Cruise and passport name

bgyoshi

So we’re sailing in 20 days or something. Booked my mother in law with her maiden name as middle name and her married name as last name.

Apparently we just found out, even tho she has her drivers license and her green card written as such, her passport doesn’t have her married name and her maiden name is her last name!!

We called our TA to change and says we have to cancel her and rebook her so we’ll lose the three for free perks we booked with. And there’s a $489.90 error fee. Does that sound right?

We’re flying into Vancouver from the US and sailing out of Vancouver on a Alaska cruise...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tell your TA this is not a name change but a name correction. There is a difference. Have her escalate this to a supervisor.

Heck, I would be tempted to call Princess yourself and explain your situation. They may not speak to you because you have a TA but I would chance it and explain your situation. It can't hurt.

That doesn’t sound right at all. Heck, even the cruise line allows you to swap out a passenger for a small fee as long as one passenger in the cabin remains the same.

I would try to get a conference call with your TA and the cruise line and get that worked out.

I am not entirely sure you even need a passport for this sailing. I think it depends on if it ends in a US port.

No, your TA is not right at all. The worst case is that you need to do a name correction. Up to a certain point this is free and following that there is a small fee. It doesn't change your booking at all and you won't lose your perks. As above, you can even substitute a totally different person for something like a $50 fee!

I had to do something similar when my daughter's name on the cruise reservation matched her driver's license but not her passport. I did find it farther in advance than you did...but I called Princess myself and they fixed the name on the reservation at no charge.

Yes, the cruise name needs to match the passport name. It just makes everything easier.

I would try to get a conference call with your TA and the cruise line and get that worked out.

I am not entirely sure you even need a passport for this sailing. I think it depends on if it ends in a US port.

If they are flying into Vancouver, they do need a passport. So yes.

If they are flying into Vancouver, they do need a passport. So yes.

Yes, you are correct, IF they are flying, they will need a passport. We always just take the train up from Bellingham, WA ...

our cruise was from Vancouver to Los Angeles, so no passport required. Recommended but no required.

But now the OP reports her MIL has a green card, so not sure if the rules are different if you are not a US citizen. I really just have no idea!

The bottom line here isn't "what documentation is required," and it sounds like the individual has plenty. The issue is the way the name appears on the cruise reservation and how to fix it.

I'd start with a call to Princess. Even though I used a TA, they corrected it just by talking to me. And there was no charge. I'd suggest you try that first.

And if that doesn't work, talk to the TA tomorrow and stress the difference between a correction and a change..and point out that you can even change people on a reservation without a "rebooking." TA doesn't know her stuff!

Good luck I hope it all turns out ok for you. The one thing I would do for sure is change that TA!!!

The only solution she came up with is for you to pay $489.90 and lose the 3 for free. That’s crazy.

Moki’smommy has a better solution then your TA. It’s at least a better option and worth a try.

Tony

We’re flying into Vancouver from the US and sailing out of Vancouver on a Alaska cruise...

How was her plane ticket booked and what name is on it? EZ Air, or ticketed separately by the TA? Either way, the $489 sounds like it could be the airline change fee plus fare differential. It's going to be hard to get that waived since it was your error.

If it was EZ Air, then somebody at Princess is confused and needs to separate the name correction on the cruise from the reticketing of the flight so you don't lose your perks. If it was not EZ Air, then the TA should get Princess to do a regular name correction on the cruise and handle the reticketing of the air herself.

We had a minor correction when we pulled out my wife's passport that fully spelled out her middle (maiden) name rather than simply using the initial like we had originally set up her reservation. I contacted Princess directly despite the fact that we had used a TA. One minute later, happily fixed.

We had a minor correction when we pulled out my wife's passport that fully spelled out her middle (maiden) name rather than simply using the initial like we had originally set up her reservation. I contacted Princess directly despite the fact that we had used a TA. One minute later, happily fixed.

Exactly--this was basically my situation. Daughter has her middle name on some documents, not on others. Passport needs to match cruise reservation.

If there is an issue with the EZ Air, can she use the green card for the flight? Honestly, I've never had a problem with flights when the flight ticket has a slightly different version of the name. Somehow EZ Air doesn't always match cruise reservation!

If there is an issue with the EZ Air' date=' can she use the green card for the flight? Honestly, I've never had a problem with flights when the flight ticket has a slightly different version of the name. Somehow EZ Air doesn't always match cruise reservation![/quote']

She can't use a green card for the flight ID because they're flying from the U.S. to Vancouver. Canada requires her to have a passport to enter the country (and possibly a visa depending on her citizenship), and the airline will need to see the passport and verify that the name on it matches her ticket before they will let her on the plane. I agree a mismatch is not a problem for minor typos or in my case where my first+middle name is too long to fit on some tickets; but in this case, the last name on the ticket doesn't match the last name on the passport so that's an issue.

Bottom line, they need to get both the air and cruise tickets fixed to match the passport.

How was her plane ticket booked and what name is on it? EZ Air, or ticketed separately by the TA? Either way, the $489 sounds like it could be the airline change fee plus fare differential. It's going to be hard to get that waived since it was your error.

If it was EZ Air, then somebody at Princess is confused and needs to separate the name correction on the cruise from the reticketing of the flight so you don't lose your perks. If it was not EZ Air, then the TA should get Princess to do a regular name correction on the cruise and handle the reticketing of the air herself.

We used EZ Air. and this is a big box store “TA”.... they said it needs to be rebooked and something about an error fee of a hundred something per person and totals $489.90. Then they said other option was to just cancel her and rebook her. It’s a mini-suite with 3 people.

We used EZ Air. and this is a big box store “TA”.... they said it needs to be rebooked and something about an error fee of a hundred something per person and totals $489.90. Then they said other option was to just cancel her and rebook her. It’s a mini-suite with 3 people.

Call Princes tomorrow and ask for a supervisor.

CALL PRINCESS. The big box TA isn't a real TA - they are just a facilitator. When you call Princess do not press the button to say you are working with a TA, Just get a real person on the line and tell them you need to do a name change. Explain the issue and they should fix it for you right then and there. Don't trust your "big box TA" to do anything for you. They give good OBC but that's about all they are good for.

Who is getting this "Error Fee"? Is it going to the TA? You can, for free transfer the booking back to Princess. You would lose the OBC the TA is giving but avoid the bogus fee. Princess doesn't charge "error fees". Call Princess and explore your options.

CALL PRINCESS. The big box TA isn't a real TA - they are just a facilitator. When you call Princess do not press the button to say you are working with a TA, Just get a real person on the line and tell them you need to do a name CORRECTION. Explain the issue and they should fix it for you right then and there. Don't trust your "big box TA" to do anything for you. They give good OBC but that's about all they are good for.

Who is getting this "Error Fee"? Is it going to the TA? You can, for free transfer the booking back to Princess. You would lose the OBC the TA is giving but avoid the bogus fee. Princess doesn't charge "error fees". Call Princess and explore your options.

Exactly. I even mentioned to the very nice customer service agent that we had booked through a TA. Her response, 'No problem. Let me correct your reservation right away.' They don't want problems at the embarkation dock just as much as we don't. And from what I've read, Canada takes this all pretty serious so Princess has to as well.

And I don’t know if it’s significant that we’re only 20 days out. They said something because it’s less than 45 days.

Yes, EZ Air has change penalties if it's less than 45 days out. It is going to cost you something to change an air reservation that's already been ticketed. I don't know why it would affect more than one person's air ticket or the cruise portion though. I think that's some kind of miscommunication between the TA and Princess and you, or else the TA is charging you an extra service fee.

I agree with others that are telling you to call Princess directly and get as much help as you can from them. I don't agree that the entire thing can be fixed for free if the air portion has been ticketed in the wrong name though. The airline will definitely charge a fee and Princess is not going to eat that cost since this was your error.

Whoever you speak to next, I recommend having some paper and a pen handy and taking notes and asking questions until you understand exactly what they are charging you for and what alternatives you have. You have a right to know how much of the change fee is related to the airfare, how much is the TA's service charge, why there's a cost related to the two people who were ticketed correctly, etc.

Just to clarify, I don't know anything about your air reservation. I was simply commenting on your cruise. And we did our little tweak about 50 days out (frankly within a week of our booking) so I'm not sure that's a factor.

So called last night, air department was closed, but the gentleman who helped me said likely have a fee for flights to cancel and rebook her. Although in his experience, they have been able to negotiate with airline to waive that fee. So called today, and I was quoted about a $210 price to cancel and rebook for flight. and we won't be able to get anything back from what we pay for the original flight.

But then I asked about changing the name on the cruise itself too, and she said we might have to rebook her on the cruise as well since we start in Vancouver and go to Alaska, and it's international, so we have to use her passport. Because I asked about if we can still board the cruise with her driver's license or green card that shows her maiden and married last name. but since we booked through big box TA, she can't discuss the financials with me and I have to call TA. So now I'm hold there...

Big lesson learned. Ask for everyone's passport before booking! Or...everyone can book their own things next time and I'm not organizing family trips anymore haha.

So called last night, air department was closed, but the gentleman who helped me said likely have a fee for flights to cancel and rebook her. Although in his experience, they have been able to negotiate with airline to waive that fee. So called today, and I was quoted about a $210 price to cancel and rebook for flight. and we won't be able to get anything back from what we pay for the original flight.

But then I asked about changing the name on the cruise itself too, and she said we might have to rebook her on the cruise as well since we start in Vancouver and go to Alaska, and it's international, so we have to use her passport. Because I asked about if we can still board the cruise with her driver's license or green card that shows her maiden and married last name. but since we booked through big box TA, she can't discuss the financials with me and I have to call TA. So now I'm hold there...

Big lesson learned. Ask for everyone's passport before booking! Or...everyone can book their own things next time and I'm not organizing family trips anymore haha.

Keep arguing about cancel and rebook the cruise. You can substitute a passenger on a cruise at no fee until close to cruising and minimal fee after that. For instance, I could cancel my daughter and take my niece at almost no increased cost. You should be able to substitute Mary Jones for Mary J Smith at minimal or no cost.

The flights are a different issue and it looks like you have your answer there.

The easiest way I've found to organize a family trip is to select your date and your REAL travel agent. (not a big box booking agent). Then each nuclear family can contact the TA individually and arrange their cabin, pay their bill, etc. It takes care of the whole issue of who wants to pay for a balcony while someone else wants an inside, and totally gets YOU out of the picture. And if there is a mistake made, it is between the TA and the individual, again, not on you. All you have to do is call the TA and say something like, "These members of my family are going to be calling you and booking several cabins. Each booking is that individual's responsibility." Done.

Yay done! $163.30 cancellation fee for the flight, and rebooked it at a price that was slightly more than we paid for, so in total about $210. No getting around the flight thing. And cruise name was corrected without any fees. Thank you everyone for the advice!

Yay done! $163.30 cancellation fee for the flight, and rebooked it at a price that was slightly more than we paid for, so in total about $210. No getting around the flight thing. And cruise name was corrected without any fees. Thank you everyone for the advice!

All should be aware that Big Box Store Travel Agents and travel agencies in general have error and omission insurance to cover them for errors. If it was me, I would pursue reimbursement for the additional fees associated with this error. Frankly, your MIL could have traveled with her passport even though it has her maiden name. All she would have needed for the cruise would have been a copy of her marriage certificate. Newlyweds don't often renew passports upon marriage; just have a copy of a marriage license.