Anan bear viewing

GrammieMame

We are planning a cruise in 2015 and this is an experience I'm really interested in. Our schedules would most likely put us in Ketchikan during the first week in July when the season starts. It's a really expensive trip and I'm wondering if it would be worth it during the very first week of the season. What are our chances of seeing bunches of bears?

Alaska season actually starts in late April or early May. July is mid season and the highest cruise fares.

Normally bears are solitary animals except when the salmon are running in the rivers .

Edited by Kamloops50

Alaska season actually starts in late April or early May. July is mid season and the highest cruise fares.

Normally bears are solitary animals except when the salmon are running in the rivers .

What does any of that have to do with bear viewing at Anan Creek? :confused:

What quantifies 'bunches' ?

You might want to check out the Tongass National Forest web site specific to Anan. It indicates bear activity starts June 15 but peak doesn't start until July 5 which is when permits are required.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=79154&actid=62

(The June 15 date is noted under Safety Information.)

There were 2 recent trip reports that included successful Anan visits; josieRhodes and mollanjake. Check the dates for their visit.

This blog is interesting. Go back and check the dates on early bear activity.

http://tongassbears.blogspot.com/

What quantifies 'bunches' ?

You might want to check out the Tongass National Forest web site specific to Anan. It indicates bear activity starts June 15 but peak doesn't start until July 5 which is when permits are required.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/natureviewing/recarea/?recid=79154&actid=62

(The June 15 date is noted under Safety Information.)

There were 2 recent trip reports that included successful Anan visits; josieRhodes and mollanjake. Check the dates for their visit.

This blog is interesting. Go back and check the dates on early bear activity.

http://tongassbears.blogspot.com/

We were there on July 11th during an Oceania 7-night RT Seattle cruise aboard the Regatta. We took the excursion out of Wrangel. Only 64 permits per day, so access is very limited. Brown and black bears with absolutely tremendous activity and photo ops. Highest recommendation.

We went with Island Wings to Anan Creek the first week of July and had a wonderful time.

Did we see a large amount of bears like we would have later in the season, who knows. We did see 9 bears total (including one mamma bear and her cubs) and that was plenty for us.

We had a wonderful time on the excursion and are doing it again next year. The float plane flight was great, the scenery beautiful, our bear guide was fantastic (over 50 years of experience) and the bear and eagle sightings AMAZING.

If you look at my signature below and go to the 2014 Alaska pictures you will find a file with pictures from our bear watching trip. Below is a sample picture of what we saw.

ry%3D400

I would phone or email a few tour operators and get the information straight from the source. They were very upfront with me when I asked about booking the tour in September and they said there would be no bears

I would phone or email a few tour operators and get the information straight from the source. They were very upfront with me when I asked about booking the tour in September and they said there would be no bears

This is good info. Get the facts from the tour operators.

Also, the Wrangell Ranger District.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r10/specialplaces/?cid=fsbdev2_038752

Thank you. This is very helpful. I guess I assumed the "season" for Anan started in July because that's the start of the excursions with the company I looked at; Island Wings, I think.

You assumed correct, Anan as well as other locations like Pack Creek have their own seasons. This year Anan's permit season started on 7/5. The bears are there when the salmon are there.

As stated by Mapleleaves, I wrote a review. We were at Anan on 7/9 and it was awesome. We saw 1 brown bear, a mom and cub and several other black bears. I believe my roll call mate said their were 9 different bears.

This is an expensive excursion, but we loved it!]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406865921.604605.jpg.44e72f44b073b8c75596596d9828e623.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406865893.821254.jpg.b13275dee2a22b2f5ffb8c938bd90328.jpg

Edited by mollanjake
bad picture

• 3 weeks later...

I went two years ago and my cruise was picked based on the highest chance of getting the permits and seeing bears. I worked with Island Wings as to a day when the least amount of ships would be in port so we'd have a good chance to get permits (weekends bad) and timing as far as when the salmon are running, so the bears would be there. They even told me best timing to see brown bears. We were there in the second half of July and saw lots of black bears as well as a Mom and baby brown bears.

If you have questions contact Island Wings and they will give you lots of info, highly recommend them even if you don't end up going with them. I agree, expensive but I'd do it again in a minute, especially with Michelle as the pilot!

Amazing place. We went July 19th and saw 12-15 bears. 2 brown and the rest black. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience and would go back again even with the price

Anan%20Creek-9009-Edit-L.jpg

You took some really wonderful/great pics, thanks for sharing, makes me want to go back!

My son, looking over my shoulder earlier, asked if your pic was a pic of "our bear" as looks like one we saw on July 9th - the only brown bear we saw and my favorite to watch. I know it is the same bear as in some of Mollanjake (Laura's) posts above as we were there on the same day:):):). Think maybe same bear...

7a250ee3f60ff65dde3a9df735a12486_zps9d0c4b95.jpg

bb7dd12e3e807e703da2b9f9df6fa959_zps0c2f2441.jpg

We did see about ten or so bears the day we were there, of various ages, including one small cub.

Edited by JosieRhodes