Questions About the Century to Hawaii

mikjr

Greetings... we have not cruised on Celebrity for several years (cruised Princess) and are considering the Oct 7 cruise to Hawaii R/T from San Diego on the Century.

Since we haven't cruised Celebrity for a few years, I have a couple questions:

1) We want a balcony, but only available are the Penthouse Deck, Concierge (Aft) and the Family Veranda. I have read that the FV is not that desirable.

What extra perks does the Concierge Balcony offer?

Are the rooms larger?

Is there a lot of vibration in the Aft cabins of the Century??

2) As part of the offer, Celebrity is offering the Classic Drink package, which offers sodas, coffee, beer, and even wine. I assume there is a limit per day??

3) Princess has Premium Coffee bars on their ships. Does the Century have similar?

4) one of the draws of this cruise is the stop at Kailua/Kona, instead of Nawiliwili, Kauai; Princess no longer docks in Kona. Does anyone know is this a tendered port?

5) any other tips, suggestions, or comments about the Century would be appreciated.

thanks

Greetings... we have not cruised on Celebrity for several years (cruised Princess) and are considering the Oct 7 cruise to Hawaii R/T from San Diego on the Century.

Since we haven't cruised Celebrity for a few years, I have a couple questions:

1) We want a balcony, but only available are the Penthouse Deck, Concierge (Aft) and the Family Veranda. I have read that the FV is not that desirable. agree

What extra perks does the Concierge Balcony offer? a bottle of champagne (which you can exchange for white or red wine); canapes or , if you ask, crackers and cheese each late afternoon; priority tendering; an extra credit on your Captain's club account

Are the rooms larger? no

Is there a lot of vibration in the Aft cabins of the Century??

2) As part of the offer, Celebrity is offering the Classic Drink package, which offers sodas, coffee, beer, and even wine. I assume there is a limit per day?? There is no limit per day. There is a limit on the cost of each drink.

3) Princess has Premium Coffee bars on their ships. Does the Century have similar? Cova Cafe; free snacks, beverages at a charge, but included in drink package

4) one of the draws of this cruise is the stop at Kailua/Kona, instead of Nawiliwili, Kauai; Princess no longer docks in Kona. Does anyone know is this a tendered port? Kona is a tender port

5) any other tips, suggestions, or comments about the Century would be appreciated.

thanks

We cruised the Century to Hawaii last November in a C1 cabin. See some answers in red above.

We had a wonderful time. I have not had as much contact with the ship's Captain on my other 15 cruises combined as I did with this captain. All the senior officers were visible.

You can read more in our review in the review section, posted when we got back in December.

You might also be interested in the comments from rolls calls who have recently completed the cruise. I was on the March 4 sailing and here is the link to our roll call. Look at the message near the end that were posted after our sailing day. Lots of comments were left by folks on their opinion of the ship, food and crew.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1443326&page=61

Larry

We've been on the Century twice. The first time we did an eighteen night cruise from Honolulu to Sydney (November 2011) and the second time we were on a fifteen night RT San Diego to Hawaii (October 2012).

We like the ship, with its classic nautical feeling, very much. In fact, we enjoy the ship enough that we have a pair of B2B cruises scheduled on her this fall. A poster with the CC name of MVPinBoynton (or something very similar) did a great photo review of the Century. With a little searching you should be able to find that review.

I cruised on the Century February 17 - March 4, 2013 to Hawaii; although for the most part, we had a positive experience, I found I missed the entertainment and shipboard amenities offered by Solstice class ships. Service was great, but with an older clientele, the entertainment (or lack thereof) wasn't great. 10 days at sea went by quickly for us, but evenings were slow and quiet - you could walk through public areas after 10pm with virtually no one around!

Like I said, we came away having had a very relaxing vacation and a good cruise, though many on our voyage did complain about the weather which put a damper on how they felt about the cruise. For us, time spent on the ship was relaxing and the days in port very enjoyable.

Good luck.

Suzi

The time of year has a lot to do with the weather on the sea days out and back. We are also on the Oct. 7th cruise. This is one of the best times to do a trans-pacific sailing. Also, the weather in the islands is still in the mid 80's, water temp is in the 80's as well, and the crowds from the typical "vacation" season are finished. We love the island this time of year. Looking forward to our cruise (first time on Celebrity), and hope you decide to join us.

It should come as no surprise that there are many who adore this class of ship; I am not one of them, but I can see, after having sailed on the Century why some people like this ship. For starters, the ship seems to be well managed. A new captain was joining the ship soon after our voyage, but on a small ship like the Century, officers mingle with the passengers frequently. Even the captain walks around the ship every evening; I got the feeling from the staff that they liked being on the ship. And though we spoke to a few guys who didn't like the itinerary or the small ship, all seemed to like and respect the captain and the officers.

I wouldn't give the dining room or Murano the highest marks on food quality, but service was outstanding. The Century is an easy ship to figure out, given it's half the size of the larger ships out there. And, entertainment is most definitely geared toward an older clientele. There is nothing wrong with that; very smart on Celebrity's end, since they are so good to their most loyal customers. We were constantly running into passengers who have sailed on this ship many times. Since I knew ahead of time what to expect, this didn't bother me.

We were among the handful of passengers who were under 50; there were very few kids and one couple in their early 20's that we met, who were part of a larger family group. We loved all the down time, but not everyone on the ship felt the way we did. All I can say is do your homework.

Good luck.

Suzi

Archived