Back From AOS 8/29 - Great Time!!!

niecyd

Back from AOS – Hello all, my family and I had a wonderful time on the cruise. There was a slight change in the itinerary because of Hurricane Frances but we were able to make all of the ports. We were supposed to be at St. Maarten on Tues. but we stayed out sea and went St. Maarten on Saturday instead of being out sea. The captain just made a switch. That was fine with me. When I first saw this ship, I was just in awe. It was huge and beautiful. We had the Superior Oceanview Balcony (hump) cabin (9322). It was very spacious. Bathroom was nice with round glass shower doors. Here is my cruise review. No shore excursions – did everything on our own. Sorry if sentences are incomplete – just got in late yesterday from Puerto Rico.

Sunday – Puerto Rico

We had a smooth flight from NewarkAirport to San Juan. San Juan airport was very confusing. Need more signs for direction. Arrived at 10:45 and was eating lunch at the Windjammer Café (Deck11) around 12:30 p.m. Nice! Smooth process. (did guest information forms on the Royal Caribbean Online a few months back and had passport ready.) After lunch, checked out our cabin and there was a complementary wine from our travel agent. Nice. I played golf on top deck then took a nap. After nap, I went to explore the ship – very huge. Made appointment at the spa, had a snack at Café Promenade ( a 24hour snack with pizzas, sandwiches, ice cream, etc.), relaxed on my balcony until the call for muster drill and then had dinner at the Windjammer. It was great! Adventure Parade was at midnight.

Monday – St. Thomas

Woke up at 6 a.m. – watch the sunrise in St. Thomas on my balcony. Beautiful!!!!!!!!! Went to the morning stretch and dance aerobics at the Shipshape Gym at 7:30 a.m., had breakfast at Windjammer (food not that bad) then went to explore St. Thomas for shopping. Took a nice walking tour from ship to downtown (2 ½ miles) (prices cheaper downtown than at the pier (Havensight Mall). Got a lot of shopping done and took the taxi back to the ship @ 3 p .m. Had lunch at Johnny Rockets – Ummmm. As soon as you sit down, they give you these large onions rings and french fries right a way. Very nice. I just order the St. Louis burger and a strawberry malted milkshake. ( yummy, their food is out of this world). Only drinks are charged. After late lunch, went to the Solarium and relaxed in the hot tub. Went back to cabin to change to get tickets for the next day’s Ice Show (this ship has an ice rink – that’s crazy). Captain announced on the speaker that instead of St. Maarten, we will be at sea. I was disappointed then he said we will arrive there on Saturday. Yes. Had formal dinner (second seating) at the Strauss Dining Room. Waiter – Rinaldo(name misspelled) from Philipines. He was great. The captain’s gala was very nice. At this time, the ship was rocking a little bit because of Hurricane Frances. The rocking made me very sleepy, so I went to bed.

Tuesday – At Sea

Woke up at 5 a.m., sat on the balcony and enjoyed watching the full moon and listening to the waves –ahhhhh. I didn’t realized I had fallen back to sleep on the balcony. Now that’s a vacation. Shower and had breakfast and lunch at the Windjammer. Husband and I walked around the ship’s jogging track 5 times (5x’s = 1 mile). Top deck was crowded because of day at sea. Took a nap while husband/son went to basketball competition. I missed the men’s bellyflop. Went to the movies (I forgot I was on a ship) that’s pretty cool. Then I went to the Ice Show and Love and Marriage Game show (not to be missed). At 11:30, we went “Dancing Under the Stars” a party around the pool until 1 a.m.

Wednesday – Antigua

Woke up 6:15 went on the balcony and saw the island from a distance. Had breakfast on balcony, went to my appointment at the spa (ahhhhh) had lunch at Windjammer and went shopping in Antigua, came back to ship, took a nap and then went to the Crown and Anchor Welcome Back party. The hors d'oeuvre and cocktails were flowing quite frequently. It was very nice. Went to the Latin Fiesta on Deck 11 and went to bed around 2 a.m.

Thursday – St. Lucia

Woke up a 6 a.m. went on the balcony and it was just a beautiful sunny morning. Saw the Pitons Volcano and took pictures. Went to breakfast and out for swimming and shopping at St. Lucia. Our taxi driver (forgot his name) took us on a tour to St. Lucia. The mountains were gorgeous. We wanted to go to MarigotBay which was south of Castries. As soon as we got there, the beach looked very small so he suggested RodneyBay which was north. He was nice enough to take us there. It took us 45 minutes from where we were but it was a nice tour beautiful resorts. Arrived at Rodney Bay and we were just elated. Huge beach/marina with blue green waters. I had a wonderful time in the water. Our same taxi met us 2 ½ hours later to take us downtown for shopping. He was on time. After shopping, we walked back to the ship (15 mins.) Had late lunch, took a nap and went to 2nd Formal Dinner Night. It was Lobster and Prime Rib night. After dinner, changed into something casual and walked around the ship until Midnight Buffet. I was full to eat desserts, just wanted to take pictures and go to bed.

Friday – Barbados

Woke up around 6 a.m. went on the balcony – didn’t like the view (shipping yard). Went to breakfast at Windjammer had headed for the beach and shopping. Took taxi to MalibuBeach (water was just pristine, crystal clear). Stayed in the water for a few hours then went shopping. Went back to the ship and had a late lunch in the Windjammer until our dinner in the Strauss Dining room. Afterwards, went to the Adventure Gameshow – everyone must see, it was a so funny. Then went dancing at the Jester’s Nightclub until 2 a.m.

Saturday – St. Maarten

The ship was not going to arrive in port until 12 noon – 5pm because of changed itinerary. So I slepted a little late and woke up around 8:30 a.m. I just relaxed in my cabin watched CNN to catch up on the news regarding Hurricane Frances and found out there was another Hurricane (Ivan) Wow. Had breakfast and took a water taxi to GreatBay for swimming and shopping. Went back to ship and had dinner at Windjammer. After dinner, we started to pack realizing our vacation is almost over. Went to Farewell Show, had late snack at Café Promenade and went to bed.

Sunday – Puerto Rico

Disembarkation went very slow - security at customs were very, very tight. It took us 2 ½ hours just to get to our luggages. We stayed an extra day at El Prado Inn in Condado (outside san juan). Took a bus (25 cents) to Old San Juan and went shopping and took pictures. Didn’t get a change to go to El Yunque Rainforrest. Maybe next time. Be glad to answer any questions – mrsdld@hotmail.com

Sorry for the lengthy comments but had a wonderful time. Will be going on another cruise next year. I will have pictures soon.

Welcome home....sounds like you had a blast. Great review....I loved hearing how you spent your days....seems like perfect blend of activity and relaxation. Hope to be sitting on my balconey soon listening to the waves and sipping something nice. :p

everyotheryear - I would say don't missed the Love and Marriage Game. It's a riot. It's like the Newlywed game but some that participated were married for over 35 years. The answers to the questions were very funny. I would also say don't missed the Adventure Gameshow - it is only for adults. The things people would do for tee shirts. It was hilarious. If you love desserts, go to the midnight buffet. I was too full from dinner so I couldn't eat anything else. I didn't think to take some back to my room and put it in the refrig. The desserts in the Cafe Promenade were delicious. I don't know what it was called - the name was in French but it was tasty.:p

I'll be on the Aruba itinerary in November.:D Boy I wish it would hurry up and get here!!:)

Hi atonal1 from Tom Joyner page - I know you will have a good time. When you get back from Aruba, let me know how was it as I would like to go there next.;)

Archived