unknown unknowns". If, for example, the problem is

that the *****'s radio signal echoes down the metal-walled corridors? Then the

medallion could sometimes appear to be nearer to a sensor down the corridor

than to the one next to your door, meaning your door won't unlock. *IF* that's

the problem, it's going to echo down the corridors of any new ships, too.

Whatever, it's cheaper to have the boffins work the issue in home waters rather

than having them board the Regal and do it in the Baltic. Hence the Caribbean

gets rewired to give them a nearby test platform.

One may assume there will be no upgrade to the Royal in either category. They would have indicated I think if the ***** problem was solved but they did not do so. Mike

Based on my December 2017 email from Princess stating the Royal would not have ***** on our May 2019 cruise that’s a safe assumption. The Royal was scheduled for ***** in January 2018 & based on recent posts it’s now sometime after the Caribbean...and after May 2019.

Whether the upgrades were added during the most recent shipyard maintenance in September 2016 is unknown but it’s doubtful to me. I haven’t read about when the next shipyard maintenance is scheduled however based on previous discussions about cycles between drydocks it may be sometime in 2019.

I'm guessing in about a year, or so, Carnival will finally come out and spin the failure of the ***** experience as not getting enough positive feedback from it's passengers and will totally scrap it, or greatly reduce it to what currently works...sometimes..:rolleyes:

then the IT team will get back to work on improving the pizza !!;p

It's odd that a picture of "Royal Princess" is captioned:

"The Carnival Regal Princess cruises along. (Courtesy of Carnival)"

Is this fake news?

Uhh... No. The Regal Princess is owned by Carnival Corp & PLC.

"Princess" is one of their ten brands. Sailing on that brand is very different from

sailing on the Carnival brand or the Seabourn brand, but you buy CCL stock to

get stockholder OBC on Regal.

I'm guessing in about a year, or so, Carnival will finally come out and spin the failure of the ***** experience as not getting enough positive feedback from it's passengers and will totally scrap it, or greatly reduce it to what currently works...sometimes..:rolleyes:

then the IT team will get back to work on improving the pizza !!;p

I believe you are correct. They made several false assumptions. Who is there basic base customers? Baby Boomers who are just beginning to come in great numbers and will continue for the next 20 years. Gen X and Mill. don't generally have the most necessary element free time, plus money, plus interest, (of course a generalization) to spend lots of time and money on cruises. As I look around the atrium I see nothing but baby boomers and "the silent generation". This is their customer base. I can only speak for myself, a baby boomer, that I have absolutely no interest in a "personal experience" that the preceding article references. If they brought John over from Disney for this he came to the wrong place (I am referencing the linked article above). He should go back to Disney. They severely misjudged their customers. We want things that work. We are very tech literate in general. They threw out a lot of money on something few of us need or want.

Even if the ***** worked most of us couldn't care less for a machine to address us by name or know our favorite drink. We appreciate on the Regal the great high speed internet....it is a real plus. But I have talked with several who have the ***** which I understand is not fully functional and they couldn't care less about the features promised. The only thing they know is that it doesn't work and is of little benefit for them. If I was on the Board of Directors I would cut the losses and concentrate on the Internet. Also on the Regal many employees are still hyping the ***** which can only lead to lack of satisfaction by the customers when they discover, if they do, that it is not functional this year or next in all probability. John should perhaps go back to Disney or to the Carnival Disney Cruise line which would not attract the Princess customers. I understand it is not his fault but a basic mistake by management... Mike

We appreciate on the Regal the great high speed internet....it is a real plus. But I have talked with several who have the ***** which I understand is not fully functional and they couldn't care less about the features promised. Mike

I agree that the unlimited Ocean Internet is a great improvement over the slower then molasses internet on the other Princess ships. I also have seen around the ship that their technology is being integrated into other areas that are not so apparent.

The signage around the ships seems to now be wired so information can be updated immediately and from one source.

It also looks like the slot machines have been converted and you just hold your card up to the machine and it reads your card. I am sure there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Still getting the same amount of paper promotions in our mailbox though....;)

Uhh... No. The Regal Princess is owned by Carnival Corp & PLC.

Really?

Perhaps you missed the point.

The ship in the picture is Royal Princess.

The caption calling it Regal Princess is wrong.

Having a picture of Royal Priness seems wrong, as the artical is about medallion on Regal Princess.

I found the entire article rather trite.

It took Disney four years to implement magic bands, and princess is 'only' three years in...

Didn't the developers learn anything the first time?

Edited by pablo222

I agree that the unlimited Ocean Internet is a great improvement over the slower then molasses internet on the other Princess ships. I also have seen around the ship that their technology is being integrated into other areas that are not so apparent.

The signage around the ships seems to now be wired so information can be updated immediately and from one source.

It also looks like the slot machines have been converted and you just hold your card up to the machine and it reads your card. I am sure there is a lot more going on behind the scenes that we are not aware of.

Still getting the same amount of paper promotions in our mailbox though....;)

Yes the slot machines are all completely new since my January cruise and the way they function is terrific. But notice that they are for ***** token and work just as well with the cruise card as you indicated. Also think of the cost of just one and multiply. I know for sure they will get the money back in short order but again made expecting the *****. I used the old ones 3 months ago and they looked to be a year or two old

Princess needs to bring back old skool bingo with the balls in a basket rolling around instead of that electronic crap that the winning card is known before the game even starts.

and bring back, at least a section, that has the slots where the 'tokens/quarters' actually drop out in the tray

I know, I know...

GET OFF MY LAWN !!!:evilsmile: