How do these "new names" get automatically added to a roll call?

Markanddonna

I've been on several roll calls and often see this message and nothing else:

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you!

- This is an autopost from a new member to Cruise Critic; please welcome them to your Roll Call!

The posting itself has the person's CC name, but it doesn't seem as though the person has made any effort to join the established roll call. Those two sentences indicate that the person is a NEW member of Cruise Critic, but then it shows the person has been a CC member for several years.

Why does CC do this? It is so much better when people introduce themselves. Unless they do, I don't really consider them part of the roll call and these posts just clog up the roll call.

good question

maybe when a person looks at the roll call CC assumes they are on that sailing & it generates the message

I agree it is slightly annoying as some people never post that they are actually on the sailing

Maybe one of the CC moderators gets email notifications from someone at the cruise line(s) when a CC member books a cruise, then automatically posts the message to the appropriate roll call. I wonder if there's ever been a roll call created that consisted only of autoposts, with no one actually joining the roll call?

It is generated when a person uses the CC Find a Roll Call tool.

As best I can tell. in most cases the individual does not know about the post

So are you saying that if I look at a specific roll call (with no intention of even booking the cruise but just being curious/nosy) I generate a welcome to the roll call posting?

Gosh, I'm on lots of cruises :D

So are you saying that if I look at a specific roll call (with no intention of even booking the cruise but just being curious/nosy) I generate a welcome to the roll call posting?

Gosh, I'm on lots of cruises :D

No, it doesn’t work that way. You can lurk on as many Roll calls as you want.