Anyone been on Radiance or Rhapsody this season...Formal night advice!

I know this has been thrashed out many times on many forums and I really am not out to cause arguments:) I can see the dress code online, just wondering what the reality is rather than what the "rules" say...in the past I have found them to sometimes be quite different things!

Wondering if anyone who has cruised Radiance or Rhapsody this season can give me a heads up on what the range of male attire was on formal nights. We need to decide whether we will book somewhere other than the MDR or take clothes to suit.

Thanks!

Wondering if anyone who has cruised Radiance or Rhapsody this season can give me a heads up on what the range of male attire was on formal nights. We need to decide whether we will book somewhere other than the MDR or take clothes to suit.

Thanks!

I've been on both ships on formal nights. I've seen men dressed in Tuxedos, suits with and without ties and dress pants and jackets with a open neck shirt. My husband has worn all of those except a Tuxedo.

Edited by cruisine21

Hi there!

There were if I remember correctly 3 formal nights on our recent Radiance Cruise.

This time as we had elected My Time Dining, which meant that we usually sat with a different party each night, we packed just one formal outfit to wear at all formal nights.

We had photos taken on the first night only. Less packing, more room for shopping to take home with us! It worked for us! :)

Gae

Hmmm - well I wouldn't call Radiance of the Seas "formal" -- at least she wasn't on our recent Qld cruise. Many/most men had some kind of jacket on in the MDR - some in a suit, others just a jacket and tie -- but plenty others were just in long sleeved shirts in the MDR. Very very few in Tuxes. I don't think you need to worry too much about the matter.

It also all depends on what you would call "formal" dress?? Personally I like to dress up a little when on cruises -- I can go down to the local RSL anytime, and dress like most everybody else does in what I once read described as "casual to the point of indifference" :(

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Dress standards have dropped for ships operating from Australia, not only Royal Caribbean, but Princess and Celebrity have men turning up in the MDR on formal nights without a jacket and tie. Not good enough in my opinion. I mean Barry Bazzaw, what would the Cunarders say? They would say 'Off to the Brig, you Colonial Chav.' (Pom Chav = Aussie Bogan.) LOL.

On P&O UK Acadia last year, Sydney to Southampton, I reckon on formal nights which are about every 5 nights, 99% of men were in tuxedos, rest in dark suits, and of course P&O UK also have semi formal nights, where a jacket is required, with or without a tie, although most wear ties.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by NSWP

Dress standards have dropped for ships operating from Australia,

Les

I agree -- even though we have only been cruising for 6 years :)

BUT -- I think it goes further than that. Have you been to many funerals lately.? People (mostly younger ones) turn up in jeans -- young girls in bare midriff items (I normally don't mind that :) -- but not at funerals :).

Basically, almost anything goes today, wherever whenever. I can partly understand it -- because Aussies live fairly casual lives and many don't possess any kind of "formal" clothing. Those that do -- and wear it to work -- aren't too keen to wear it on their holidays :)

But what has been lost - or has been forgotten - is the sense of "special occasion". Not completely lost -- because the young ones do wear Tuxes to their weddings and football occasions (but they always look to me to be very uncomfortable :) Is a cruise " a special occasion" ?? -- probably not these days. Probably no more "special" than going to Kuta Beach or Bali?? :(

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Dress standards are certainly a lot less here than on American ships.

We were on the Rhapsody in September and had 3 formal nights. Most men wore lounge suits (or at least a casual shirt and a tie), 3-4 men wore dinner suits (that I could see anyway), and the rest dressed in casual attire....even some in shorts and T Shirts in the MDR.

Casual attire with a jacket will get you by on formal nights.

Dress standards are certainly a lot less here than on American ships.

We were on the Rhapsody in September and had 3 formal nights. Most men wore lounge suits (or at least a casual shirt and a tie), 3-4 men wore dinner suits (that I could see anyway), and the rest dressed in casual attire....even some in shorts and T Shirts in the MDR.

Casual attire with a jacket will get you by on formal nights.

Fletch you won't see me in a Tuxedo on Golden Princess around South America come 1st March. Just purchased a new bag of fruit from Lowes, good enough.

There is an very wide range in what people deem to be formal.

Trousers and collared shirts to Tuxedos.

Slacks and sparkly tops for women, to evening dresses.

At first I thought I was overdressed, but I am comfortable, and appropriately dressed, and now consider everyone else underdressed.

Edited by Aussie FF

On the Radiance last October we were told shorts were not allowed in the MDR on a non-formal night.

Them's the rules, but what enforcement is done at the MDR door by the Maitre D's/Head Waiters? Perhaps they should have the ships security officers there, @ The Fashion Police. Into the Brig with you. LOL. Way to go.

Them's the rules, but what enforcement is done at the MDR door by the Maitre D's/Head Waiters? Perhaps they should have the ships security officers there, @ The Fashion Police. Into the Brig with you. LOL. Way to go.

It was the Maître D at the MDR door who was turning people away.

Just off the radiance and while not formal night there was a whole posse of ladies in their pjs.

They did wear them with very fetching tiaras so I guess that could work for formal.

It was not our group though.

Just off the radiance and while not formal night there was a whole posse of ladies in their pjs.

They did wear them with very fetching tiaras so I guess that could work for formal.

It was not our group though.

Yes very true Kaseyoz, We were on the latest cruise and after going to the effort of "suiting up" I was amazed to see tshirt and shorts walking by in the dining room, on formal night. Then there were the "lads" strolling around all night with "tuxedo print tshirts"! It was a fun quick cruise though, did you know that Radiance had to re-dock tonight with another medical emergency? They are making a habit of it maybe!

Gnomey.

