Has anyone ever upgraded AFTER the ship sails?

Has anyone ever bought an upgrade at the pursers desk AFTER then ship has left port?

I was told a few years ago that at around 8pm the purser assumes control of cabin assignments from the pier. I once has them me an additional cabin (we had 4 booked into a quad room). They initially said it would be $400, but then agreed to do it for $200. Does the purser still have this kind of flexibility?

Thanks,

~ Jared

In Nov 95, while on HAL's Maasdam on a trans-Atlantic, we were upgraded at no cost a couple of catagories after leaving the Azores, when several cabins forward, including ours, flooded (about 4 inches deep) due to water entering the ship's hull through the hawsepipe (anchor chainway). This was during a fairly bumpy Atlantic storm.

Luckily the ship was not full, and they had cabins available. to relocate us.

Michael

About eight years ago, on the Ocean Breeze of the late Dolphin Cruise Line, we received a call from the pursers office on the second day of our cruise offering us a free upgrade from a quad cabin to two adjacent double cabins. We quickly accepted the offer. A couple of years later on the Norwegian Majesty our family of four noticed that a cabin across from us appeared to be vacant. After some negotiations with the pursers office, we acquired a second cabin for about $250 per person.

About 10 years ago on the Regent Sea we had booked a cabin with a double bed, upon checking in we found we were in a room with 2 lowers that could not be moved together. We were also very low in the ship near the engine room. They told us they could not do anything the 1st night but to check with the purser's desk the next day. We were there 1st thing in the morning and at 1st they wanted to charge us $50 to "upgrade". Since we had an assigned cabin we said no thanks and held out for a new room at no charge. We ended up getting a 4 category upgrade for free, the room had a nice big window and a tub in the bathroom. Very nice for free.

Halloween on the Serenade

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;10;30;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We did a back to back Hawaii cruise on the Vision in 2002. We had booked an E1 but were able to upgrade at the pier to a Grand Suite for $700 for the first cruise. We were told to contact the Purser near the end of the first cruise to see if we could stay in the GS for the second leg of our back to back. After eleven days in that beautiful cabin they were going to have to drag me, kicking and screaming, out of there! No way was I going back to that E1. I haunted that poor Purser for two days and finally got the Mozart suite, an OS, for the second cruise and it was only $500 extra.

We were told that open sales stop 72 hours prior to a cruise. After that the cabins that remain unsold are available for the pier coordinator or purser to sell as upgrades.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

RCCL 3/01,5/01,5/02,6/02, 9/02,10/02,4/03,8/03,11/03,

4/04,8/04 9/04 NCL 4/05 b2b

Schooner Bar rules!

Does this mean that 72 hrs prior I could call and see if there is an upgrade for a good price??? That would be great to have it when I got on and my family would be surprised!!

Thanks for your help icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sally r:

We did a back to back Hawaii cruise on the Vision in 2002. We had booked an E1 but were able to upgrade at the pier to a Grand Suite for $700 for the first cruise. We were told to contact the Purser near the end of the first cruise to see if we could stay in the GS for the second leg of our back to back. After eleven days in that beautiful cabin they were going to have to drag me, kicking and screaming, out of there! No way was I going back to that E1. I haunted that poor Purser for two days and finally got the Mozart suite, an OS, for the second cruise and it was only $500 extra.

We were told that open sales stop 72 hours prior to a cruise. After that the cabins that remain unsold are available for the pier coordinator or purser to sell as upgrades.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

Schooner Bar rules!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judi

9/24 Voyage Saling

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;9;24;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Nordic Empress 9/1991

Sovreign of the Seas 10/1993

Celebrity Horizon 6/1995

Costa Victoria 3/1997

Sovreign of the Seas 6/1999

Voyager 9-24-04

It would be nice, but I seriously doubt they allow anyone to "call" for upgrades within that 72 hour prior. But maybe someone else here has better info????

The 72 hours cut off is due to the 9-11 rule. Passengers names must be submitted 72 hours prior to each sailing, leaving all unsold cabins for "upgrade" or just empty.

Soveriegn 92

Majesty 95

Granduer 97

Rhapsody 00

Vision 02

Radiance 03

Brilliance 04

Kaylyn, the price was $700 TOTAL. Upgrades are always priced per cabin not per person. As far as calling about an upgrade, I don't think RCCL does that but what would it hurt to try? Upgrading at the pier is always so iffy. We got there about 10am and were second in line. The people ahead of us wanted an E (which we had) so we just traded places in line. When we upgraded to the GS our E then came available for them. Worked great so do some networking while waiting. Keep in mind that longer cruises don't fill up as often so your chances of pier upgrades are better. Hope this helps.

Sally

NCL Sky 9/00

Schooner Bar rules!

Archived