Jade - heard them call a “code alpha” last night

Anniam6

we are on the Jade and heard a “code alpha” last night. Anyone know what’s going on? I know it’s a medical emergency or death. It was on our floor and that section was closed off for a long time.

we are on the Jade and heard a “code alpha” last night. Anyone know what’s going on? I know it’s a medical emergency or death. It was on our floor and that section was closed off for a long time.
You are on the ship AND the floor where this occurred. I would think that you should be telling us what's going on.

Annnddd cue the popcorn... obviously they did not know what happened, thus the post.
Are you sure? In my experience, when someone at the scene doesn't know what happened, they simply just ask one of the other people who were there to explain. They generally don't seek answers from people who aren't there and would have no way of knowing.

But you know what happened, a medical emergency. Do you really need details?

That's how I feel.

My city is going through this with a teacher who had a medical issue. Most people are posting "Oh, she deserves her privacy, but I want to know know everything that happened in timeline form and to see her medical records."

Uh, it's a medical issue. Unless it affects you (like Norovirus), you've got enough info. Let it go.

Especially on a cruise, with all the elderly or those in less than top physical condition, unless the medical emergency requires security (as in assault, etc.), it's common and to be expected honestly.

I don't know what it is when a simple question is asked and people have all sorts of uptight reactions. If you know the answer then say so, if you don't then just let it go. No need to get so uptight, man.

Edited by MizDemeanor

On the Gem December 12, 2017 they called a code alpha before we even left the pier. Finished lunch in the GP around 1 and went to the atrium bar for drinks. Met the person they called the code on, and he was drinking Dewars after Dewars. He was a nice guy, but at around 3 pm, he was falling off his stool, and the code was called. Poor guy apparently had some acute alcohol poisoning. We did not see him again, so they must have sent him to the hospital.

We were not still drinking at 3pm, but happened to be trying to cut thru the atrium.

Hopefully the person is going to be OK what ever it is that happened. It's weird even around our neighborhood when the ambulance comes, we never know what is wrong at the time with the person, sometimes it would be easier to know so we can take a deep breath for them and think deeply about them being Ok, that they will be OK...and we hope that all will be well with them no matter what. Hard to shake off being on a vacation and thinking of needing medical services that severely.

Hopefully the person is going to be OK what ever it is that happened. It's weird even around our neighborhood when the ambulance comes, we never know what is wrong at the time with the person, sometimes it would be easier to know so we can take a deep breath for them and think deeply about them being Ok, that they will be OK...and we hope that all will be well with them no matter what. Hard to shake off being on a vacation and thinking of needing medical services that severely.

"sometimes it would be easier to know so we can take a deep breath for them and think deeply about them being Ok, that they will be OK...and we hope that all will be well with them no matter what."

You are absolutely right about that...it would be easier, as you describe.

If I may ask: When something like this happens around your neighborhood and you want to know what is going on, do you ask your neighbors what happened, or do you find you get better answers by asking people who are hundreds or thousand miles away on the Internet?

I wonder what the reason would be for announcing any medical emergency over the PA system, I thought these days officers and medical personnel had phones or radios on their person, where they could be privately notified where the emergency was and to go there.

"sometimes it would be easier to know so we can take a deep breath for them and think deeply about them being Ok, that they will be OK...and we hope that all will be well with them no matter what."

You are absolutely right about that...it would be easier, as you describe.

If I may ask: When something like this happens around your neighborhood and you want to know what is going on, do you ask your neighbors what happened, or do you find you get better answers by asking people who are hundreds or thousand miles away on the Internet?

Cruise Critic is as good as a local neighbor in many ways. There easily could have been someone on the same cruise that has insight.

People often confuse land life and cruise life. They are two very different worlds. For example, questions that I may have on land and at my home are not at all connected to what goes on on Cruise Critic. So no, I would not ask anyone on this board what they knew about the guy down the street from my house.

Cruise Critic is as good as a local neighbor in many ways. There easily could have been someone on the same cruise that has insight.

People often confuse land life and cruise life. They are two very different worlds. For example, questions that I may have on land and at my home are not at all connected to what goes on on Cruise Critic. So no, I would not ask anyone on this board what they knew about the guy down the street from my house.

You are right again. I guess there is a chance someone from the cruise, who also had knowledge of what happened, you also happened to be a Cruise Critic member, could have been here waiting in case someone asked. Probably a much better alternative than asking one of the many people around you...all of whom were there.

Not sure about your second point...seems to be a contradiction. Maybe somebody down the street from your house is also a Cruise Critic member....:rolleyes:

You are right again. I guess there is a chance someone from the cruise, who also had knowledge of what happened, you also happened to be a Cruise Critic member, could have been here waiting in case someone asked. Probably a much better alternative than asking one of the many people around you...all of whom were there.

Not sure about your second point...seems to be a contradiction. Maybe somebody down the street from your house is also a Cruise Critic member....:rolleyes:

Don't be a putz. ;p

It seems to me that no one was out and about in the hallway area that was cordoned off for this poor person in need or this poster would be telling us what was going on. And as you already know, the stateside EXPERTS on Cruise Critic are always ready to share information of goings on around the ships with other Cruise Critic members. Even if they make up the stories to suit the occassion to add to their post counts.

Don't be a putz. ;p

It seems to me that no one was out and about in the hallway area that was coodned off for this poor person in need or this poster would be telling us what was going on. And as you already know, the stateside EXPERTS on Cruise Critic are always ready to share information of goings on around the ships with other Cruise Critic members. Even if they make up the stories to suit the occassion.

Wow...said that you were right twice, and your go-to is still name calling and insults :rolleyes:

BTW...How do you know that no one was out and about in the hallway? Or is that an example of a stateside expert making up a story to suit the occasion?

I don't know what it is when a simple question is asked and people have all sorts of uptight reactions. If you know the answer then say so, if you don't then just let it go. No need to get so uptight, man.

I agree

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow...said that you were right twice, and your go-to is still name calling and insults :rolleyes:

BTW...How do you know that no one was out and about in the hallway? Or is that an example of a stateside expert making up a story to suit the occasion?

Why don't you ask OP more about where they were and why they don't know what was going on. Seems you might give them some guff for not being on top of the stiuation since they were right there and that they failed to dig in and be sure to answer their own question FIRST and not bother certain CC members with their trivialities.

Ok SHARK?

Did you have hear the expression that there is no stupid question??

Things are often reported on the news that people on a cruise ship are not privy to. And this is supposed to be a supportive forum where people should not feel humiliated for asking a question.

Practice kindness, people!

Just MHO

Why don't you ask OP more about where they were and why they don't know what was going on. Seems you might give them some guff for not being on top of the stiuation since they were right there and that they failed to dig in and be sure to answer their own question FIRST and not bother certain CC members with their trivialities.

Ok SHARK?

Well, I'm not going to ask the OP where they were, you know, given that they've already said as much. I'm not going to give the OP guff either as it would seem to be redundant given what you've already said about them.