We are just off Radiance after our first cruise - 5 nights to Brisbane. I was very surprised at the poor attitude a lot of people had towards dressing in general, not just on formal night. I think it is kind of disrespectful to rock up to the MDR in a t-shirt, or polar fleece jumper as did the gentleman sitting opposite me on the first evening. Where is the effort and pride people! It spoilt the occasion for me so we requested a table for two for the remaining nights and enjoyed the experience so much more. We did go to Chops Grille and found that the guests there were much better dressed (I recommend by the way).

Don't people value a 'special occasion' any more? I have to say the ladies for the most part were more dressy than the men, and generally speaking the older the cruiser the better dressed they were. Maybe some go into it with the wrong attitude, thinking it's a drag, or too much bother, but I relish the chance to don something special.

To answer your question, I don't think a tux is necessary, but certainly a nice shirt and jacket wouldn't go astray.

Les

I agree -- even though we have only been cruising for 6 years :)

BUT -- I think it goes further than that. Have you been to many funerals lately.? People (mostly younger ones) turn up in jeans -- young girls in bare midriff items (I normally don't mind that :) -- but not at funerals :).

Basically, almost anything goes today, wherever whenever. I can partly understand it -- because Aussies live fairly casual lives and many don't possess any kind of "formal" clothing. Those that do -- and wear it to work -- aren't too keen to wear it on their holidays :)

But what has been lost - or has been forgotten - is the sense of "special occasion". Not completely lost -- because the young ones do wear Tuxes to their weddings and football occasions (but they always look to me to be very uncomfortable :) Is a cruise " a special occasion" ?? -- probably not these days. Probably no more "special" than going to Kuta Beach or Bali?? :(

Barry

Yes, I see people at nice upmarket restaurants turning up in shirts and thongs. Some people say its the natural casualness of Australia but I think its plain laziness and unfortunately none of the restaurants seem bothered or they just don't want to lose business. Worst of the lot is the birghtly coloured and bizzarely patterned board shorts. These are beach wear people, not high fashion to be worn out to dinner.

Back now and here is what we saw...

Formal nights saw a few people in tuxes and long frocks. Lots and lots in dresses/pants and tops for ladies and long pants with collared shirts either long or short sleeved with or without ties. A very few in shorts tshirts and runners.

All other times in MDR shorts tshirts and thongs were very common. There was certainly no issue with any of the staff.

Staff were wonderful...food was not!

(We were anytime dining, not sure if that makes any difference)

Formal nights saw a few people in tuxes and long frocks. Lots and lots in dresses/pants and tops for ladies and long pants with collared shirts either long or short sleeved with or without ties. A very few in shorts tshirts and runners.

All other times in MDR shorts tshirts and thongs were very common. There was certainly no issue with any of the staff.

I concur, especially with your final comment.

We were on the cruise immediately before yours and the dress was somewhat more lax. They seemed to appreciate those making the effort but I didn't see service declined to anyone in shorts/T shirts.

The cooking was curious. What was good, was quite good but when it wasn't, gee it was ordinary! I had duck one night and it was crispy to the bone! Another night I had Kangaroo which is tricky to get right and they did it almost perfectly. We found it best to stick to the waiters recommendation. The staff were wonderful with smiles and friendly greetings aplenty, even the men in grey overalls!

Steve - Gnomey.

A very few in shorts tshirts and runners.

All other times in MDR shorts tshirts and thongs were very common.

do they really allow that kind of dress rule in the MDR on RCI for dinner, on princess they wouldnt get passed the front door

A very few in shorts tshirts and runners.

All other times in MDR shorts tshirts and thongs were very common.

do they really allow that kind of dress rule in the MDR on RCI for dinner, on princess they wouldnt get passed the front door

Sure do!

And the food in the MDR looked great but was almost always terribly overcooked...as if they had fully cooked it hours before then reheated it to serve but held it reheated for a long time.

Veggies were usually quite nice.

We were laughing after a few days about how good the food could look yet have absolutely no taste at all. Although that was better than the food in windjammers on boarding day which was so salty it was pretty much inedible.

I concur, especially with your final comment.

We were on the cruise immediately before yours and the dress was somewhat more lax. They seemed to appreciate those making the effort but I didn't see service declined to anyone in shorts/T shirts.

The cooking was curious. What was good, was quite good but when it wasn't, gee it was ordinary! I had duck one night and it was crispy to the bone! Another night I had Kangaroo which is tricky to get right and they did it almost perfectly. We found it best to stick to the waiters recommendation. The staff were wonderful with smiles and friendly greetings aplenty, even the men in grey overalls!

Steve - Gnomey.

here's the rules for the dress code onboard and shorts & thongs would not be allowed in the MDR, in the buffet is ok as long as they have shoes or thongs on

Q: What are the dress codes on board? s.gif A: There are three distinct types of evening on board: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Polo shirts and trousers for men, sundresses or trousers for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or trouser suits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Well 3 little pigs our group thought nearly all the "savory" food was over salted and the sweet food over sugared. Food should really be supplied under salted so a person can then add salt to their own taste, there's not much you can do if it is already too salty! It did look good though, what surprises me is the number of people saying the food was fabulous.

I see you are traveling on Volendam. HAL are also on my radar so I will be interested to hear of your experience.

rkmw, I read that too and wondered if my fairly basic suit with choker (Tie!) would be acceptable. I nearly choked on my oversalted potatoe when the shorts & T shirt walked by in the MDR! I had a good look around the visible tables after that and I was the only suit in sight. Many had open necked shirts and no jackets and that would be the "best of the rest." Dress was much better at the Captains cocktail party though, somewhat more "Princess" like.

We are doing a world cruise next year (all one day and two nights of it!) with P&O UK on Arcadia. Their web site is very helpful in detailing what is acceptable on formal nights. I am impressed so far considering the reputation they have for dress. Time will tell I suppose.

Steve - Gnomey.